Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2002 Audi A6 2.7T twin turbo - woop woop noise I can't figure out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 05:30 PM
X-ZZ4
Team Owner

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default 2002 Audi A6 2.7T twin turbo - woop woop noise I can't figure out.

Turbo experts please step in....

Audi forums haven't been a lot of help. Figure I might as well try posting this here as well. It's got upgraded K04 turbos with a stage 3 tune. Should be about a 400hp car with these mods, but I've never dynoed it and I hate autos....hard for my butt dyno to get a good feel, especially pushing 4000 pounds. But when boost is up....I can believe it's 400hp even though it's a dog low in the power band.

Anyway....here's my post on Audizine.....

Pretty much always does it at light to mid throttle going up a hill (under load). Sometimes it surges very lightly, sometimes worse. Not sure if the surge is related, probably. If I just keep the thottle in one spot, especially on a long hill, it will get worse. Give it more gas it will quiet down or go away. I've gone with different air intakes (including the stock airbox), 3 different sets of diverters (2 piston type and tried different springs) and am now using the OEM plastic diaphragm type. Nothing seems to effect this. The sound is driving me nuts....sounds much worse in person. Don't know what it sounds like on the curb as I go by.....but it freaking embarrass me. It will do a very similar sound, louder, like loud chirp/bark, at the shift points at about 3/4 throttle, especially of I let off a bit at the shift.

This video is fairly minor, sometimes much worse.

The car runs very well wide open throttle. Here's 20-95. Pulls good and smooth. And no barking/chirping/wooping. Just a smooth "swoosh" at the shift points like it shoiuld.

But this mid-throttle/load thing is driving me nuts. I assume it has to be turbo related somehow, but I sure as hell can't pinpoint it.

Last edited by X-ZZ4; 06-28-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:42 PM
mainecobra
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Who tuned the car? If your running a canned " stage 3 " tune thats your issue. You cant upgrade to ko4 turbos and run a canned tune. You need to go get your car to a reputible tiner get on a dyno and get it protuned with correct software.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:43 AM
X-ZZ4
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by mainecobra
Who tuned the car? If your running a canned " stage 3 " tune thats your issue. You cant upgrade to ko4 turbos and run a canned tune. You need to go get your car to a reputible tiner get on a dyno and get it protuned with correct software.
The tune is for the K04's. It's this setup right here.

https://store.034motorsport.com/turb...3-rs4-k04.html

Nobody local will tune this car. It's sure as hell not like tuning a Mustang or Vette where tuners are a dime a dozen. I did find one place that wanted $1600 but said right up front they wouldn't guarantee the tune, and I didn't even mention the noise. I just wanted it to pass smog....but I worked around that issue.

Last edited by X-ZZ4; 06-29-2016 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:31 AM
mainecobra
Pro

Ok so looks like you have a tuned ecu that goes with the kit. Have you tried calling some audi/ vw tuners and send them that video? There are some good tuners out there Brentuning, hoffman tuning in florida and toms of others. Im in yiur same boat up here in maine zero good tuners. I have to drive 6 hours one way to even get my z06 tuned and worked on. It stinks for sure
Old 06-29-2016, 09:52 AM
X-ZZ4
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated. I'm certainly at wits end myself. The tune on these things is incredibly sensitive. Just changing intakes or MAF housings will not just effect power like on a "normal car" but throw it into limp mode....so I really don't think this issue is tune related. If the tune is even slightly off you definitely know it.

It's a great car in great shape with great power (for what it is)....except this stupid issue. I think taking it in for a vacuum leak / boost leak test is my next step before messing with the tune. I knew I was in for adventure with this car....but now its pushing the limits of my patience.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:02 AM
X-ZZ4
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

One of my thoughts has also been wastegate flutter. Closest thing I can find to the sound while searching.

But that seems more prevalent at blow off, not at medium acceleration, at least from what I can see. But hell, I don't know.

Hmmm.....got to about 1:50 of that video. That starts to sound similar.

