Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Bought a 335xi

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 07:37 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Bought a 335xi

I never thought I would own a BMW, but after considering a car that both the wife and I can drive I couldn't think of a better car for the money.

It's smaller for her and safe with AWD and safety package.

Fun for me because of the turbo and possibilities to bolt on a tune for 400+ HP.

Not a bad little car. I'm surprised how many gadgets there are on this thing and so far I love it. It's tight and smaller than the 300C SRT I've been driving for 11 years so it handles like it's on rails in comparison.
Attached Images   
Old 09-22-2016, 08:46 PM
Romulus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the steering still heavy on the new ones?

My wife had one for a couple years, 2011 I think. The only thing I didn't really like about it was the very heavy steering. Otherwise quick for a DD and pretty fun.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:13 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,430 Likes on 2,795 Posts

335xi was on my "maybe" list when I was shopping for my new car (ended up ordering an STI). I didn't want to lease, and I sure as hell didn't want to own a German car outside of warranty. And I liked the S4 more, but it scared me to own out of warranty EVEN MORE.

Nice cars, well built for sure, but wasn't for me. Hope you guys enjoy it! I like that color a lot on it.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:20 PM
vvv90
Race Director

Originally Posted by Romulus
Is the steering still heavy on the new ones?

My wife had one for a couple years, 2011 I think. The only thing I didn't really like about it was the very heavy steering. Otherwise quick for a DD and pretty fun.

Actually yeah, I would describe it as being heavy, but precise. This is the first German car I've owned and it's definitely a different feel on the steering, but so far a lot of feedback at the same time. I like the difference so far.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:27 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I've owned a 2013 S4 since new (purchased April 2013). It's been the most reliable car I have owned, I came from owning 4 Acuras prior to the S4. I cross shopped the 335 and I decided on the S4 due to better performance and slightly more back seat room. The 335 is a fine car and it drives quite nice, enjoy it and congrats on your purchase!
Old 09-23-2016, 10:00 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

My "gf" has a 335is and its a piece of junk. Been to the dealer at least 20 times for repairs. She bought the extended warranty thank god. The steering wheel is VERY hard. I don't understand that at all, it feels like a weak power steering pump and BMW markets that as being more of a drivers car.

Last edited by J3TVETTE; 09-23-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:20 AM
vvv90
Race Director

Originally Posted by slowstang305
My "gf" has a 335is and its a piece of junk. Been to the dealer at least 20 times for repairs. She bought the extended warranty thank god. The steering wheel is VERY hard. I don't understand that at all, it feels like a weak power steering pump and BMW markets that as being more of a drivers car.

I'm sorry to hear about your "gf" woes with her car. I've been following the 335i, and have known people with 335i's since '07. My friend with the '07 had nothing but problems too and it was in the dealership for about 6 months of his 3 year lease. There's no way in hell I would've bought one. Your "gf" must be "special" for her to own the 335is which was made from 2011-2013. They had the old twin turbo N54 engine which is known for so many problems. When they came out with the single turbo N55 engine I started following the reliability of them over the years. BMW seems to have fixed a lot, if not all of the issues plagued by the N54. Therefore, I felt it safer to buy one.

I too have the extended warranty as there's no way in hell I would own a German car without one. If the car proves to be a problem I will sell it in a few years. No biggie.

As for the steering feel comments I can tell by your attitude you're already biased so on that alone, your opinion holds no water for me, or anyone else reading your comments for that matter. It's more telling of your level of maturity and experience rather than the performance of the car. You look like you've had a Mustang and now a Vette if I can guess by your handle and I find it humorous that you would make such a statement. I too have experience owning Vettes and Mustangs.

Your "gf"s steering wheel is also different than mine so I cannot comment on how hard it is in comparison. However, I have common sense so I can safely assume the harder material is to provide more feedback to the driver. Do you complain about how rough your Corvette rides too, even though it was designed to be that way on purpose? Perhaps I can suggest some lotion for your dainty little hands so the steering wheel isn't such a problem for you. Maybe your "gf" has some tips for you?

I wish you and your "gf" well.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:22 AM
vvv90
Race Director

Originally Posted by MVR 155
I've owned a 2013 S4 since new (purchased April 2013). It's been the most reliable car I have owned, I came from owning 4 Acuras prior to the S4. I cross shopped the 335 and I decided on the S4 due to better performance and slightly more back seat room. The 335 is a fine car and it drives quite nice, enjoy it and congrats on your purchase!
I researched both as well quite frankly it just came down to availability for me because either the S4 or the 335i would make me happy. Tuned vs. Stock the 335i and the S4 have options and keep them pretty similar IMHO and this is my DD anyway. If I want speed I have another car for that.

I have no doubt that in a few years though an Audi will be my next car.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:46 AM
Jeff113
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The steering was a lot heavier on the E90/92 3 series (previous gen). The newer F30/32 models use electric steering and it does not have the same feel.

I don't mind the steering on my C6, but there is no way it can compare to the older BMWs with hydraulic steering.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:07 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by vvv90
I'm sorry to hear about your "gf" woes with her car. I've been following the 335i, and have known people with 335i's since '07. My friend with the '07 had nothing but problems too and it was in the dealership for about 6 months of his 3 year lease. There's no way in hell I would've bought one. Your "gf" must be "special" for her to own the 335is which was made from 2011-2013. They had the old twin turbo N54 engine which is known for so many problems. When they came out with the single turbo N55 engine I started following the reliability of them over the years. BMW seems to have fixed a lot, if not all of the issues plagued by the N54. Therefore, I felt it safer to buy one.

I too have the extended warranty as there's no way in hell I would own a German car without one. If the car proves to be a problem I will sell it in a few years. No biggie.

As for the steering feel comments I can tell by your attitude you're already biased so on that alone, your opinion holds no water for me, or anyone else reading your comments for that matter. It's more telling of your level of maturity and experience rather than the performance of the car. You look like you've had a Mustang and now a Vette if I can guess by your handle and I find it humorous that you would make such a statement. I too have experience owning Vettes and Mustangs.

Your "gf"s steering wheel is also different than mine so I cannot comment on how hard it is in comparison. However, I have common sense so I can safely assume the harder material is to provide more feedback to the driver. Do you complain about how rough your Corvette rides too, even though it was designed to be that way on purpose? Perhaps I can suggest some lotion for your dainty little hands so the steering wheel isn't such a problem for you. Maybe your "gf" has some tips for you?

I wish you and your "gf" well.
Great post

Yes, I have owned a bunch of mustangs. A couple of GT's, a Saleen S281, a few Corvettes, etc. The current Vette is a Z51 and I love how it rides, like a sports car should. I do not like the soft suspension of the Non Z51 model personally (had one too). Yes, my GF's BMW must be some sort of a lemon. It has been to the shop tons of times. Big items included having the AC repaired (dash had to be removed from the car), headlight had to be replaced, it's going in to have the power steering looked at next, TMPS sensors never register correctly, bluetooth issues, transmission shudder etc. It definitely needs a tune but my recommendation was not modifying the car to avoid the warranty from being denied. Sad as its a low mile car.

I hope your's is much more reliable, luckily it is under warranty. I like the gun metal color

Get notified of new replies

To Bought a 335xi

Quick Reply: Bought a 335xi