Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2017 LT4 ZL1 runs 7:29.60 at the Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 10:42 AM
vtknight
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 272 Posts

Default 2017 LT4 ZL1 runs 7:29.60 at the Nurburgring

As much as I am happy to see GM run a fantastic time with the new ZL1 Camaro at the Nurburgring, I find it difficult to argue that this only proves that GM has chosen not to perform a lap with the C7 Z06.

That is really disappointing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrFn...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-24-2016, 11:04 AM
revo1059
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I was thinking the same thing (posted in the other cars subforum). That ZL1 tore up the track. Did they have overheating issues in the Z06 that prevented a full run?
Old 10-24-2016, 11:07 AM
BaylorCorvette
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm convinced it is because there is some sort of issue with the C7 Z06's (likely cooling). There is no reason not to post C7 Z06 'Ring times unless it under performed. GM loves to post 'Ring times, we have C6 ZR1 and C6 Z06 'Ring times with official video and we have spy shots that the C7 Z06 was out there and Tadge even said at one point they'd announce the times. Now that the Camaro with the LT4 posts a VERY impressive time it makes things very interesting.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:09 AM
vtknight
Drifting

Originally Posted by revo1059
I was thinking the same thing (posted in the other cars subforum). That ZL1 tore up the track. Did they have overheating issues in the Z06 that prevented a full run?
It is really challenging to not come to that conclusion. Obviously Nurburgring times are still important to GM to make the trip for thier ponycar.

They went multiple times with the C6 Z06 and ZR1.

As an owner - I know that the C7 Z06 IS world class. The one lap records at smaller tracks show that. It's such a shame that had GM done more R&D and testing - and then acted on data they must have uncovered - this car would have been a game changer.

To any Mods - I believe this thread is relevant as the ZL1 uses the C7 Z06 LT4.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:22 AM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

As always, who really knows...BUT, if they are genuinely coming out with a ZR1 in January...it would make sense to go back with BOTH cars, the ZR1 and the Z06 and set lap times...We'll see...For me personally, I don't really care...the car is clearly fast on track. Period. It was the marketing of the ring that messed them up...
Old 10-24-2016, 11:46 AM
vtknight
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
As always, who really knows...BUT, if they are genuinely coming out with a ZR1 in January...it would make sense to go back with BOTH cars, the ZR1 and the Z06 and set lap times...We'll see...For me personally, I don't really care...the car is clearly fast on track. Period. It was the marketing of the ring that messed them up...
We agree that the "marketing of the ring" messed them up. They made some very specific promises.

Where we agree less is that you don't care and I do. Here's why; first is to simply restore confidence in the C7 Z06. Perhaps especially with the C7 ZR1 coming out and the GS already out - GM runs the risk of "losing" is in the mix. For those of us who purchased the C7 Z06 - I hope they can at least show - with new improvements and all - that the car can live up to its marketing.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:52 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

As sort of a disinterested bystander (I didn't partake in the big 50 page threads) I've still got to assume the Z cannot finish that track. It must overheat and that's why we never got a time. Or the time was compromised so badly by it that they never released it.

Watching the video of the Camaro, on this particular track, and especially the last 1/3 of it, you spend so much time at full throttle above 5500rpm that I know my car -couldn't- do it, and I survive most road courses. But I wouldn't make it through this one without overheating.

Last edited by davepl; 10-24-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:08 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vtknight
We agree that the "marketing of the ring" messed them up. They made some very specific promises.

Where we agree less is that you don't care and I do. Here's why; first is to simply restore confidence in the C7 Z06. Perhaps especially with the C7 ZR1 coming out and the GS already out - GM runs the risk of "losing" is in the mix. For those of us who purchased the C7 Z06 - I hope they can at least show - with new improvements and all - that the car can live up to its marketing.
Like I said, the marketing of it is what has really hurt them. BUT, in the real world it doesn't matter. Will you ever likely go to the Ring with your Z06 and do a 'true hot lap'? My guess is no. Of all the Z06's ever sold, I bet you can count on your fingers and toes how many have attempted a true hot lap at the ring.

This isn't meant to bash...it's merely meant to say, "hey, the car has been tested and driven hard at ALOT of tracks in the USA, that you are far more likely to drive on, and has proven to be FAST, and also proven to have some overheating problems." That's it. What else is there?

Seriously, you know many of those ring laps are BS right? The factory's can't be trusted...the Nismo GTR proved that. The Lambo SVT going sub 7min. Really? No different that the ACR going 1:128.xx at MRLS and since then Randy hasn't been able to get within 1-2 seconds of that lap....

That's why it doesn't mean anything to me...I'm not Michael Schumacher and neither are 99.9% of the drivers out there, nor do we have a 'factory ringer' at our disposal. To me, I'd personally be more concerned about the overheating than the lap time.

The ring is a 'nice' marketing tool that has been blown out of proportion. NO professional race cars series in the WORLD goes to the Ring to race. So does that make ALL race cars currently built invalid and unworthy? Including F1.

The Z06 is a fast track car, period. It's simply an undeniable fact. Do you think it'll suddenly be SLOW at the Ring? Doubt it. Maybe it did overheat, maybe it didn't...who knows. But when it's not overheating it's been SUPER fast at EVERY track it's been to. So will a fast ring time change that? NO. I guess for me personally I don't get why people invest so much emotional energy into this. If it beats the ZR1 time will people buy more of them, probably not, and if so, not by much...If it doesn't beat the ZR1 time, will people NOT buy it, doubt that's likely either.

