Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Tesla P100D vs ....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 06:56 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,440 Likes on 2,799 Posts

The P85D did VIR in 3:17, nearly lost its brakes, and overheated. The Focus RS is $40k, and was 13 seconds a lap faster. It posted the exact same time as a 2012 Jeep SRT8. It was 172 out of 201 total lap times they've done. It was slower than a V6 or Ecoboost Mustang, Genesis Coupe V6, VW GTI, Mazdaspeed3, and a ton of cars would would expect it to be slower than.

For Reference a Panamera Turbo S did it in just under 3:01.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:36 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
The P85D did VIR in 3:17, nearly lost its brakes, and overheated. The Focus RS is $40k, and was 13 seconds a lap faster. It posted the exact same time as a 2012 Jeep SRT8. It was 172 out of 201 total lap times they've done. It was slower than a V6 or Ecoboost Mustang, Genesis Coupe V6, VW GTI, Mazdaspeed3, and a ton of cars would would expect it to be slower than.

For Reference a Panamera Turbo S did it in just under 3:01.
How long ago was that?

The reason why I ask, is because the P85D has now been surpassed by two other models. The P90D and now the P100D.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:09 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
How long ago was that?

The reason why I ask, is because the P85D has now been surpassed by two other models. The P90D and now the P100D.
That was this year's Lightning Lap. Think it said it was a 2016? They may have had the wrong number for it or something.

The funny part is the commenters would talking about how "if they modded the cooling and added liquid cooling for the battery packs it would be faster than yadda yadda". Just funny to me because normally people are like "well if you tuned it or you put slicks on it or whatever it would be the faster". Now tuning is liquid cooling the batteries like it's a computer.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:57 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

That was this year's Lightning Lap. Think it said it was a 2016? They may have had the wrong number for it or something.

The funny part is the commenters would talking about how "if they modded the cooling and added liquid cooling for the battery packs it would be faster than yadda yadda". Just funny to me because normally people are like "well if you tuned it or you put slicks on it or whatever it would be the faster". Now tuning is liquid cooling the batteries like it's a computer.
If it was a 2016, it's unlikely that it have been a P85D, as the P90D came out in around August of 2015 and phased out the P85D shortly thereafter.

It's looking like it was a 2015 P85D without Ludicrous.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...p-2016-feature

Curious as to why they didn't use a P90D with Luducrous for a 2016 car. They basically ran a year old car.

But whatever it was, a street EV on a road course isn't going to last long in comparison to a gasoline powered vehicle.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 09-22-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:26 AM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
If it was a 2016, it's unlikely that it have been a P85D, as the P90D came out in around August of 2015 and phased out the P85D shortly thereafter.

It's looking like it was a 2015 P85D without Ludicrous.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...p-2016-feature

Curious as to why they didn't use a P90D with Luducrous for a 2016 car. They basically ran a year old car.

But whatever it was, a street EV on a road course isn't going to last long in comparison to a gasoline powered vehicle.
The limiting factors were the electronics getting too hot. I doubt the one year newer model with a slightly higher cap. battery would be any different in that regard.

This isn't the first time a Tesla has had heat issues after more than a few runs. When they tested the Model X it also went into thermal protection mode after a few 1/4 mile runs.

No amount of CF body panels, special tires, or chassis tuning is going to fix that issue. The Tesla, in current form, just isn't an all around sports sedan. No shame in that, it just isn't.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:14 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

I had a funny feeling something like this from Tesla would be coming eventually...

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...tric-gt-series
Old 09-28-2016, 06:16 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

I watched a Formula E race once. It only took me one time to realize that it was the most boring attempt at racing I'd ever seen. I'd genuinely rather watch people race hoverounds in a Walmart. Come to think of it, that could be pretty entertaining to watch.

It'll be interesting to see how long that series lasts. I didn't think Formula E was going last past its first season, but apparently I was wrong about that.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:52 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage

When it comes to performance the Tesla is a one trick pony. Off the line they fly, but from a roll they are just another car. No handling, top speed, or just about any other impressive performance numbers.
you sure about this...I just took a nice lengthy ride in 1 (passenger) and the car was very fast...and I own and have driven some very fast cars...
Old 10-01-2016, 01:55 AM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
you sure about this...I just took a nice lengthy ride in 1 (passenger) and the car was very fast...and I own and have driven some very fast cars...
It's in some people's nature to resist change, but like it or not, times are changing.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:27 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Rave
It's in some people's nature to resist change, but like it or not, times are changing.
I agree to a large extent, but also here on the corvette forum, the corvette has to be the fastest...
Old 10-01-2016, 10:22 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I agree to a large extent, but also here on the corvette forum, the corvette has to be the fastest...
Oh absolutely!
Old 10-02-2016, 07:20 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

How do you figure? Tesla doesn't make money, they BLEED money. They require states to let them bypass the normal rules and laws to NOT make money. Their major income stream is based off selling credits to other automakers because of ridiculous EPA rules.

If times are changing that businesses don't have to make money anymore, then maybe you're right.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:00 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

How do you figure? Tesla doesn't make money, they BLEED money. They require states to let them bypass the normal rules and laws to NOT make money. Their major income stream is based off selling credits to other automakers because of ridiculous EPA rules.

If times are changing that businesses don't have to make money anymore, then maybe you're right.
I wasn't speaking specifically about Tesla, but yes, normally it does take money, to make money, and as far as I know Tesla hasn't mentioned anything about declaring bankruptcy. If fact, today the News reported Tesla doubled their sales from last year and I expect we'll see their sales number really take off when the Model 3 is ready to roll out the door. Also I applaud Tesla for bucking the normal rules. It's about time.

More to the point, I was addressing the fact that some people have issues with change, not just Tesla vehicles, but rather just in general. The change away from the Corvette round tail lights is a good example.

Last edited by Rave; 10-02-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:25 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

I wasn't speaking specifically about Tesla, but yes, normally it does take money, to make money, and as far as I know Tesla hasn't mentioned anything about declaring bankruptcy. If fact, today the News reported Tesla doubled their sales from last year and I expect we'll see their sales number really take off when the Model 3 is ready to roll out the door. Also I applaud Tesla for bucking the normal rules. It's about time.

More to the point, I was addressing the fact that some people have issues with change, not just Tesla vehicles, but rather just in general. The change away from the Corvette round tail lights is a good example.
Well, the round taillights looked better

Electric cars will certainly be a (small) part of the automotive landscape going forward, until they're replaced by fuel cell vehicles. I suspect that Tesla will be one of those makes that ends up disappearing quietly in the face of competition from much larger, and profitable competitors. At this point, pretty much all the major luxury makes are building vehicles for this tiny slice of the market.

Reality is, the future is in Hydrogen fuel cells. That allows for the quick refills that Americans require, and the benefits of electric motors. In a few years, people will look back on plug in electrics like we look on devices like my old GameBoy that required me to replace the AA batteries all the time.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:49 PM
Rave
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, the round taillights looked better
I had a funny feeling you'd say that! I liked the round tail lights too, on the legacy Vettes. And I was happy to see them change.

The reason we see EV sales well out pacing fuel cell vehicles is because it [currently] costs too much to produce hydrogen. Should that change in the future, we might see them but I'll bet we'll see battery technology improve well before then.

Quick Reply: Tesla P100D vs ....