Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Chevelle clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 03:27 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Default Chevelle clutch question

My buddy has a '68 Chevelle, with a 350 small block. It's a weekend driver, in the summer. Recently, the clutch "stopped working", as he described it. He pushes the clutch in, but it doesn't seem to disengage.

Yes, we know the simple answer is to pull it apart, and look for the problem. Situation is, he's currently working 50-55 hours a week, spare time is scarce, and as I said, it's not a DD.

So, assuming the worst, he's thinking of simply getting a clutch kit (pressure plate, t/o bearing, and clutch disc), so he has everything new on hand, and he can just go under the car, pull it apart (hopefully once), and have it working within 3-4 hours.

However, it's been a LONG time since the car has had it's clutch replaced, and he's looking for advice to what deal to buy, as well as what deal won't break the bank. Anybody here have any suggestions, such as brand name to get, Borg&Beck, or diaphragm pressure plate, etc....

Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-10-2016, 04:48 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Google Carolina Clutch and Performance. Best deals I have ever found on quality clutches. I put a LUK clutch in my 65 Vette. Basically a factory clutch for my car. Couldn't believe how low their prices are for quality clutches.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:28 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

It is possible clutch rod needs adjusted. The old cars used a mechanical linkage that's doesn't self adjust. It fairly easy to check just need to play at clutch fork. Some bell housings allow for disc inspection so someone maybe able to see how worn disc is.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:58 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
It is possible clutch rod needs adjusted. The old cars used a mechanical linkage that's doesn't self adjust. It fairly easy to check just need to play at clutch fork. Some bell housings allow for disc inspection so someone maybe able to see how worn disc is.

There is a "Z" bar and linkage that can be adjusted underneath the car. Look on the drivers side of the bellhousing where the clutch fork comes out and follow it back, it might just need to be adjusted.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:45 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kevova

Originally Posted by Patsgarage

There is a "Z" bar and linkage that can be adjusted underneath the car. Look on the drivers side of the bellhousing where the clutch fork comes out and follow it back, it might just need to be adjusted.
Thanks for the suggestions, but we're well aware of that stuff, and we've verified the linkage is in place, and "sort of" functioning. It's just that pressing on the clutch pedal isn't disengaging the clutch disc from the flywheel, for some reason.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:56 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Before you start buying parts check the clutch fork. I have seen those fail over time from metal fatigue. A small crack causes a bent clutch fork and the clutch no longer works.

If it is a stock 350 I would probably replace it with one of the stock replacement kits from rockauto.com.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:16 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by divotdug
Before you start buying parts check the clutch fork. I have seen those fail over time from metal fatigue. A small crack causes a bent clutch fork and the clutch no longer works.

If it is a stock 350 I would probably replace it with one of the stock replacement kits from rockauto.com.
That's a good suggestion.....as I previously mentioned, my buddy is currently BURIED in OT at work, and had only a brief amount of time to take a look underneath the car, so he hasn't taken it apart yet. His feeling is that if he has to pull the transmission out, to get into the bellhousing, he might as well put in a new clutch kit, since he's already over half way there, as long as he doesn't have to spend $400-500, like some of the prices he saw, when taking a very quick look at some of the HP parts suppliers.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:40 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
That's a good suggestion.....as I previously mentioned, my buddy is currently BURIED in OT at work, and had only a brief amount of time to take a look underneath the car, so he hasn't taken it apart yet. His feeling is that if he has to pull the transmission out, to get into the bellhousing, he might as well put in a new clutch kit, since he's already over half way there, as long as he doesn't have to spend $400-500, like some of the prices he saw, when taking a very quick look at some of the HP parts suppliers.
Did you see my post above? Their prices are great.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:47 AM
68ACADIAN
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I would be willing to bet it's the throw-out bearing!! That's just my experience with having so many gear cars.......While you're in there might as well change the clutch and have a look at the pressure plate. Or it could be maybe one or some of the "fingers" have broken on the pressure plate as I would assume it's a Borg & Beck style. Just throwing out possibilities.......
Old 10-11-2016, 06:49 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by capevettes
Did you see my post above? Their prices are great.
I did......there are two pages of clutches for Chevelle applications, and I was initially shocked, as the prices started at well over $300, and went up from there. However, on the last page, there was one kit for a little under $300.

Jegs and Summit Racing however, have Zoom kits starting at little over $100.

Originally Posted by 68ACADIAN
I would be willing to bet it's the throw-out bearing!! That's just my experience with having so many gear cars.......While you're in there might as well change the clutch and have a look at the pressure plate. Or it could be maybe one or some of the "fingers" have broken on the pressure plate as I would assume it's a Borg & Beck style. Just throwing out possibilities.......

Yeah, those are all possibilities. He/we just haven't had the time to pull it apart yet. Working 6 days a week, doesn't leave a lot of spare time!!

Get notified of new replies

To Chevelle clutch question

Quick Reply: Chevelle clutch question