Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Toyota Prius: Need serious opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 02:42 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Toyota Prius: Need serious opinions

I realize that this is probably the most obscene topic for this forum, but I know some of you guys like being economical Anyways, I am considering something like a Prius or similar vehicle as my girlfriend just left for the Navy and I soon will be making a 1200 mile round trip commute several times a month. My Viper and Tundra, both averaging 16mpg, just wont cut it.

Here are my concerns... I'm trying to stay within a $10K budget. This puts me in the ballpark of a 6-8 year old vehicle with roughly 100k miles. A Prius seems like the best choice until you consider the cost of battery replacement. From the little research I've done, some owners have needed replacement at 150K miles, although Toyota says some batteries will last much longer. Either way, I feel like I would be taking a gamble if I bought one with 100K miles, and possibly having to spend ~ $2,500 on battery replacement shortly after. Also, I know the Prius changed some over the years... Are there any particular years that were better than the other, or any years to stay away from?

Another option I have considered is the VW Jetta TDI wagon. It should be noted that I prefer the wagon configuration of the Prius and Jetta, as I do need the room to haul some work supplies. The TDI will see 40mpg, without the worry of battery replacement. Again, I would be looking with something at the 100k mile mark, to stay within budget.

I have no experience with VW, but reliability and being economical is my biggest concern. If the car is costing money to maintain and repair, it defeats the whole purpose just to save some MPG's.

So what do you guys suggest? I'm going for the most MPG's, with the reliability to go with it, and preferably something in a hatchback/wagon configuration.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2016, 07:37 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I drove a Prius as a work car on very short trips on and off the freeway. Perfectly good car for what it's designed for. My X has one that has seen many round trips from NorCal to SoCal with no problems. That said, they simply don't have enough power for me. What I can't get past though, is your expectation of having a reliable car good for 'several 1,200 mile trips' every month for under 10K. Several would be at least three and maybe four and that's 3,600-4,800 miles per month. That's a lot of reliability for a car with 100K already on it.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:43 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Long HWY driving is much better suited for a diesel than a hybrid where you're hauling batteries that you aren't using. Not to mention those seats suck for long haul and that CVT is nasty on the highway.

Have you looked into a used Cruze Eco? 40+ MPG gas engine. Wonder if you can score one of those in the $10k range?

Yeah, 2012 for $10,999 with 36k on it

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...419_isFeatured

Frankly, for highway driving, once you get over mid 30s on MPG you're not saving THAT much money on gas. It's diminishing returns.

Last edited by lionsfan5454; 06-28-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:52 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I would stay away from the prius, too much to go wrong that only a dealer can fix. VW diesel is not a bad choice, neither is the Cruze. Make sure the seats are comfortable for those long hauls, you might want to give up a few MPG for some more interior space/more power/smoother ride of a bigger car if you plan on making that trip regularly.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:23 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

I don't mind the Cruze... But again, I prefer the hatch style configuration as work requires some decent room in the back for supplies etc...

After looking further, I have found several 2011-2012 Prius's with roughly 60K miles for around $12K, which would still have the factory 100K mi warrant in tact. It would be nice having a factory warranty for peace of mind.

Now, the VW diesel. What is reliability like on these? I know the engine might be pretty stout, but what about other problematic areas that can come with the German cars?

Again, reliability and upkeep cost is the biggest factor or it totally defeats the purpose of the whole idea.

Last edited by ck9887; 06-28-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:34 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4638/overview/

Here's an example... 55K miles so this car would still have another 45K miles of factory warranty. I have read the seats can be a bit uncomfortable but I'm also young and am willing to sacrifice some comfort (as long as it's not like riding a moped down the interstate)...

I have even made 7-8 hour trips in my Gen 3 Viper...

Last edited by ck9887; 06-28-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:37 PM
mainecobra
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Get a nice honda civic and call it a day. I was getting close to 40 mpg hwy with mine. Cant beat them and for your 10k budget you can get a nice 08 and up civic. They last forever no battieries to replace ect.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:42 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

I understand that, my issue is the space. A trunk is not sufficient. I need something similar to an SUV where the seats lay flat with a nice platform.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:54 PM
mainecobra
Pro

Gotcha you need a hatch. Then im with you only option is a prius. No way on a vw, let me say that again NO WAY!!! I have family that have priuses they are great cars. Plain and simple toyota makes a great car. They dont really have issues either. They have been around for a while now and the batteries last and long time. You said you found 11-12' with 60k in your price range id say find the cleanest lowest mileage one with a good service history and buy it. Its so nice to have a vehicle that fits your needs and gets great mpg. Thats how i do it also. Have a new Ram, my z06 in the garage and my honda. We take the honda all the time as its great on gas and i bought it to drive. Im a car guy and do sick amount of research before i buy anything and im telling you if i was you with your needs id buy the prius hands down. They are great cars. Also just cant remeber if it has a hatch but the chevy volt is nice also. I think you will really like the prius though. Its so quite and getting 50+ mpg is just amazing. You have your beast for your hp fix.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:45 AM
pappy.72
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Just rent a car each time you make the trip.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:41 AM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Mazda3 hatch?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...842_isFeatured

I'll say it again... a Prius is an awful highway car. It's GREAT for city driving, commuting, urban driving. But for just gobbling up miles it's brutal. That CVT is brutal, the seats suck and the sound deadening is nothing special. And, you're hauling around all the hybrid stuff that is adding ZERO MPG at highway cruising speeds.