Last edited by X-ZZ4; 06-29-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:21 AM
mainecobra
Pro

Originally Posted by X-ZZ4
Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated. I'm certainly at wits end myself. The tune on these things is incredibly sensitive. Just changing intakes or MAF housings will not just effect power like on a "normal car" but throw it into limp mode....so I really don't think this issue is tune related. If the tune is even slightly off you definitely know it.

It's a great car in great shape with great power (for what it is)....except this stupid issue. I think taking it in for a vacuum leak / boost leak test is my next step before messing with the tune. I knew I was in for adventure with this car....but now its pushing the limits of my patience.
Yea ive been there done that also and thats why i will never own audi/ vw again. Just to many electrical issues and random parts fail. Had a s4 just a nightmare so many issues. Yea you may have a boost leak somewhere can always do a seafoam test and check for leaks. Better than paying someone $100 a hour when u can do it your self. If i was you id fix it and sell it as the problems will nevee stop trust me.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:08 AM
X-ZZ4
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

Yea ive been there done that also and thats why i will never own audi/ vw again. Just to many electrical issues and random parts fail. Had a s4 just a nightmare so many issues. Yea you may have a boost leak somewhere can always do a seafoam test and check for leaks. Better than paying someone $100 a hour when u can do it your self. If i was you id fix it and sell it as the problems will nevee stop trust me.
Yeah.....I'm beginning to see the "never stop" stuff. That's the case with most cars this age.....but these cars are definitely high up on the "never stop" chain.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:18 AM
mainecobra
Pro

I agree until you said " most cars this age" its not most cars its audis they suck plain and simple. I hate to say that but its true. Look at when audi built the v8 in the s4. That motor blows left and right doe to timing chain failure and there is zero fix. The list goes on and on with audi and just poor engineering. So you can get a really good car same year say a nice evo ect if u want something fast, or get a nice Honda if u want something realiable and then get a real car so u can really fill your hp fix ( c5 z06/ 03-04 cobra). With all the money u spend fixing the audi and the crap mpg and needing premium fuel why even keep it? I always have a beast in the garage and a nice clean honda for my dd. Also have a new ram as i have issues with cars. But if i was you id dump the audi as its a money pit. If u want a 4 door go tect drive a srt8 300 or charger or a ctsv now those cars are a amazing sedan.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:56 AM
X-ZZ4
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

I agree until you said " most cars this age" its not most cars its audis they suck plain and simple. I hate to say that but its true. Look at when audi built the v8 in the s4. That motor blows left and right doe to timing chain failure and there is zero fix. The list goes on and on with audi and just poor engineering. So you can get a really good car same year say a nice evo ect if u want something fast, or get a nice Honda if u want something realiable and then get a real car so u can really fill your hp fix ( c5 z06/ 03-04 cobra). With all the money u spend fixing the audi and the crap mpg and needing premium fuel why even keep it? I always have a beast in the garage and a nice clean honda for my dd. Also have a new ram as i have issues with cars. But if i was you id dump the audi as its a money pit. If u want a 4 door go tect drive a srt8 300 or charger or a ctsv now those cars are a amazing sedan.
I get what you're saying. And you're right about the Audis it seems. This is my first, but seeing the crap on forums it's not like I got a lemon, I got a typical one....

I have other cars, so the reliability isn't a concern. This is a toy, and at first I liked the challenge of something different. I'm not sure I'd say poorly engineered like you did, I'd more say over engineered. And it just doesn't seem Audi cares that at 8-10 years it's lifespan is pretty much done. I bought the car for fairly cheap with the turbo setup already on it (obviously because it had already blown the OEM turbos), and it ran good. So the previous guy did most of the heavy spending already. Looks great inside and out as well. I really like the idea of the mid size luxury car with a twin turbo engine. Definitely something different...at least to me.

