Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Ford's solution to DI intake valve coking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 02:24 AM
Tron1
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Ford's solution to DI intake valve coking?

FORD NEWS:

Second-generation 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine

The engine features an all-new, Ford-first dual-direct and port fuel-injection system. Two injectors per cylinder – one mounted in the intake port where air enters the cylinder and one positioned inside the cylinder – work together to improve power output, efficiency, and emissions.

A Google search of "2017 ford ecoboost v6 with injectors" will reveal the entire media press release.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:43 AM
Friendly guy
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 28 Posts

makes sense, I have learned here that direct injection is best at controlling pre-ignition so compression ratios can be higher plus better fuel economy and emissions. I would think that they have the port fuel injection portion of the charge set at the minimum to accomplish proper cleaning of the valve and stem. Could it be that warranty claims on the direct injection only engines are mounting up?
Old 07-13-2016, 10:35 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I highly doubt the primary motivation is valve cleaning. Total side effect.

Direct injection is not good for bigger power and it was probably necessary to (properly) supply fueling to the GT with only 6 cylinders. OEM's do not push limits like the aftermarket.

The greatest part of the dual setup will be mod-ability. I am definitely getting a Ford GT! (yeah right)
Old 07-13-2016, 11:20 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Friendly guy
makes sense, I have learned here that direct injection is best at controlling pre-ignition so compression ratios can be higher plus better fuel economy and emissions. I would think that they have the port fuel injection portion of the charge set at the minimum to accomplish proper cleaning of the valve and stem. Could it be that warranty claims on the direct injection only engines are mounting up?
from what I learned port injection is actually better under certain conditions.

and vise versa
Old 07-13-2016, 12:23 PM
Tron1
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

More Torque and Better Boost: 2017 Ford F-150 to Debut with All-New 3.5-Liter EcoBoost Engine and 10-Speed Transmission

•Continuously improving for customers, 2017 Ford F-150 doubles down on efficiency, capability and performance with debut of the second-generation 3.5-liter EcoBoost® engine and all-new Ford-built 10-speed automatic transmission
•New 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine provides 30 lb.-ft. more peak torque compared with the first-generation EcoBoost engine, up to a best-in-class 450 lb.-ft. for a V6, beating gasoline- and diesel-powered competitors

The Ford media release focus is upon the 2017 F-150 truck with no mention of the possible solution of the alleged intake valve coking issues.

The full link:
https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...ter-boost.html
Old 07-13-2016, 12:37 PM
LSRX
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I highly doubt the primary motivation is valve cleaning. Total side effect.

Direct injection is not good for bigger power and it was probably necessary to (properly) supply fueling to the GT with only 6 cylinders. OEM's do not push limits like the aftermarket.

The greatest part of the dual setup will be mod-ability. I am definitely getting a Ford GT! (yeah right)
Agreed!
Old 07-16-2016, 12:09 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Toyota has been doing this (well, similar) for years. It's the ONLY good way to do direct injection.

Get notified of new replies

To Ford's solution to DI intake valve coking?