Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Saw a GT350 in the Wild for the First Time...Whoa

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 04:19 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I think you're focused on the wrong stuff in a performance car. I couldn't give a crap about cluster electronics and stuff like that, I care about how it drives. If I cared about stuff like that, I'd just buy a fancy SUV and drive that all the time. I don't need that in my sports car.

Ill take a well balanced car any day over a few tenths or if it comes with a built in coffee stirrer or not.

Less is more sometimes

Ford has done an incredible job with the Mustang, the flat crank helps somewhat with longevity
Old 11-04-2016, 06:09 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
How often do you adjust your seat backs? I literally set it once. The only time I adjust my seat position at all is the track or if someone else drives it (which wouldn't happen if I had a GT350 - Mustangs like to crash enough as it is, let alone with someone else driving it).

The standard seats are pretty decent, but it's a bummer you can't get all the toys in the Recaros. I mean I get it - the Recaros are a performance seat option in a performance car, and those options would add weight.

The HUD would be nice, but there's plenty of those that work off OBD2 now. It's stupid to have to do it, but once you get spoiled by the HUD, I get it. Personally, I've weened myself off the HUD, and just go by sound again. And keep in mind, a HUD is just a bandaid for a poorly designed cluster and dashboard.

I think you're focused on the wrong stuff in a performance car. I couldn't give a crap about cluster electronics and stuff like that, I care about how it drives. If I cared about stuff like that, I'd just buy a fancy SUV and drive that all the time. I don't need that in my sports car.
I'm a luxury sports car buyer. A GT buyer if you will. Raw performance is meaningless to me. If you can't drive the car daily and enjoy it or use it as you would any other car then I feel you're focused on the wrong stuff.

Never liked pony cars much either. Too much power not enough "stuff"
Old 11-05-2016, 12:17 AM
E in Phila
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Yep, you gotta' look out for us old guys. We're dangerous, especially when we're driving fast cars(like my Z06).

Just a couple of weeks ago an old fart(74YO, same as me) at Walmart was pushing his high powered grocery cart across the yield area(marked off and signed in front of the entry/exit doors) when a jacked up pickup truck ran him down and broke a bunch of bones in his legs. Another or six feet, and the old guy would have been all the way across the driveway. He didn't run his cart out in front of the truck.

The pickup was driven by a young guy that never did anything wrong in his young life(except run over old people in grocery store parking lots).

Oh, and the last accident I was involved in was in was back in 1970. How about you?

The next time you are out displaying your young driving skills in your C7 Z51, make sure you move over so this 81year old grandmother can pass you at 166.3 MPH in her C5.

https://youtu.be/kIvZFNIop1Y

And please notice that she didn't total it in the parking lot at the end of her run.

PS- The following year, at 82 years old she hit 171 MPH. Notice that she gets faster as she gets older.

https://youtu.be/ifI1Nof3ZVs
Whoa, sounds like someone could use a warm glass of milk.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:21 AM
E in Phila
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
I'm a luxury sports car buyer. A GT buyer if you will. Raw performance is meaningless to me. If you can't drive the car aadaily and enjoy it or use it as you would any other car then I feel you're focused on the wrong stuff.

I prefer a luxury performance mix too. But this is a track car for the street, so GT criticisms are sort of off base.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:38 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,440 Likes on 2,799 Posts

I'm a luxury sports car buyer. A GT buyer if you will. Raw performance is meaningless to me. If you can't drive the car daily and enjoy it or use it as you would any other car then I feel you're focused on the wrong stuff.

I daily drive a STI, and enjoy it. And most of the auto magazines would have you believe that my spine should be shattered from riding in it once.

I get the idea of a GT car. Porsche has perfected the formula though. And frankly, for me, if I wanted something GT, it'd be larger and more spacious than a car. I'd be looking at a sporty SUV of some sort most likely. Or a Lexus GS-F.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:10 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The GT350 is not supercharged...

You might be thinking of the RS3 Mustang... Which I own.
A Coyote engine with a very large supercharger... good for 727 horsepower with warranty.

at $48k its the best deal on the planet imho.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:37 AM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I like the standard seats over the Recaro's.

Of course I'm still hoping Mustang makes a bench seat as an option for $1.00

USAF
Old 11-22-2016, 09:25 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

I saw this one at PCB C&C a few weeks ago. Really nice 'stang. But you're right, it's a shame that it'll be crashed into a curb or crowd any moment now.

Just hate how the coolant reservoir is all like:

Old 11-22-2016, 07:38 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by FAUEE
The GT350R is NOT supercharged. It's a 5.2L NA, like a real track car should be.
this is 100% accurate and I saw a Deep Impact Blue GT350Rin person this past Saturday at my local exotic car dealership and its bad azz.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:07 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Local dealership has a 2017, but they have a $10k dealer markup on it.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:17 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Yeah, a guy at my work was trying to order one a while back. They wanted a $25K mark up. haha! He ended up ordering an M2. It's amazing.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:19 PM
Flyboygsxr
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't get heated and cooled seats with the Recaos, no HUD, and most importantly, no power seat backs. Memory is only on the seat bottoms. The cluster electronics are sub-par.