But when I was looking for a used German luxury car I was warned about BMW's....told "they're great when they're young and under warranty"......and "I'd never own another outside of warranty". It seems Audi's are even worse. Thank God I'm able to do most everything myself, and that the internet exists for parts....otherwise I would have dumped it to another fool a while ago....

And let's not even get into the MPG. Best I get out of it is not quite 20 on the highway. Not even close to what my LS based Vette or GTO does....and the Audi has way less performance than the LS cars.

Last edited by X-ZZ4; 06-29-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:11 PM
mainecobra
Pro

I get what you're saying. And you're right about the Audis it seems. This is my first, but seeing the crap on forums it's not like I got a lemon, I got a typical one....

I have other cars, so the reliability isn't a concern. This is a toy, and at first I like the challenge of something different. I'm not sure I'd say poorly engineered like you did, I'd more say over engineered. And it just doesn't seem Audi cares that at 8-10 years it's lifespan is pretty much done. I bought the car for fairly cheap with the turbo setup already on it (obviously because it had already blown the OEM turbos), and it ran good. Looks great inside and out as well. I really like the idea of the mid size luxury car with a twin turbo engine. Definitely something different...at least to me.

But when I was looking for a used German luxury car I was warned about BMW's....told "they're great when they're young and under warranty"......and "I'd never own another outside of warranty". It seems Audi's are even worse. Thank God I'm able to do most everything myself, and that the internet exists for parts....otherwise I would have dumped it to another fool a while ago....
I agree completley and have owned audi and bmw m3. I was thinking exactly like you as i wanted something different and love the interiors ect. But at the end of the day there is a reason everyone says stay away not because they cant fix them and dont have as much mechanical knowledge as i fix my own also. But why does someone want to fix something all the time and have the parts cost double a chevy part. Its not enjoyable at that point and thats whats its all about. So as a toy i bought the car eveyine says is amazing and guess what it is!!! I currently have a 2003 z06 , i will destroy everything on the road most of the time, its super cheap to maintain, parts are cheap, i get 30mpg hwy if im not going crazy. And they virtually have zero issues. I still look when a nice built up m3 goes by ect but its just to expensive to fix and a headache as they always need work. So do your self a favor and get rid of the audi and get into a z06 or a 03-04 cobra as these are real cars and there is a reason everyone wants them.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:14 PM
mainecobra
Pro

And thats if u want a coupe. If not go drive like i said srt8 300 / charger plenty of room on those to mod and make it your own. The right wheels on those cars make the world of difference. Than u can do a sick audio system ect. And they are still muscle cars that dont screw up like the audi.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:31 PM
X-ZZ4
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

I actually posted this car on craiglist a while ago. I was offered an '03 Mustang GT as trade that looked pretty nice. But I do hate the interiors on those, and I do like nice interiors. Of course, if it was a Cobra I would have jumped on it.....I could overcome the interior issues with one of those.

But really different cars for different purposes. I'm getting a bit older now....so I'm trending away from a Mustang type car. I loved my GTO (and nicer interior too).....but same thing there....different purpose than the Audi for me. Probably should just "man up" and spend the money on a much newer one if I want to stay in the luxury market though.

I think my next serious performance car will be an early C6Z......can't beat those things and I just love the looks. Same thing as your C5Z....a few minor mods and there ain't a lot that will touch it....even with some of the insane factory numbers being put out on brand new cars.

Last edited by X-ZZ4; 06-29-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:59 PM
mainecobra
Pro

Well said , you sound like a cool guy. I almost bought a c6z but they have valve guide issues and its about a $5k fix and no one has them fixed. And at the crazy prices of 40k used i cant see spending that much. Yea i had a 03 cobra kb 2.2 600 rwhp but the lack of handling and steering killed it for me. So the c5 z06 was the best value. Yea try to sell the audi and get into something else, not a 03 gt though you will be let down with the 4.6 just not enough power .
Old 06-29-2016, 01:23 PM
X-ZZ4
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

Well said , you sound like a cool guy. I almost bought a c6z but they have valve guide issues and its about a $5k fix and no one has them fixed. And at the crazy prices of 40k used i cant see spending that much. Yea i had a 03 cobra kb 2.2 600 rwhp but the lack of handling and steering killed it for me. So the c5 z06 was the best value. Yea try to sell the audi and get into something else, not a 03 gt though you will be let down with the 4.6 just not enough power .
I'm just a car guy with a variety of tastes, not a "platform snob" at all.

