Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2017 LT4 ZL1 runs 7:29.60 at the Nurburgring

Old 10-24-2016, 02:04 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by vtknight
Obviously Nurburgring times are still important to GM to make the trip for thier ponycar.
Good point.

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
I bet you can count on your fingers and toes how many have attempted a true hot lap at the ring.
True.

I'm not Michael Schumacher and neither are 99.9% of the drivers out there.
Unless they stayed at a Holiday Inn last night...

NO professional race cars series in the WORLD goes to the Ring to race.
Not quite:
http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/home.html

The Gen V ACR doesn't have a ring time, yet people keep calling it the fastest production track car in the world...but where's the ring time?
Yeah, well, there's that.

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I will be surprised if they don't take the ZR (or whatever that testing mule is with the cheek coolers) over there for a time. And while they're there (LOL) maybe the GS and Z too?
It would be very nice to see all 3 get Ring times, but I doubt it would improve sales.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:30 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 959 Likes on 571 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Was anyone else noticing how FAST that transmission was shifting?
Damn!
Old 10-24-2016, 03:39 PM
revo1059
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by meadowz06
Was anyone else noticing how FAST that transmission was shifting?
Damn!
Maybe.....GM has finally hit the holy grail on an auto shifting. Isn't the Z06 supposed to get this trans soon?

Last edited by revo1059; 10-24-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:35 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Received 461 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
It's a great lap for sure with fantastic car control.

What's interesting is that the A10 never really dropped the revs below 5500 rpm; in fact the engine spent almost the entire lap between 5500 and 6500 rpm. I love my Z06 and can drive it in 'M' mode and make it thru' an HPDE session that way, but my car driven in 'D' like this car was would overheat for sure. A perfect example of GM's stupid decision to place all three radiators in a 'sandwich' configuration at the front of the car. Luckily they got smarter on the new ZL1 and hopefully the 2018 ZR1 also; (or whatever it will be called).

Bish
Well said. Hopefully with what happened with the C7 Z06 - GM will get the "ZR1" or whatever it is called right. They have the technology and chassis to get it done.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:56 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
As sort of a disinterested bystander (I didn't partake in the big 50 page threads) I've still got to assume the Z cannot finish that track. It must overheat and that's why we never got a time. Or the time was compromised so badly by it that they never released it.

Watching the video of the Camaro, on this particular track, and especially the last 1/3 of it, you spend so much time at full throttle above 5500rpm that I know my car -couldn't- do it, and I survive most road courses. But I wouldn't make it through this one without overheating.
You have the right answer. It could be nothing else.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:03 PM
Is2scooby
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Wow. I was breathless after watching that. Man, I knew I was a novice hack at the wheel compared to most Z06 owners but add "scared like a little kitten" to that as well. This guy was fearless!
Old 10-24-2016, 05:09 PM
NewZ06Man
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Seemed like he was fighting the car a bit the whole way, even on teh straights he was making a lot of steering corrections. As a comparison watch a novice driver in a GT3 running a 7:33 in traffic:

Old 10-24-2016, 05:29 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

I've told you conspiracy theorists time. And time. And time again. Team Corvette's run at the N'Ring with the Z06 was a kick-*** success in their eyes, but the mother company took the release of that info away from them! It's not their info to release any longer.

They're all quite happy with the time. And quite frustrated they can't release it. But there you have it.

Now FFS: stop asking about it.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:36 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Originally Posted by jvp
I've told you conspiracy theorists time. And time. And time again. Team Corvette's run at the N'Ring with the Z06 was a kick-*** success in their eyes, but the mother company took the release of that info away from them! It's not their info to release any longer.

They're all quite happy with the time. And quite frustrated they can't release it. But there you have it.

Lol. What a crock. So let me get this straight...GM is okay with sending the ZL1 to the track to get a time and release it - but NOT the C7 Z06? Because the time they ran was just too good? It's been "taken away from them"?

That is far more the conspiracy theory than the obvious - which many owners on this page - including myself have stated; the car could not make it for an entire lap due to over heating issues. That GM admitted to. And created a number of fixes for.

So save your FFS for yourself. I'm supposed to take your word for it? I'm not one of your lemming Corvette fanboys. Come with a real response if you want us to stop.

Last edited by vtknight; 10-24-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:38 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 959 Likes on 571 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by jvp

Total bullshi#!
Old 10-24-2016, 05:41 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Total bullshi#!
Much more to the point than my response. Well done.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:43 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Total bullshi#!
But....but....but....he has "connections"!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Old 10-24-2016, 05:43 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Lol. What a crock. So let me get this straight...GM is okay with sending the ZL1 to the track to get a time and release it - but NOT the C7 Z06? Because the time they ran was just too good? It's been "taken away from them"?
Do you remember what was going on at the N'Ring right around the time that the Z06 ran it? Think about that, if you're capable of doing so rationally. Think it through, all of the potential implications, etc.

