Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Lamborghini Gallardo

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 10:34 AM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Default Lamborghini Gallardo

Thinking about buying one, mid engine, V10, 520 hp, e-gear manual transmission with electronic shifting. Or should I wait for the mid engine corvette? Problems, problems.
Already had my mid age crisis 30 years ago, so this is my old age crisis.
Your thoughts?
Old 07-30-2016, 11:19 AM
Voytek
Team Owner

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts

I had a R8. Basically the same car. You'll be happy with it.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:44 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Fantastic cars: low maintenance, fun, gets looks, sound great and comfortable.

If you're looking at pre-LP, go with '06+. There were a lot of revisions that made the car better to live with. Check out Lambopower for more info on them.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:16 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Voytek
I had a R8. Basically the same car. You'll be happy with it.
Do you like the C7 better than the R8?. Understand they are 2 different type of cars, but with my Formula and sports racers background, I really am sold on mid engine, plus the Gallardo is AWD.
I can do all the service work, so maintance cost would be for parts only.
Wish Chevy would get on or off the pot and release a mid engine vette, or forget about all the rumors.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:30 AM
Voytek
Team Owner

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts

2 different cars... i had a c6z which I loved... the R8 was more for show than anything else... my panny turbo is crazy, just wish they came in manual.

The gated shifter though is awesome. You'll love it. Go test drive it, pretty cool seeing the engine in your rear view mirror.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:44 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I have a 2004 and have had it for 8 years, it has 54,000 miles on it now. For a 12 year old car it still looks great. You mentioned about having AWD well the best thing I ever did to the car was convert it to 2wd, the car is now very neutral handling. The AWD is really only good for launching the car or for driving in snow, it isn't a sophisticated system like on a GTR that will help in corners.

I still love driving this car. I have taken on multiple track days it isn't the best handling car but it is fun especially now that is 2wd.

The most routine maintenance is changing the oil. Transmission fluid seems to need be replaced about every 15,000 miles, you can feel when it needs it. Spark plugs last about 15,000 miles before it starts running rough. The A/C system died last year is the worst problem it has had, the compressor is a stupid design used on Audi V8s that always is engaged there is no clutch.

Beware of haters on this forum who will say you got the cheap Lambo...
Old 08-02-2016, 02:50 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

How does it handle on track? Turn in understeer? Mid corner? These are things I can tune out, what change in handling from AWD to 2 wd?
I am an old road racer so making a car handle is nothing new to me.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:38 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Originally Posted by Racer86
How does it handle on track? Turn in understeer? Mid corner? These are things I can tune out, what change in handling from AWD to 2 wd?
I am an old road racer so making a car handle is nothing new to me.
The AWD setup is like most cars from the factory they understeer. The car seemed ok midcorner and could always power oversteer.

As a 2wd the turn in is so much better, getting that 100+ pounds off the front end did wonders. The car drives smoother too with less unsprung weight. I would never convert the car back to AWD.

When I did track days I never worried about having the stickiest tires on the car, I would rather have crappy tires and drive them at the limit it is still fun. I race chump car, racing at COTA this weekend so I appreciate good handling and fun to drive.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:38 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Thanks for the info, seems like you enjoy the car. I'm looking at 2009 and up. Think I like the coupe better than the rag top.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:07 AM
rgregory
Race Director

Thanks for the info, seems like you enjoy the car. I'm looking at 2009 and up. Think I like the coupe better than the rag top.
Yes I really like the car. I test drove a McLaren 570 a few weeks ago though and it was real nice.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:09 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

570 is a little bit over budget for me. But, can you offer any info to this Lambo newbe ? Do you know what type of differential locking is used on the " baby lambo" is it the same on both ends? Any center clutch? On some units, the locking curve can be adjusted in various ways.
Did join The lambo forums so looking for info there also.
I understand that most all cars are set up for understeer, but like the corvette, it can be tuned out. I was a private driver coach for the Ferrari club of America and have many hours in the 430 with egear. In stock form, it under steered way too much. With several tricks , we got it to handle with the nannies off. Could handle the challenge cars in the corners, but not on the straights.. I can fab sway bars, and have had custom coil springs wound to adjust balance on various race cars over the years in the industry ,
Your opinion, sir, on corner exit, did the AWD help pull the front end, and reduce the oversteer, assuming the rear tires are hooked up?
I will go to Vegas to drive a Gallardo, and see if this is my next car. Or wait for a midengined Corvette .
Thanks for taking the time to help me. Racer86
Old 08-04-2016, 03:29 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