Or, how about a Focus hatch?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=137313846

Plenty of those out there in the $10k range. Quite reliable, not bad looking, somewhat fun to drive (compared to a Prius) and will do just fine HWY MPG

But, you're a young guy who is already making some questionable decisions but knows everything, so I'm sure you're going to get the Prius anyway based on your comments and responses.

Last edited by lionsfan5454; 06-29-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:05 AM
Closer_2001
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ck9887
1200 mile round trip commute several times a month.
that's a 2 day drive. Fly. SWA sales are your friend.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:19 AM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lionsfan5454
Mazda3 hatch?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...842_isFeatured

I'll say it again... a Prius is an awful highway car. It's GREAT for city driving, commuting, urban driving. But for just gobbling up miles it's brutal. That CVT is brutal, the seats suck and the sound deadening is nothing special. And, you're hauling around all the hybrid stuff that is adding ZERO MPG at highway cruising speeds.

Or, how about a Focus hatch?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=137313846

Plenty of those out there in the $10k range. Quite reliable, not bad looking, somewhat fun to drive (compared to a Prius) and will do just fine HWY MPG

But, you're a young guy who is already making some questionable decisions but knows everything, so I'm sure you're going to get the Prius anyway based on your comments and responses.
I actually like the Mazda 3 hatch and Focus hatch... I didn't know their MPG was around 40 hwy so now those are an option. I will begin my research on those as well.

Between the Focus and Mazda 3, anyone have any pros/cons?
Old 06-29-2016, 11:57 AM
mainecobra
Pro

Ha ha yea great cars if u like losing 75% of your value buy the time its paid off. Mazda junk ford focus junk both these cars are plaugued with issues and have a awful low factory warranty of 36k. If your going to go anywhere on that side of cars why not get a kia soul with 100k warranty they are cheap and get good mpg. You need to go test drive stuff your self. Many people think the z06 seats are awful too as i dont have a issue with mine or the interior. but no way wouod i buy a ford or a mazda which is a ford. You giys are scaring me this is a corvette forum and you are telling him to buy a mazda or a ford focus? Should i take cover as the world is ending? Lol.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:26 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

I actually like the Mazda 3 hatch and Focus hatch... I didn't know their MPG was around 40 hwy so now those are an option. I will begin my research on those as well.

Between the Focus and Mazda 3, anyone have any pros/cons?
The Ford has a nicer interior with better sound deadening.

This chick had better be the hottest piece of _ _ _ ever for multiple 1,200 mile round trips per month
Old 06-29-2016, 12:29 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mainecobra
Ha ha yea great cars if u like losing 75% of your value buy the time its paid off. Mazda junk ford focus junk both these cars are plaugued with issues and have a awful low factory warranty of 36k. If your going to go anywhere on that side of cars why not get a kia soul with 100k warranty they are cheap and get good mpg. You need to go test drive stuff your self. Many people think the z06 seats are awful too as i dont have a issue with mine or the interior. but no way wouod i buy a ford or a mazda which is a ford. You giys are scaring me this is a corvette forum and you are telling him to buy a mazda or a ford focus? Should i take cover as the world is ending? Lol.
1. He's buying used, the depreciation hit has already happened

2. You tell him to buy a new car but you're worried about depreciation? The Kia is gonna depreciate just as fast as the Ford and the Mazda

3. All 3 cars have very similar quality. And, save me the JD Power link on the Ford. It got dinged for 2 things
a. People don't like Synch
b. People don't like the way the dual clutch trans shifts at low speeds

4. FFS, you're telling him to buy this

It also barely gets 30 mpg HWY and the OP is gonna be a mileage warrior. It's a crummy choice for him
Old 06-29-2016, 12:48 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lionsfan5454
The Ford has a nicer interior with better sound deadening.

This chick had better be the hottest piece of _ _ _ ever for multiple 1,200 mile round trips per month
Realistically, it will probably be two trips a month... She will make the trip probably once a month as well.

I really like the updates on the 2014 Mazda 3, but don't know that it's worth the extra dough when my primary concern is being economical.
And that Titanium Focus is pretty sharp, not so much for the base models.

Get notified of new replies

To Toyota Prius: Need serious opinions

Old 06-29-2016, 01:55 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Realistically, it will probably be two trips a month... She will make the trip probably once a month as well.

I really like the updates on the 2014 Mazda 3, but don't know that it's worth the extra dough when my primary concern is being economical.
And that Titanium Focus is pretty sharp, not so much for the base models.
As many miles as you're going to put on this car, you need to approach it as a disposable item. Forget about cool options or how it looks. You're gonna run this thing into the ground. So get one with cruise, a decent stereo and A/C that works and call it good
Old 06-29-2016, 05:03 PM
ck9887
Burning Brakes

Right you are
Old 06-29-2016, 10:38 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Now, the VW diesel. What is reliability like on these? I know the engine might be pretty stout, but what about other problematic areas that can come with the German cars?

Again, reliability and upkeep cost is the biggest factor or it totally defeats the purpose of the whole idea.
Mrs raff is on her 3rd VW in the last 15 years.
The first 2 were the 1.8 turbo (gas) and the current is a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen Tdi.
Other than routine oil/filter changes none ever required a dealer visit for a problem.
For your use -- a diesel Sportwagen should give you the comfort, room and mileage you're looking for.