Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Saw a GT350 in the Wild for the First Time...Whoa

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 12:11 PM
DuvalVette
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Saw a GT350 in the Wild for the First Time...Whoa

I was walking into Publix (local supermarket) when a red GT350 drove by. This was the first one I've seen in person and I was impressed. It looked great and sounded like the trumpets of very manly angels. Old guy driving it of course.

I got a little flustered by how sweet is was but I quickly settled down and remembered it's a mustang and probably be totaled before it left the parking lot.

Still like my C7 Z51 better, but we have some competition here boys.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:25 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

No photo. Never happened.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:27 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

will quickly be moved to 'other cars' section....lol
Old 10-22-2016, 01:41 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

The GT350 is fantastic. Probably the best $50-75k car around right now. Might not be the fastest at the stop light, but truly a great car that's going down as one of the real special cars of its day.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:27 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,597 Posts

If you were impressed by the GT350, then you'll definitely be smitten the new GT500, which is scheduled to be released next year as a MY19.

A SC'ed Flat Plane Crank engine is going to sound wicked. I'm looking forward to it
Old 10-22-2016, 05:31 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by sTz
If you were impressed by the GT350, then you'll definitely be smitten the new GT500, which is scheduled to be released next year as a MY19.

A SC'ed Flat Plane Crank engine is going to sound wicked. I'm looking forward to it
I don't think a SC'd Flat plane Crank makes any sense. The whole point of a flat plane crank is to allow for higher revs, and the whole point of a supercharger is to make boost at low rpm. Combining the two things makes no sense as far as the car goes.

I figure the GT50 will either be a supercharged Coyote, or a turbocharged Voodoo.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:40 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

The gt350R is a 5.8L flat plane crank,supercharged car. Motor trend has just recently rated it as the 2nd best drivers car for 2016 (McClaren beat it out)
Old 10-22-2016, 11:38 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

The GT350R is NOT supercharged. It's a 5.2L NA, like a real track car should be.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:12 PM
92mr2turbo
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE

I figure the GT50 will either be a supercharged Coyote, or a turbocharged Voodoo.
I thought there was more speculation of a 5.0 TT as a 2018.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:11 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

The GT350R is NOT supercharged. It's a 5.2L NA, like a real track car should be.
^^this.

and it's McLaren
Old 10-23-2016, 06:14 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 05dsom
^^this.

and it's McLaren
My mistake....I saw a video of a gt350R with a roots style blower and they stated it was stock....guess not! Very impressive car though...
Old 10-24-2016, 12:11 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

GT350's have a nice exhaust sound.

The Gen 6 Mustang is the best one yet, but I still don't like the seating position of it or lack of features and creature comforts.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:08 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
GT350's have a nice exhaust sound.

The Gen 6 Mustang is the best one yet, but I still don't like the seating position of it or lack of features and creature comforts.
What the heck are you talking about? They're better featured than a lot of Cadillacs and most BMWs or MBs sold. You can get blind spot monitoring, radar cruise control, heated and cooled seats, dual zone automatic climate control, a GREAT stereo, push button start and keyless access, voice activated everything, HID & LED lightning... What the heck more could you want?

I've had several for rentals, and I think the seating position is quite good. You sit low, but you can still see. There's plenty of legroom and headroom without me having to gangster lean, and everything is just about right where I would want it.

Honestly, they're great. People like to talk about how Ford doesn't build anything above the Mustang to fight the Corvette... but reality is, they don't need to. The Mustang is a better overall package, and it's like loaded out with a V8 & track pack for $40k, like 20k cheaper than a basic bare bones Corvette.

I've said it once, I'll say it again. Mustang and Camaro getting this good is really, really bad for Corvette. They may be better packages than the Corvette is now overall. Performance is still a tick below the Vette, but when you factor in all the other aspects of the car, they're both probably better.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:29 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

What the heck are you talking about? They're better featured than a lot of Cadillacs and most BMWs or MBs sold. You can get blind spot monitoring, radar cruise control, heated and cooled seats, dual zone automatic climate control, a GREAT stereo, push button start and keyless access, voice activated everything, HID & LED lightning... What the heck more could you want?

I've had several for rentals, and I think the seating position is quite good. You sit low, but you can still see. There's plenty of legroom and headroom without me having to gangster lean, and everything is just about right where I would want it.

Honestly, they're great. People like to talk about how Ford doesn't build anything above the Mustang to fight the Corvette... but reality is, they don't need to. The Mustang is a better overall package, and it's like loaded out with a V8 & track pack for $40k, like 20k cheaper than a basic bare bones Corvette.