I drive them at work (FYI, I work for Ford), and I'm not a fan of them. Outside of Sync 3 which is better than MyLink any day.
Actually, the GT350 does have a HUD. It has apple car play too wish is awesome. Same screen you have on the iPhone too, so no more pressure screen that lags. The interface is so good and lightning fast. The LCD display in the center cluster gives you a ridiculous amount of information too. From all of your oil temps, to G's, down to individual tire pressures and lap times. It even has a performance section that records your 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, and so much more. There is too much crap available at the touch of a finger that I'm not going to go into listing them all.

Another thing that is funny to note, some people will say the GT350 is not a sports car...lol, that's funny. It was faster around Laguna Seca than the new NSX and many other cars that punch way higher above it's price point. Anyway, there are a lot of amazing cars out there from lots of manufacturers. My biggest complaint about the GT350 is it's weight. The 350R weighs 3600lbs and the standard GT350 is about 3750lbs. I wish they were a little bit lighter. Here's a video that covers some of the amenities available in the 350. It's not the fastest car out there but it's amazing to drive and very comfortable as a GT car.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:39 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Flyboygsxr
Actually, the GT350 does have a HUD. It has apple car play too wish is awesome. Same screen you have on the iPhone too, so no more pressure screen that lags. The interface is so good and lightning fast. The LCD display in the center cluster gives you a ridiculous amount of information too. From all of your oil temps, to G's, down to individual tire pressures and lap times. It even has a performance section that records your 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, and so much more. There is too much crap available at the touch of a finger that I'm not going to go into listing them all.

Another thing that is funny to note, some people will say the GT350 is not a sports car...lol, that's funny. It was faster around Laguna Seca than the new NSX and many other cars that punch way higher above it's price point. Anyway, there are a lot of amazing cars out there from lots of manufacturers. My biggest complaint about the GT350 is it's weight. The 350R weighs 3600lbs and the standard GT350 is about 3750lbs. I wish they were a little bit lighter. Here's a video that covers some of the amenities available in the 350. It's not the fastest car out there but it's amazing to drive and very comfortable as a GT car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uzJ6qnJvj0
I stopped reading your post seriously after you said it has a HUD.

What Ford calls a HUD, currently, consists of 8 "lights" above the cluster and when you need to do something they "flash" For example in the Mustang they tell you when to shift. In most Fords they are only used for Collision Avoidance (and they flash like hell when that thing goes off).

It's not a HUD like in a C7.

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 12-23-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:46 PM
Flyboygsxr
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped reading your post seriously after you said it has a HUD.

What Ford calls a HUD, currently, consists of 8 "lights" above the cluster and when you need to do something they "flash" For example in the Mustang they tell you when to shift. In most Fords they are only used for Collision Avoidance (and they flash like hell when that thing goes off).

It's not a HUD like in a C7.
Actually, that's not true at all in a GT350. The HUD, which stands for "heads up display", designed first for aviation. Ask me how I know, oh, it's because I'm a pilot by profession. The HUD in the GT350 is configurable to allow you to select a specific RPM to shift at. Yes, it is only lights but nevertheless it is still a display that allows you to keep your head up on the racetrack and not have to look down. I can't really think of anything else I would want to see on the HUD aside from RPM. It's actually a great tool when I'm on the track because I never have to take my eyes off the track.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:13 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Flyboygsxr
Actually, that's not true at all in a GT350. The HUD, which stands for "heads up display", designed first for aviation. Ask me how I know, oh, it's because I'm a pilot by profession. The HUD in the GT350 is configurable to allow you to select a specific RPM to shift at. Yes, it is only lights but nevertheless it is still a display that allows you to keep your head up on the racetrack and not have to look down. I can't really think of anything else I would want to see on the HUD aside from RPM. It's actually a great tool when I'm on the track because I never have to take my eyes off the track.
Again you missed my point. Aviation is irrelevant, no one on here thinks what you think is a HUD, all car HUDs not done by Ford are display based projections on the windshield. Anything not that isn't a HUD.

TL;DR, you're wrong. Accept it.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:52 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Hahaha how's that luxury Focus?
Old 12-25-2016, 10:16 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Ran across a red gt350 with center stripe....not a fan of the stripe but the car sounded rad...looked good..

Too bad the ZL1 kicks its butt in performance..

Get notified of new replies

To Saw a GT350 in the Wild for the First Time...Whoa

Old 12-25-2016, 11:04 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sublime1996525
Hahaha how's that luxury Focus?
For a winter beater it's quite luxurious!

It has heated seats, leather, Sync 2 with Bluetooth & USB. And even a sunroof!

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 12-25-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:44 PM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
will quickly be moved to 'other cars' section....lol
For the best.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:39 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

There's one parked a few spots away from me at work. Always there when I arrive and always there when I leave. Just waiting for both of us to arrive/leave at the same time so I can hear that flat plane V8 rev in the parking garage.

Quick Reply: Saw a GT350 in the Wild for the First Time...Whoa