Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

1st gen Stealth TT with Evo 16g's

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 05:20 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 1st gen Stealth TT with Evo 16g's

I have always had at least one of these cars for the past 15 years or so and just picked up another one this week. This one is the most modded one I have ever had. I need to do a lot of tuning on it as it's running really lean but it's got enough tuning equipment on the car to at least get it close enough to drive and make a pull through the gears. I'm going to be working on the tune some tomorrow. It's been parked almost 8 years now. Motor in the car was rebuilt right before the car was parked and the aftermarket turbo kit with large FMIC was installed then as well. Previous owner went down the road playing with it and didn't fully latch the carbon fiber hood and it flew up at the top of 3rd gear. For those not familiar with the 3/S platform, this is somewhere around 130 MPH. It didn't hit the car. It just ripped off the hinges so no damage done to the car. The owner never got back in the car and it just sat for all those years begging me to go buy it. I finally did. I bought the car for less than the new turbo kit cost so I think I got a killer deal on it. This platform doesn't have near the following it used to have as it's really expensive to work on and parts are not easy to find for it anymore. If pretty much anything major breaks on the car, it costs more to fix than you can get for it at resale. But I still love the old platform so I'll keep soldiering on. I'll try to get some pics. It's the dark green one and the paint has faded and peeled badly. Not going to paint it until I make sure I can get the motor tuned properly and back making 600+ AWHP like it used to make. I personally witnesed it run a 7.20 @ 98 on a soft launch way back in the day so it'll be a fun daily driver. Oh yeah, the A/C works great int he car. Nice for the south in the Summer. Any other 3/S enthusiasts on this forum? Speak up.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:19 AM
Dirteater19
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm definitely a fan and would love to see some pics. I'll keep posted. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2016, 01:44 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Originally Posted by Dirteater19
I'm definitely a fan and would love to see some pics. I'll keep posted. Good luck!
Thanks. I'll get some pics but it's not much of a looker. It's been sitting out in the weather not moving for 7-8 years now so any horizontal paint suface is trashed. Even some along bad spots along the tops of the doors. Clear coat gone. Paint underneath has even peeled off in places. Once I get the car running like it's supposed to again (going to shoot for 650 AWHP but probably end up with around 600) I'll attack the cosmetics.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:05 AM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I had a 95 RT/TT, pearl yellow, with 16Gs that put down 490WHP. It had 35K miles on it when I sold it 5 years ago. Fun car, but I actually enjoyed the car more when it was closer to stock. Ray Pampena couldn't even get the thing tuned right (AEM standalone) - the drivability wasn't anywhere near stock like.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:35 PM
WayneCar
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I have had 11 of the 1st and 2nd gens since buying a '91 Pearl White
Stealth TT in 1994. Most have been fairly stock 9b cars with the exception of one DR650 car, a 17g car, a 13g car and a brief fling last Fall with a fully built DR750 2nd gen VR4(Wraith's car from the 3si Forum).
I never had a TD05 car like yours or Toms(95rttrbo).
I still have a Pearl White '94TT Stealth. It is mostly stock and still has 9b's. It makes a great daily driver, and is fun to drive.
Besides Tom, I know Abram(HELLBRINGER) is a member here, but I don't think he posts any more.
Good luck getting her tuned and making some power, should be a fun ride.
Wayne
Old 08-18-2016, 12:53 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

I ordered an AEM wideband and it's supposed to arrive on Thursday. The MAFT allows for quite a bit of tuning so I should be able to get it at least close. I don't know what happened to the tune. It was set and running great when parked but, as mentioned, that was forever ago. It's got my old Technomotive ECU that had been modified to fire 550cc injectors vs the stock 360's and it's got 8 degrees of ignition advance programmed in vs the stock ECU. This was on the car also when it was parked but did not go back to the dyno with this ECU. It was tuned on the stock ECU but was breaking up on the dyno as the ECU was pulling timing because the engine was sensing too much airflow through the MAF and pulling timing accordingly. I know I need the AEM EMS like I have on my 91 Eclipse GSX but just don't have the money to throw at it at the moment. Anyone that's been reading the C5 section has probably seen what I've been going through with my Vette for the past several months. At least the issue with that car is hopefully resolved now so I can divert a little money towards this new Stealth. I think having a nice 1st gen Stealth with all the bells and whistles working including A/C making 500+ to the tires on 93 pump gas is a pretty decent setup. And I'm a big fan of the platform so I'm really happy at this point. I'll get a pic soon but, trust me, it's not a looker.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:06 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice pickup! I'll follow this thread, former owner of a 1995 3000GT VR4 which I modded with 13G (?) Turbos fuel, exhaust mods.
Put down 370+awhp and was a very cool car.

Looking back I wish I just left it stock, at the time the aftermarket relied on piggy back tuners spliced into the wiring harness to the ECU....just way too much wiring crap to deal with.