I sell 2WD kits for the Gallardo (Diablo and Murci too) and the conversion makes a HUGE difference in the car. 99.99% of people who convert absolutely love it. The only person that I'e spoken with who didn't like the conversion was TT and had problems putting the power down (double stock power.)

There's a vicious coupler in the middle of the car that sends power to the front, it goes into open mode with the front driveline removed. The car is much more neutral in 2WD, but will still push in corners unless you get a more aggressive alignment.

Last edited by White Out; 08-04-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:40 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Good friend had a 2007 Nera with the e-gear, I drove it on multiple occasions.... Stunning car and sounded awesome, not really that engaging to drive. You could definitely feel the understeer in hard corners and the car was pretty drama free. He ended up selling it and buying a C6 ZR-1 which he enjoyed much more from a driver's standpoint. Obviously the vette didn't garnish the attention the Lambo did but he wasn't concerned about that as he is more about the driving experience. I also drove the ZR-1 on many occasions and I can attest to it being a much more "fun" car to drive. Bottom line is that you have to purchase what is best for you, all of us can add our opinions/experiences but at the end of the day each person likes something different. I wish you the best of luck on sorting out what you want and being happy with it!!!!
Old 08-08-2016, 11:23 AM
rgregory
Race Director

570 is a little bit over budget for me. But, can you offer any info to this Lambo newbe ? Do you know what type of differential locking is used on the " baby lambo" is it the same on both ends? Any center clutch? On some units, the locking curve can be adjusted in various ways.
Did join The lambo forums so looking for info there also.
I understand that most all cars are set up for understeer, but like the corvette, it can be tuned out. I was a private driver coach for the Ferrari club of America and have many hours in the 430 with egear. In stock form, it under steered way too much. With several tricks , we got it to handle with the nannies off. Could handle the challenge cars in the corners, but not on the straights.. I can fab sway bars, and have had custom coil springs wound to adjust balance on various race cars over the years in the industry ,
Your opinion, sir, on corner exit, did the AWD help pull the front end, and reduce the oversteer, assuming the rear tires are hooked up?
I will go to Vegas to drive a Gallardo, and see if this is my next car. Or wait for a midengined Corvette .
Thanks for taking the time to help me. Racer86
The front is an open diff, the rear is a locking diff, the center is a viscous coupling that only transfers power over it gets hot. The only time the front gets power is when the rear is already slipping... which is too late. Yes if you are drifting through a corner the front would get power and help pull you straight, but as you know that isn't the fast way around a corner. When I use to do track events in the car years ago when it was AWD I had a guy in a GTR comment to me how he was surprised how much the back end came out on my car on corner exit sometimes when I got on the power too much. GTR's have an AWD system that really helps.

Yes the AWD was great for the few and far between Snow days in Texas and it does make for a hell of a good launch in a straight line. For a track it is useless in my opinion.

Last edited by rgregory; 08-08-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:04 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I have only driven one on track last year. It was poorly maintained evidently and could hardly idle. The group that brought it maintain several exotic cars for rent. I understand they bought or are considering buying an established exotic car garage business. Too expensive for tune ups and maintenance?
Old 08-08-2016, 01:47 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I have only driven one on track last year. It was poorly maintained evidently and could hardly idle. The group that brought it maintain several exotic cars for rent. I understand they bought or are considering buying an established exotic car garage business. Too expensive for tune ups and maintenance?
Exotic rental car companies tend to not properly maintain cars and flip them often.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:40 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Mine got like this when it needed new spark plugs. I was surprised that a fuel injected car would go through plugs in 15-20k miles but it does. It isn't a big deal the plugs are the same ones used in Honda S2000s so easy to find.

Get notified of new replies

To Lamborghini Gallardo

Quick Reply: Lamborghini Gallardo