I've said it once, I'll say it again. Mustang and Camaro getting this good is really, really bad for Corvette. They may be better packages than the Corvette is now overall. Performance is still a tick below the Vette, but when you factor in all the other aspects of the car, they're both probably better.
You can't get heated and cooled seats with the Recaos, no HUD, and most importantly, no power seat backs. Memory is only on the seat bottoms. The cluster electronics are sub-par.

I drive them at work (FYI, I work for Ford), and I'm not a fan of them. Outside of Sync 3 which is better than MyLink any day.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:39 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

You can't get heated and cooled seats with the Recaos, no HUD, and most importantly, no power seat backs. Memory is only on the seat bottoms. The cluster electronics are sub-par.

I drive them at work (FYI, I work for Ford), and I'm not a fan of them. Outside of Sync 3 which is better than MyLink any day.
I'm a Ford retiree, and like you, never thought highly enough of Mustang to own one. I drove my C5 to Dearborn for many years, and all my engineering buddies loved the car.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:43 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

like loaded out with a V8 & track pack for $40k, like 20k cheaper than a basic bare bones Corvette.

The basic mustang is that price....but the gt350R Is in the $50's

Last edited by C U IN REARVEIW; 10-25-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:24 AM
PHPD7102
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

The GT350 is fantastic. Probably the best $50-75k car around right now. Might not be the fastest at the stop light, but truly a great car that's going down as one of the real special cars of its day.
It certainly is not, I'm not sure how much faster the 350R is supposed to be over the 350, but I have raced a couple 350's in my 16 Hellcat Charger and it wasn't much of a race.

Get notified of new replies

To Saw a GT350 in the Wild for the First Time...Whoa

Old 10-26-2016, 08:12 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by DuvalVette
I was walking into Publix (local supermarket) when a red GT350 drove by. This was the first one I've seen in person and I was impressed. It looked great and sounded like the trumpets of very manly angels. Old guy driving it of course.

I got a little flustered by how sweet is was but I quickly settled down and remembered it's a mustang and probably be totaled before it left the parking lot.

Still like my C7 Z51 better, but we have some competition here boys.

Yep, you gotta' look out for us old guys. We're dangerous, especially when we're driving fast cars(like my Z06).

Just a couple of weeks ago an old fart(74YO, same as me) at Walmart was pushing his high powered grocery cart across the yield area(marked off and signed in front of the entry/exit doors) when a jacked up pickup truck ran him down and broke a bunch of bones in his legs. Another or six feet, and the old guy would have been all the way across the driveway. He didn't run his cart out in front of the truck.

The pickup was driven by a young guy that never did anything wrong in his young life(except run over old people in grocery store parking lots).

Oh, and the last accident I was involved in was in was back in 1970. How about you?

The next time you are out displaying your young driving skills in your C7 Z51, make sure you move over so this 81year old grandmother can pass you at 166.3 MPH in her C5.

And please notice that she didn't total it in the parking lot at the end of her run.

PS- The following year, at 82 years old she hit 171 MPH. Notice that she gets faster as she gets older.

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-27-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:12 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
like loaded out with a V8 & track pack for $40k, like 20k cheaper than a basic bare bones Corvette.

The basic mustang is that price....but the gt350R Is in the $50's

350 maybe, try to buy the R at that price. good luck
Old 10-30-2016, 11:38 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

How often do you adjust your seat backs? I literally set it once. The only time I adjust my seat position at all is the track or if someone else drives it (which wouldn't happen if I had a GT350 - Mustangs like to crash enough as it is, let alone with someone else driving it).

The standard seats are pretty decent, but it's a bummer you can't get all the toys in the Recaros. I mean I get it - the Recaros are a performance seat option in a performance car, and those options would add weight.

The HUD would be nice, but there's plenty of those that work off OBD2 now. It's stupid to have to do it, but once you get spoiled by the HUD, I get it. Personally, I've weened myself off the HUD, and just go by sound again. And keep in mind, a HUD is just a bandaid for a poorly designed cluster and dashboard.

I think you're focused on the wrong stuff in a performance car. I couldn't give a crap about cluster electronics and stuff like that, I care about how it drives. If I cared about stuff like that, I'd just buy a fancy SUV and drive that all the time. I don't need that in my sports car.

Quick Reply: Saw a GT350 in the Wild for the First Time...Whoa