Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Jaguar F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 08:55 AM
ksurfer2
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Jaguar F-Type

So I did a little car shopping over the weekend (don't worry, the vette isn't going anywhere!). The Jag F-Type is a beautiful car!!!! However, a couple of things about the car surprised me....especially for the price!!! First, the car is on regular tires, not run flats. Not so bad until you consider that the car does not have a spare, even a donut to get you somewhere safe. When I asked about this the sales persons response was that if you get a flat, you call Jaguar and they send someone out.

The second thing was the warranty, they advertise a 6 year 100,000 mile warranty on the car. Now, this is a NEW car, not a trade in. Because Jaguar considered the car "new" back in November, there is no longer a 6 year warranty from the date of purchase. The warranty period started back in November.

For a car that is pushing $100,000 I would expect the full warranty and not to be stranded on the side of the road if I get a flat! Am I asking too much????
Old 09-06-2016, 10:17 AM
The boss
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Be aware of the reliability, my body have one with 13000Km (8000m) in 2 years, no winter driving, and probably the dealer did 1/4 of this millage trying to fix it and it still dosent work properly. Performance mode keep bumping out and plenty of light comes on in the dash, he just pull over, stop the engine and restart and its ok.....for about 20 minutes, + all the other gizmos that keep bgging now and then. Otherwise this car runs and sound great. Sorry, but I had to say it
Old 09-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

you're not wrong at all, OP...I say lease it for two years (with a high residual & reasonable money factor) if you want to drive it for a while...
Old 09-07-2016, 12:53 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by ksurfer2
So I did a little car shopping over the weekend (don't worry, the vette isn't going anywhere!). The Jag F-Type is a beautiful car!!!! However, a couple of things about the car surprised me....especially for the price!!! First, the car is on regular tires, not run flats. Not so bad until you consider that the car does not have a spare, even a donut to get you somewhere safe. When I asked about this the sales persons response was that if you get a flat, you call Jaguar and they send someone out.

The second thing was the warranty, they advertise a 6 year 100,000 mile warranty on the car. Now, this is a NEW car, not a trade in. Because Jaguar considered the car "new" back in November, there is no longer a 6 year warranty from the date of purchase. The warranty period started back in November.

For a car that is pushing $100,000 I would expect the full warranty and not to be stranded on the side of the road if I get a flat! Am I asking too much????

What is the asking price for this car, versus the sticker price? If there's a significant discount, it's because Jaguar Corporate had some deal going with their dealers, several months ago, where the dealers could list some of their inventory as "sold" and sort of list them "in service", therefore earning factory rebates.

The flip side of this deal, is that the warranty went into service, at the time the car was "sold". HOWEVER, in many cases, the discount available is significant enough that you could buy the car, buy the factory's extended warranty, and still be money ahead.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:21 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Beautiful car but you have to drive one before even thinking of purchasing one. I was hot for the jaguar styling and thought for sure at 57 I'd be the target audience...

I drove one and although the sale woman was stunningly gorgeous and very nice...driving the jaguar was a major disappointment.

Forgetting about the exterior styling ...maybe even the interior styling I could have been driving a Buick...

It's a competent sports sedan wrapped in sexy sheet metal. The jaguar in my opinion is not a sports car...

I have heard Jaguars are babe magnets though so if your interested in that aspect of vehicle ownership...the f type is among the best...

I love the jaguar f type styling...but not driving one....

That was a let down
Old 09-13-2016, 08:39 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

perhaps a case of misinformation but are you sure the Jag doesn't have a small 12v pump and tire goop so that you can seal the tire and drive it to a shop? that is how our 997 is set up from factory...
Interesting thing about the warranty...kind of a bummer.

I drove an F-type R and my opinion is the opposite of Jerri's....thought it was a very nice sports car, I enjoyed it a whole lot. Wouldn't mind having one just to cruise around. Like anything else, drive before you buy. Far as reliability, idk, I take it all with a grain a salt, for every guy that says they know a guy with issues with the new F type I can link you a guy with issue with his new Z06 vette... just sayin
Old 09-15-2016, 08:53 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,434 Likes on 778 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have a 2016 F Type R convertible. I bought it in Feb and now have just over 3K miles on it. There is a 12V compressor in the trunk. I haven't opened the package to see if there is sealant inside as well. This car handles like a cat on carpet. The AWD and torque vectoring keep everything in line. I do not track this car but I do drive it with spirit. The acceleration while not in C7 Z06 territory is still very respectable and seat of the pants feel is spectacular. I will concede it is probably more of a tourer than a hard core sports car. It is great on long trips as well as short spirited trips.

I had the option to buy this or a new Z06. Since I am still happy with the 650bhp in my C6 and there were some styling issues (not the tail lights - LOL) I did not like on the Z06, I chose this car after a lengthy test drive. I don't regret my decision.

Last edited by Tally Ho; 09-15-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:25 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Thanks for your longer term insights..

I didn't care for the more luxurious relaxed drive of the jaguar. I was surprised as I thought I wanted just that....instead between the jaguar f type and the Porsche....I preferred the more sporting Porsche driving experience...and then after getting back into my corvette I preferred the more sporting, raw driving experience.

That said the jaguar is a beautifully styled design.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:21 PM
GTOguy
Race Director

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Being in the automotive industry for the past 37 years, no way I'd ever own a Jag. Love the way they look, though!
Old 09-29-2016, 06:18 PM
JBauer47
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

I leased mine for 36 months until the kinks were worked out on the new Z06 (glad I waited). Mine has been flawless so far. Granted I only have 15k miles on it but I have beat the p*** out of it.

MC

Get notified of new replies

To Jaguar F-Type