Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Looking for a 2nd fun drivers car...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 12:13 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I got an RS, it's a lot of fun, plus it's a freaking Focus so I don't worry about, well, anything on it.

They're hard to get though unless you're ok with paying some ADM:

Old 10-04-2016, 07:31 AM
Internetguru
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 130 Likes on 100 Posts

If I got an Ariel Atom I would need to sell my modified C5. I am not ready to sell the C5, maybe in a few more years but I think that car may be in the family for life. I feel it would hurt me less to sell the C7.

I am in agreement that lots of stuff on my list seem the same and am starting to think I need something that feels totally different. A while back I was convinced I was going to buy a Chevy SS with a manual, and after driving one found I hated it.

To be clear whatever I buy I will leave bone stock so the car has to hit the right buttons without having to mod it. Once you modify a car I feel it makes it more difficult to sell and I am not very mechanically inclined. For me leaving cars stock is the way to keep usability, flexibility & reliability. I already own a modified C5 that stalls when you run the AC and don’t really want to start a collection of modified cars that eat up a lot of cash and handcuff my ability to swap in and out of different cars.

I am not opposed to a used out of warranty low cost fun to drive ride as that would allow me to do other things. If I can find something inexpensive enough my thought is 2nd car and upgrade the C7 vert to a Z06 vert/coupe. Currently the C7 vert feels like enough car for me so I am not convinced I need a Z06. I don’t want to be one of those guys who is terrified to drive his Z06 hard. That would be the allure of a Focus RS (Z06/Focus RS might be a better pair than a C7/GT350). I have started eliminating vehicles that are not as good a fit.

Combos:
======
C7 vert / 911 GT3 (Have to look for a used one without CCB’s to afford)
C7 vert / Cayman GTS (Actively looking for a used one that fits my wants)
Z06 coupe / Boxster GTS
??? / New Corvette Z06 (New one waiting to see about thermal issues)
??? / New vaporware Corvette ZR1 (New one will have to wait a while and budget more $$$)
Z06 vert / Focus RS (Seems overpriced but if it hits the right buttons who cares)
Z06 coupe / New Vaporware Honda S2000 (New one they keep hinting they might build)
C7 vert / Shelby GT350

OUT FOR NOW:
==========
Cadillac CTSV (Bad handling Corvette that holds more people)
Nissan GTR (Not for me missing a feeling I am looking for)
Porsche Cayman GT4 (Impossible to find without sizable markup)
Shelby GT350R (Not paying the markup)
WRX STI (Houston Subaru dealers are terrible sold BRZ because of that)

About to purchase a truck to replace our old minivan in which case I will regain daily use of my modified C5 with the aggressive cam and straight piped exhaust that is what I drive at the track as my C7 vert won’t pass tech here at MSR Houston. The C5 has a visceral raw feeling to it that may help satisfy my need to drive something else.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:23 AM
Mtol117
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a Jaguar XJ supersport/ used XJ
comfortable luxury combined with sportiness
​​​​​

​​
Old 10-08-2016, 02:23 AM
Yogivette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also looking for a new sports car. I basically agree with your list. If i had a vette i would be looking for something turbo charged for a different driving experience.

So i recommend
M2/M4
718 cayman/boxster S
991.2 911
TT-RS or RS3

Or if you want something exotic under 100k...audi R8 or viper (but similar to vette)
Old 10-08-2016, 04:25 PM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '16

You're missing the boat boys. This thing will put some lead in your pencil. This is the only Viper Racing Yellow GTS with an SRT vented hood from the factory. <4000 miles never tracked (I know hard to believe about one of my cars ) she is looking for a new home. PM me for a test drive but don't waste your time and mine with low ball crap and "I just wanted to go for a ride in one" If you want a thrill factor of 9.5+ try it.

I do have to say that the Atom will give you a stiffy as well.

Last edited by Capt Van; 10-08-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:00 AM
Z06Z
Instructor

Received 156 Likes on 65 Posts

I just bought a Shelby GT350, traded my M3 in for it.. it's a pure driving experience IMO, much like BMW used to offer. Sure the interior isn't as nice, but this car drives and gives you the feedback a drivers car should. I'm smitten.

All I have to say is, don't take my word for it, go drive one if you can find a dealer willing to do so. I've always kind of looked down on Mustangs up until I drove this.. it's a special car.

Last edited by Z06Z; 10-10-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:07 PM
Internetguru
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Test drove the 2016 Miata Club with BBS wheels & Brakes this weekend. Some of the track guys on this forum recommended I try it even thou it was not on my list. Was too similar to the 2013 BRZ limited I jettisoned in January. Vehicle seemed fine but did not hit any of my buttons.

The wife hated it. And I don't need another car the wife won't drive in as my modified C5 Coupe already fills that need.

Will now go and test drive by myself and once I find something see if it is wife approved as test driving with her was distracting.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:11 PM
Internetguru
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Capt Van
You're missing the boat boys. This thing will put some lead in your pencil. This is the only Viper Racing Yellow GTS with an SRT vented hood from the factory. <4000 miles never tracked (I know hard to believe about one of my cars ) she is looking for a new home. PM me for a test drive but don't waste your time and mine with low ball crap and "I just wanted to go for a ride in one" If you want a thrill factor of 9.5+ try it.

I do have to say that the Atom will give you a stiffy as well.
The color is awesome! I am certain I would love this car. I doubt I can get my wife on board as the ride is going to be too stiff and loud for her.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:49 PM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12, '16

Originally Posted by Internetguru
The color is awesome! I am certain I would love this car. I doubt I can get my wife on board as the ride is going to be too stiff and loud for her.
Ummmm yeah you're right......but hey isn't that part of having a Viper?? Just saying.

Mrs Karen won't drive it Men have just GOT to have their own toys...she has hers.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:30 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Z
I just bought a Shelby GT350, traded my M3 in for it.. it's a pure driving experience IMO, much like BMW used to offer. it's a special car.
Yeah, this pretty much sums it up. Great car that took over the spot held by the M3 for decades.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:21 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Van
You're missing the boat boys. This thing will put some lead in your pencil.
Yes but will it make my fizzy bit fizzle and put a soda stream down my pants?
Old 10-15-2016, 08:17 AM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12, '16

Originally Posted by thegame
Yes but will it make my fizzy bit fizzle and put a soda stream down my pants?
Not sure about that but it can put some brown spots in your shorts.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:16 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Birkin will eat any of those.
Wow...you sure have expensive tastes when it comes to handbags.
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2017, 07:22 AM
Internetguru
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure that anyone cares. Opted to get a C7 Z06/Z07 convertible for now and it is a completely different driving experience than a C7 Z51. I do not believe I want to daily drive this beast as it requires more focus, discipline and concentration than I may have from day to day.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:49 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Haven't seen it mentioned, but how about a 90's model NSX? There are usually a couple for sale in the Houston area at any given time. They are also around half your budget or lower so that would leave room for fixes and upgrades as you see fit.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:45 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

And be done with it.
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2017, 10:54 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Internetguru
Not sure that anyone cares. Opted to get a C7 Z06/Z07 convertible for now and it is a completely different driving experience than a C7 Z51. I do not believe I want to daily drive this beast as it requires more focus, discipline and concentration than I may have from day to day.
I care. I ended up with a GT350

Quick Reply: Looking for a 2nd fun drivers car...