Think. Don't react. Think so hard you might hurt yourself doing so.

So save your FFS for yourself. I'm not one of your lemming Corvette fanboys. Come with a real response if you want us to stop.
No, you're just a lemming Internet know-it-all. That doesn't actually know anything in this case, so you're filling in the blanks with incorrect information.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:50 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Originally Posted by jvp
Do you remember what was going on at the N'Ring right around the time that the Z06 ran it? Think about that, if you're capable of doing so rationally. Think it through, all of the potential implications, etc.

Think. Don't react. Think so hard you might hurt yourself doing so.

No, you're just a lemming Internet know-it-all. That doesn't actually know anything in this case, so you're filling in the blanks with incorrect information.
I provided very clear logic actually - save your hysterical ploy for someone else. The fact that the track was having speed and noise limits - at that time - means what exactly? They can't go back? With the ZL1 for example. And run another time.

Like I said - save your nonsensical responses for your lemming fans. No internet needed. I own this car and have tested it at the track - and like for many (more than the nonsense 5%) - it overheats. GM went out of their way to spend untold amounts of money to change the supercharger lid and create a taller CF hood to fit it - for this "imaginary" problem. Oh and build an A10 trans. Because that is what GM does. Spend money, resources and time when it doesn't need to.

GM didn't even do that with the valve train issues of the C6 Z06.

So please stop with your know-it-all FFS like you have some sort of insider knowledge.

The C7 Z06 overheats. This is why there is no Nurburgring time.

Last edited by vtknight; 10-24-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:54 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

So please stop with your know-it-all FFS like you have some sort of insider knowledge.
Well, I actually do have lots of contacts within the Corvette engineering team that I keep in touch with regularly. But ...

The C7 Z06 overheats. This is why there is no Nurburgring time.
...you keep believing whatever you like.

Just know that you're wrong. Very wrong. On both counts.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:01 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

GM went out of their way to spend untold amounts of money to change the supercharger lid and create a taller CF hood to fit it - for this "imaginary" problem.
Actually the hood is the exact same as the 15s and 16s. The only things that changed are the lid, the bricks (they are angled in the rear to provide better cooling to cylinders 7 and 8), and the hood liner (changed to accommodate the larger blower lid).
Old 10-24-2016, 06:02 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Originally Posted by jvp
Well, I actually do have lots of contacts within the Corvette engineering team that I keep in touch with regularly. But ...

...you keep believing whatever you like.

Just know that you're wrong. Very wrong. On both counts.
Maybe you do. But it still doesn't make your responses any more logical or factual.

And here is the logical reason why your responses don't make sense;

GM just went to the Nurburgring with the ZL1. Why would they not go back with the C7 Z06? GM went several times with both the C6 Z06 and ZR1. It wasn't a one time affair.

So - there is your - they DO have a time - but it's been "taken away" from them for no reason whatsoever. TO the point they cannot even state what they did. PLUS they cannot go back and run another time for some unknown reason.

OR...

The C7 Z06 has an overheating problem that GM has themselves copped to - spent money, time and resources and people to fixing.

And this is why there is no NBR time.

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 LT4 ZL1 runs 7:29.60 at the Nurburgring

Old 10-24-2016, 06:03 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Originally Posted by four0nefive
Actually the hood is the exact same as the 15s and 16s. The only things that changed are the lid, the bricks (they are angled in the rear to provide better cooling to cylinders 7 and 8), and the hood liner (changed to accommodate the larger blower lid).
This is so. Changing the liner is within the hood.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:05 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

PLUS they cannot go back and run another time for some unknown reason.
You're so far out of touch with reality it's nearly comical.

Let's review: Why do the GM engineering teams take cars, mechanics, and drivers to the N'Ring?

Answer that question before we can go further.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:11 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Originally Posted by jvp
You're so far out of touch with reality it's nearly comical.

Let's review: Why do the GM engineering teams take cars, mechanics, and drivers to the N'Ring?

Answer that question before we can go further.
First and foremost to promote their car. They have their own proving grounds at Milford for R&D - which is where they primarily test.

Addendum to the above - to back up all the Nurburgring marketing material they sent out and promoted.

Next question?

Last edited by vtknight; 10-24-2016 at 06:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 LT4 ZL1 runs 7:29.60 at the Nurburgring