Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Tesla p100d vs 2016 cadillac cts v from a roll

Old 10-05-2016, 12:22 AM
theboom
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tesla p100d vs 2016 cadillac cts v from a roll

The tesla p100d and the 2016 cadillac cts v are both currently some of the best sport sedans you can get right now, although until they add a second gear in the tesla and make all the other aspects of performance good other that getting off the line, I will be leaning pretty far towards the V. Even then, I still want that sound and want my car to last a long time on a tank and not take forever to fill up.

I know that the p100d would destroy the cts v from a stop so that's not a discussion, just like any other aspect of performance that is not getting off the line like braking, cornering, skidpad, lap times, etc, is also not a discussion in favor of the V, but how would a roll race go? This was argued with a friend. The p100d has a power output of about 730hp and reports say the weight went up and is now right around 5,000lbs. This translates to a power to weight ratio of 6.849lbs/1hp. Now to be an even power to the ground we would have to use the V's wheel horsepower right because the telsa's power is to the ground to because they have very little drivetrain losses right? A stock dyno run that I have seen of the V put it at 548 to the wheel, and the car weighs about 4150lbs. So that translates to 7.572lbs/1hp. 6.484lbs/1hp if you want to use crank horsepower. Gearing I think would play a big roll because the tesla maintains its 9.73:1 the entire time while the V gets worse every time it shifts. This is the V's ratios in each gear and in parenthesis are the overall ratio when you include the rear end ratio:

Gear ratios (overall):

I

4.56 (13)

II

2.97 (8.46)

III

2.08 (5.93)

IV

1.69 (4.82)

V

1.27 (3.62)

VI

1 (2.85)

VII

0.85 (2.42)

VIII

0.65 (1.85)

R

Speed range

(max speed on gears,

top gear value theor.):

(km/h/mph)

I:

63 / 39

II:

97 / 60

III:

138 / 86

IV:

170 / 106

V:

227 / 141

VI:

288 / 179

VII:

339 / 211

VIII:

443 / 275

So if we were doing say a 40mph roll the v would be in second gear with a overall ratio of 8.46:1 and that would last to 60mph. You would then shift to third and have an overall ratio of 5.93:1 and that would last to 86. Then fourth with a ratio of 4.82:1 up to 106mph and then fifth with a ratio of 3.62:1 up to 141mph. The tesla tops out at 155mph so we cant go higher.

Based on the gearing alone the tesla has the advantage the entire way seeing that it keeps its 9.73:1 the entire time. There are two things that help the V. The V has over an inch shorter tires that give it back some of the gearing disadvantage. The big plus for the V in this is that the tesla can't shift so the power falls off fast the faster you go.

This is were I ask questions. I don't know how fast it falls off. Can someone give me an answer? Is there anything else I am missing here? I might be missing something or the power in the tesla may drop off faster than i think because when you look at the power to weight ratios and gearing the tesla should be a lot higher in the quarter mile trap speed, a somewhat decent indicator of how rolling races would go. But they both trap around the same at ~124 or so.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:20 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Interesting read. I don't have any answers but on a road course the CTS v kills the tesla..

For quick rolls ...on the street I'm sure the tesla is quicker based off its at full torque all the time...

At past legal speeds the CTS v would kill the tesla..

I am biased...I own a corvette and a CTS AWD....for the family...and I have a tesla model three coming in next year and I plan after test driving the 90d ..ordering an AWD ludicriuous and autonomous model three...

I'm not trading anything in but the tesla meets my needs exactly as a family car and it looks like a four door Aston Martin as shown
Old 10-14-2016, 05:45 PM
theboom
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Interesting read. I don't have any answers but on a road course the CTS v kills the tesla..

For quick rolls ...on the street I'm sure the tesla is quicker based off its at full torque all the time...

At past legal speeds the CTS v would kill the tesla..

I am biased...I own a corvette and a CTS AWD....for the family...and I have a tesla model three coming in next year and I plan after test driving the 90d ..ordering an AWD ludicriuous and autonomous model three...

I'm not trading anything in but the tesla meets my needs exactly as a family car and it looks like a four door Aston Martin as shown
if the cts if for the family then you want the tesla as a.... second family car? And autonomous as in auto pilot? I don't clarify to be a d bag but it is more of a super cruise control and is far from being able to drive itself. Some people have made made the mistake and suffered dearly and I just want to warn you.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:13 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I feel pretty confident that having the safety systems of the Tesla would be beneficial to my wife's driving. That capability to stop a vehicle prior to rear ending another car alone makes it worthwhile.

I realize that all future automobiles sold in America will have that feature.

Still the Aston Martin good looks, AWD, auto outs and ludicrosous mode for I hope 60 grand should be exciting.

Get notified of new replies

To Tesla p100d vs 2016 cadillac cts v from a roll

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tesla p100d vs 2016 cadillac cts v from a roll