It's all so silly...If the car wasn't fast at any track then I'd be concerned, but it is fast at MRLS, VIR and GM's track. I'd be happy if it had a good ring time, but it wouldn't change a damn thing about my daily joy of driving it. Go out and enjoy the car...If you don't enjoy the car, then trade it in for something else. The Gen V ACR doesn't have a ring time, yet people keep calling it the fastest production track car in the world...but where's the ring time? See what I mean...it's silly. I didn't mean for this comment to be terse, and I get the marketing aspect, but otherwise, it's not 'that' important.

Last edited by ZoratZ06; 10-24-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:10 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

If nothing else this video is a testament to the A8. Put it in D and concentrate and braking, accelerating and steering input and let the A8 do the shifting for you.

But yes, it is pretty clear that the C7Z06 can't complete a lap without going in Limp Home mode or we would have seen it happen. I still love mine. I was waiting on a ZL1 in November but the $20k off got me in a C7Z A8 Vert.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:17 PM
descartesfool
Burning Brakes

Received 296 Likes on 155 Posts

That is one super impressive lap. Very smooth steering, with nary a correction, and no shifting either. Handling balance must be really well dialed in on that Camaro ZL1. I love the way the tranny holds the revs up, and the car sounds great too.

Congrats to the GM boys on that one!
Old 10-24-2016, 12:19 PM
revo1059
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by pkincy
If nothing else this video is a testament to the A8. Put it in D and concentrate and braking, accelerating and steering input and let the A8 do the shifting for you.

But yes, it is pretty clear that the C7Z06 can't complete a lap without going in Limp Home mode or we would have seen it happen. I still love mine. I was waiting on a ZL1 in November but the $20k off got me in a C7Z A8 Vert.
Actually......that's a testament to the A10. The 17 ZL1 comes with the new A10.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:25 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

I will be surprised if they don't take the ZR (or whatever that testing mule is with the cheek coolers) over there for a time. And while they're there (LOL) maybe the GS and Z too?
Old 10-24-2016, 12:29 PM
revo1059
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Will 99.9% of the owners ever drive their car on the ring? No, but I would find it a little disappointing that GM wouldn't/couldn't release a time for their halo car (when they've released the info for every other car they've ran). Would that sway me from buying one? No.

If the heating issues are the reason they couldn't complete the lap, then it's surprising that they designed the car to run so close to it's thermal limits when being pushed.

...and.... if heating is the issue, what did GM do to resolve it in the ZL1?
Old 10-24-2016, 12:32 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Its a great time. Infact its much more than that considering its a 3,900ish lbs $60k car on Goodyear tires. Kinda makes you wonder how much faster it would be on Michelin Sport Cup 2 tires?

Who knows... I remember seeing a Camaro spyshot with a wing on the back. Perhaps we will find out "soon™"
Old 10-24-2016, 12:33 PM
homepukes
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

A true professional driver. At the end when he backs the car he never once looks at the back up camera, mirrors only.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:33 PM
UBNZO6D
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 71 Posts

Good for Chevy...11.67 faster then the old ZL1 and 180 on the straights is hauling the mail.

Greg
Old 10-24-2016, 01:00 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Originally Posted by revo1059
Will 99.9% of the owners ever drive their car on the ring? No, but I would find it a little disappointing that GM wouldn't/couldn't release a time for their halo car (when they've released the info for every other car they've ran). Would that sway me from buying one? No.

If the heating issues are the reason they couldn't complete the lap, then it's surprising that they designed the car to run so close to it's thermal limits when being pushed.

...and.... if heating is the issue, what did GM do to resolve it in the ZL1?
^^^This.

Zorat - stating how many times will you take your car to the Nurburgring is not the point. This would be true of 99.99% of the cars that are tested there in regards to their owners.

The point is that this type of testing is telling and used throughout the performance industry. GM certainly wasn't shy about using it and setting records with their C6 Z06 and ZR1. They promoted those times everywhere a company could. And you are correct the NBR lap times are not governed. At all.

It doesn't stop them from running an instrumented lap they JUST did with the ZL1. Heck - they even have new "improvements" from what is on anyone's C7 Z06 - I will even take that.

As as to the ACR not having a time - I wouldn't run it either - until whatever GM's bench mark is - and then I would beat that. As they have for every other track they have attempted (14 well known track records?).

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 LT4 ZL1 runs 7:29.60 at the Nurburgring

Old 10-24-2016, 01:09 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

That was a real nice lap and loved the way the trans was shifting. No fuss, no muss.
S.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:44 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Massively impressive lap by the Camaro....to think it's within sniffing distance of a Carrera GT is pretty remarkable, esp when it wasn't on Cup 2's.

Side note...after all of the horrible marketing with the ring and the Z06...Id find it hard to believe if they don't go back with the new ZR1, and bring the Z06 along too...I guess we'll see...
Old 10-24-2016, 01:59 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

It's a great lap for sure with fantastic car control.

What's interesting is that the A10 never really dropped the revs below 5500 rpm; in fact the engine spent almost the entire lap between 5500 and 6500 rpm. I love my Z06 and can drive it in 'M' mode and make it thru' an HPDE session that way, but my car driven in 'D' like this car was would overheat for sure. A perfect example of GM's stupid decision to place all three radiators in a 'sandwich' configuration at the front of the car. Luckily they got smarter on the new ZL1 and hopefully the 2018 ZR1 also; (or whatever it will be called).

Bish

Quick Reply: 2017 LT4 ZL1 runs 7:29.60 at the Nurburgring