Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Handling on the street

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Vistance
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Handling on the street

[Deleted]

Last edited by Vistance; 12-14-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:27 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Vistance
Does anyone else think handling on a street car is really that important?
Yes.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:00 PM
solid dobe
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Originally Posted by White Out
Yes.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:11 PM
Vistance
Racer

[Deleted]

Last edited by Vistance; 12-14-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:57 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

"Average motorists" aren't driving Corvettes. Truck and SUV drivers don't engage in...spirited motoring. All of my vehicles are designed for spirited motoring. No SUVs here. I enjoy cornering!
Old 10-06-2016, 03:19 PM
Vistance
Racer

[Deleted]

Old 10-06-2016, 05:22 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Where I live, the fast lane is full of more SUVs and trucks going 90+ than cars so they're doing more spirited driving than most it seems
Going fast in a straight line is not spirited driving unless you're on a track.

Last edited by TerryL; 10-06-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:37 PM
FourFather
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22

YES!

Eddie FourFather Hill
Old 10-06-2016, 11:02 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Knowing how the car/truck you are driving will react in a given situation is more important. There are corners that I can take in some cars at 60, but my truck can only handle them at 40. All out handling/braking/acceleration really only comes into play in an emergency.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:21 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

To me handling is as important as acceleration on the street. It just lends to the overall feeling of enjoyment driving a nice handling car. I just got back from a nice drive on a pretty deserted road in my Viper that was full of tight turns. It was a blast
Old 10-08-2016, 01:34 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by FourFather

YES!

Eddie FourFather Hill
I have never said this to another man...but you are my f'ing hero.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:36 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

How much do you all think handling really matters on the street? And by that I mean, performance handling like the kind you'd typically use on a race track. Had an argument with someone the other day and they basically made it sound like cars that don't have excellent handling are horrible and anyone would rather have a better handling car. I'm just not seeing it myself. I owned a Buick and a Cadillac in the past (Both from the '90s), neither would be known for their handling and I never had a problem in the years I drove them. I'm sure if I tried to be boy racer taking corners as fast as I can, then it might be more of an issue but I don't get this mindset that cars all have to have this perfect handling for driving on public roads. I get and do partake in the enthusiast's angle on driving, but cars are still basic transportation at the end of the day.

Obviously it's not a real concern for a Vette since they handle great regardless of generation pretty much. I don't even understand where a person even notices their vehicle's handling in day to day driving. I sure don't feel it in my Vette. Maybe if I take a corner at a light without slowing down as much? They talked about how power is something they can't use as much, but handling is every day. I feel like I use power more than I use handling, notably merging on to expressway traffic or something. Contrarily, I can't recall the last time I thought "If only my car had better handling".

Does anyone else think handling on a street car is really that important? I'd be inclined to think if you took a poll of the average motorist it's going to be very low on the list of concerns, considering how many trucks and SUVs I see and neither are known for their handling.
I can see your point if you live in the city. There it does not matter at all. Any place with curves that you can have fun on, disagree.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:52 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

It's a complicated question.

No doubt about it, the handling performance of say a Corvette vs a sport compact or something like that makes no difference on the street. Yeah I know the Corvette pulls over 1g on a skidpad and has much higher limits, but reality is, you NEVER get near those limits on the street. Hell, most aren't even getting near those limits ON A TRACK. In the mountains, my buddy and I were tearing it up, him in his C6 and me in my C4, and he said his max G was in the .6 to .7 range that he saw. Neither car were breaking a sweat with it.

What will make a difference on the street is feedback, and steering ratio. Corvettes since the C5 have had terrible steering with virtually no feedback. Some of the steering ratios have been quick, and that make a car feel sportier and better handling.

The bottom line is, performance cars these days have traded actual driving indulgence and pleasure for quantitative numbers that magazines can spout and buyers can brag with, but never approach. The "sports cars" we think of today are really just expensive jewelry that when put on a race track in a pro driver's hands are capable of things that the buyers can't even fathom.

Will handling of a 2500 dually vs a Corvette make a difference? Yes. Corvette vs something like a Mustang or WRX or Focus ST? Not at all.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:31 PM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '16

Originally Posted by FourFather

YES!

Eddie FourFather Hill
Man I have got to learn not to click on threads you post in.

Be still my heart those are some bad boy machines. If I off my viper I just might have to jump a jet and come ride one of those Atoms.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:52 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Turn in and steering feel will go a LONG way to having a more enjoyable car to drive vs just all out numbers.

For instance a Miata or a 350z is MUCH more fun to drive around at 'slow' speeds even just turning down side roads. They feel light and nimble and sharp. The c5 has a very heavy steering feel and isn't exactly razor sharp; or any kind of sharp...yet it handles well and has tons of grip at speed.

It is just another dynamic and an important one. It allows you to have more fun than just the straights. A balanced car is so rewarding to toss around too. Big, lumbering, nose heavy cars can just be unpleasant to drive spiritedly.

If you really can't notice, perhaps cars just aren't for you. Not that you have to drive wrecklessly to have fun, but too many people putz around these cars like it doesn't matter. Just a fancy Cadillac status item.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:24 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

It really all depends on the driver....... The majority of the driving public has zero clue about spirited driving and what good handling actually is. For those who appreciate a good handling car then I would say it's absolutely paramount to drive something that scratches your itch. I drive a 2013 Audi S4 for daily duty, its a car that does everything quite well, it handles great, is very refined/quiet inside and is pretty quick. I appreciate a car like this for daily duty. Is my Z06 faster and more fun to drive, absolutely but its also loud and crude in comparison. Not a car I can really use for work being on the phone and hauling clients around. I also have a 2015 Yukon Denali as my other daily driver, its used for hauling the family around, hauling stuff for my properties and towing. It's got the magnetic ride and 22" wheels so for a big slug it actually handles well but its still pretty soulless in terms of driving dynamics. Bottom line all that matters is that you feel good about what you are behind the wheel of!!!! Some of us need/want a car that can be driven at 10/10ths and others simply could care less, whatever your choice doesn't necessarily equate to a wrong answer.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:11 PM
Vistance
Racer

[Deleted]

Get notified of new replies

To Handling on the street

Old 10-09-2016, 10:40 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Well by that logic nothing needs to handle better than a loaded 18 wheeler as they can navigate the freeway without tipping over. I mean every single vehicle on the road is designed to operate within the speedlimits without just flying into the trees or the wheels folding under.

Why buy a sports car at all? We can only drive within the speed limits and it's illegal to accelerate quickly.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:26 AM
Vistance
Racer

[Deleted]

Old 10-10-2016, 10:52 AM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Well if one ever decides to drive aggressively in any manner; the answer is still 'yes'.

Despite the fact both cars can navigate an off ramp; one is going to feel better than the other doing it. I don't mind things that inspire confidence.

Quick Reply: Handling on the street