Stock and mint condition they are still worth good money, very rare to find them that way as mods can hack these cars up easily.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:27 PM
smokinstorm
Racer

Got the wideband installed today and the tune is all over the place. Much more so than it should be. It started out OK and then leaned out over time badly. Like in off scale lean. Driving the car around and refilling the tank several times has broken loose all sorts of junk in the gas tank and plugged the fuel filter completely up. Cleaned out the fuel filter and it at least goes down the road again without leaning out but I've ordered another fuel filter for next week. I'm wondering if I need to get a new gas tank as it's a lot worse than I originally thought. I guess when I put the new fuel filter in if it plugs that one up, I'll have to get a new fuel tank. Can't tune the car if the fuel supply is compromised. I checked back on 3si.com on the threads about this car and found that it was actually parked in or around June of 2007 and just been sitting there. Bringing a car back from the dead like this is always a challenge but this car has so much done to it that it's definitely worth it. I've even priced out a new aftermarket fuel system with braided lines and aftermarket rails and I'll get that if I need to. It's just so costly to do that for what I ultimately want to do with this car. The money gets spent on the Vette to go play. This car has got to have compromises on it. It's still nowhere near making a full throttle acceleration run even in one gear. I'll be working on making that happen tomorrow and later next week. I can't wait to feel even a close tune 20 PSI pull in one gear. I know I need the AEM EMS to nail everything down perfectly on the tune. Maybe when tax season hits in 2017.

Last edited by smokinstorm; 08-20-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:54 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

I got together with Rob @ Modular Turbo tonight and went out and did some tuning with 105 octane in the tank. I didn't really need it but I wanted that margin of safety as the tune on this setup has been really hard to pin down. It keeps changing wholesale with no changes to the settings on the MAFT for no apparent reason. Also, the weather tonight totally sucked for messing with a car. We're right in the middle of the worst of the outer rain bands of that tropical system moving up the coast. I'm on the Outer Banks of NC but at least the very worst of the wind and rain was just to the south of us while we were out there messing with the car. Call me crazy but I wanted to use every opportunity that Rob had available to work on the tune. The tune with the new fuel filter was actually going full rich at around 3000 because I had been trying to richen up the fuel mixture with the old fuel filter and it kept going lean as soon as any demand for fuel was experienced. Fuel filter just wasn't allowing any fuel to make it to the motor. After many, many adjustments we finally got it to hold a WOT pull @ 8 PSI. Nothing special but worlds ahead of what the car has been doing. A/F ratio still close to 10:1 as it was in the 10.2-10.3 range during the pull but at least it wasn't so rich as to cut the motor off like it had been doing. So, being really safe rich we turned the boost up to 14. It peaked at 13.9 according to the boost controller and it started feeling really nice. 14 PSI on the stock turbos and 14 PSI from a pair of Evo III 16g's with a really big FMIC are not the same thing. Trust me. The weather conditions made this pull really sketchy. We headed back to the shop happy with the results but Rob wanted to turn it up just a tad more to see what would happen. Set at 20 PSI it peaked at 19.2 but I couldn't hold the car in the road. Yeah, sucks tuning in the rain even with an AWD car. I just tried it from a roll in 2nd gear but it's safe to say that when we finally get the boost up in the 30 PSI range, this car is going to a threat to quite a few cars around here. I had a couple of new model Mustangs "blow the pipes" at me while I was in town filling up with gas tonight. Why they felt the need to do that in the middle of a tropical storm is anybody's guess but they were in a Mustang so that might explain it. I'm going to surprise a few of them with their little mid 12 second 115 MPH cars and they won't know what happened. You can't melt them down and pour them on the Corvette but they see the Stealth and think it's an easy target. Gotta make sure it's not. We're going back out on Sunday and work on the tune some more once this tropical system moves out. No dyno numbers for now. No track numbers but at least it's taking Wide Open Throttle and pulling at least somewhat like it's supposed to. This is a start and I'm quite satisfied with what I saw tonight. More results from future tuning sessions and track outings to follow. Keep in mind that this is a TT Stealth and 10 second passes are few and far between with this platform so don't expect it to run like the Vette. It just can't and I'd be stupid to try.

Last edited by smokinstorm; 09-03-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:49 AM
smokinstorm
Racer

The car just won't hold a tune from one pull to the next for whatever reason. I'm sure it has to do with how long the car has been sitting. When it messes up now, all the electrical system fails at the same time. Talked to David1 and he says he's going to go through every ground in the whole car as that's got to be what's going on with losing the electrical system intermittently. Since the Technomotive ECU is programmed for 550cc injectors, I'm going to eliminate the 85mm GM mass air meter and the MAFT and just install some 550cc injectors to see if it's the MAFT and GM mass air meter that's causing/contributing to these problems. I've got to start eliminating possibilities or I'll never get it right. It's amazing how much stronger these Evo 16g's are compared to the stock 9b's. This car with only 10 pounds of boost, large FMIC and the tune right is noticeably stronger than my 93 @ 15 pounds of boost and the stock intercoolers. I'm getting there. It's just taking a little longer than I thought to iron out the wrinkles that have developed from siting for so long.

Get notified of new replies

To 1st gen Stealth TT with Evo 16g's

Quick Reply: 1st gen Stealth TT with Evo 16g's