My C5 was basically a Z06 with nitrous after the mods. Loved it. I haven't looked into the technical aspects of the LS7 much really yet, so not aware of the valve issues. And you're right....the C5Z is very, very hard to beat as a bang for the buck car. When I lived in SoCal they were a dime a dozen....so I tired of the C5 "see them at every light" styling . But in this area.....you don't see them much at all. Maybe I'll reconsider.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:15 PM
mainecobra
Pro

Yea im with you on if everyone has the same car that gets old. I foget about that as im in maine so my z06 is rare and no one has one along with most other sports cars lol. Now cant say that about a chevy 4x4 here everyone has one of those!!!
Old 06-30-2016, 05:56 PM
X-ZZ4
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

Following up here with the unbelievable. Audi's are so freaking weird. On the one hand everything is ridiculously priced (I've spent $250 alone on two OEM breather/vacuum hoses ). But then something this simple and cheap, $10......can have this effect. Here's copy paste from my post and another other at the Audizine Forum.

Originally Posted by ImAudiHeree
Sounds like pcv valve to me
Interesting. Thanks. It's brand new....spider hose is brand new. Did it before I changed the spider as well. Honestly, I'm completely stumped. It just has to be vacuum or a boost leak I would think. Maybe I just need to get it in somewhere for a leak test and diagnosis. I just hate taking it in, especially with the mods and tune. Nobody I've already called seems eager to touch it.

Since you mention the pcv like maybe a breather issue......could it possibly be the oil cap? I've freaking replaced everything else. Guess that couldn't hurt.
OH. MY. GOD.

The oil cap arrived from Amazon today. I popped it on and thought nothing more about it. Then later, I left to go to lunch with a friend, from which I just returned. Unbelievably, it made a HUGE difference. My idle is now completely smoothed out and the power on the low end is so much better and so much smoother. And also, what I mentioned about the brakes not working well when cold in one of my last post conversations with julex, well, that's gone now too. The vents on the cap were pretty crusty, and the gasket/seal on it looked questionable as well. But obviously, it had deteriated to the point it was effecting the way the car runs. It is unbelieveable to me what simply replacing the oil cap would do. I had no idea this could possibly do what it did. My woop-woop it still there.....but VERY minor now compared to how it was. Simply speaking, the car drives like a dream now.

I still can't believe it. I'm really waiting for next time I drive it for it not to be like this state of happiness....to revert back to unpleasantness. This has got to be the biggest surprise, and a very pleasant one I've had with this car yet. A $10 oil cap seems to have been one of my problems all along. I seriously would not have thought it possible. Thanks to ImAudiHeree for suggesting the PCV...that's what led me to think, "why not" and replace the cap. Simply unbelievable. I don't know whether to laugh now with excitement.....or cry uncontrollably because this has been at least one cause of my problems all along.

Still thanks to julex to his words of advice as well. I still have, but to a much lesser degree, a little of that woop woop sound and I'll continue to troubleshoot that.....but it is not nearly as bad and the car now drives so much better.

This car is freaking crazy. I've been around cars and worked on cars (mostly GM performance cars) for over 30 years.....and I have never, ever, seen an oil cap cause issues like this. Freaking unbelievable.
Amazing. But good.

Last edited by X-ZZ4; 06-30-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:13 PM
X-ZZ4
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran

Old and new...

Get notified of new replies

To 2002 Audi A6 2.7T twin turbo - woop woop noise I can't figure out.

Quick Reply: 2002 Audi A6 2.7T twin turbo - woop woop noise I can't figure out.