Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Saw Chevy Bolt EV at LA Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 03:53 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Default Saw Chevy Bolt EV at LA Auto Show

OK, I thought I would hate the Bolt EV, but when I saw it in person, I actually liked it. It's good looking for the hatchback style of car it is, and is modern looking. It has lots of interior room. The 10" touchscreen was nice and intuitive, too. Dashboard gauges are all digital. Seats seemed comfortable. Back seat could definitely handle full sized adults no problem. EPA battery range is 238 miles, which pretty much covers most people's driving except long road trips. Price is $30K with Federal tax credit.

Anyone else see it yet?

Michael
Old 11-20-2016, 10:30 PM
E in Phila
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
OK, I thought I would hate the Bolt EV, but when I saw it in person, I actually liked it. It's good looking for the hatchback style of car it is, and is modern looking. It has lots of interior room. The 10" touchscreen was nice and intuitive, too. Dashboard gauges are all digital. Seats seemed comfortable. Back seat could definitely handle full sized adults no problem. EPA battery range is 238 miles, which pretty much covers most people's driving except long road trips. Price is $30K with Federal tax credit.

Anyone else see it yet?

Michael
Maybe it looks better in person but it looks horrendous in pictures. They better sell a bunch of them soon because once the Tesla Model 3 is available I think they'll have a hard time giving them away.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:18 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by E in Phila
Maybe it looks better in person but it looks horrendous in pictures. They better sell a bunch of them soon* because once the Tesla Model 3 is available I think they'll have a hard time giving them away.

*2018 most likely and it won't have any more gov't incentives so will probably cost closer to $45k
Old 11-22-2016, 01:21 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lionsfan5454
*2018 most likely and it won't have any more gov't incentives so will probably cost closer to $45k
This must be a special reverse incentive considering the base price is $37,495. lol

Michael
Old 11-22-2016, 03:23 PM
E in Phila
Team Owner

This must be a special reverse incentive considering the base price is $37,495. lol

Michael
He's referring to the Tesla Model 3, which is the car that dooms the Chevy Bolt to failure.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:41 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

He's referring to the Tesla Model 3, which is the car that dooms the Chevy Bolt to failure.
I don't think it dooms it to failure. That's like saying a Camaro dooms an Equinox to failure. Two different cars.

Michael
Old 11-25-2016, 11:42 AM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

If it ever comes out
Old 11-25-2016, 11:59 AM
E in Phila
Team Owner

I don't think it dooms it to failure. That's like saying a Camaro dooms an Equinox to failure. Two different cars.

Michael
Both electric, both comparably priced. The main ways they are not comparable is the Model 3 is not ugly, and it has self-driving capability.

The only notable advantage the Bolt has is it hits the market first. It is also possible that Tesla will end up charging more than they are currently claiming, which would obviously favor the Bolt.

But at the moment, $700 million in deposits suggests there is tremendous demand for the Model 3, and I think it is likely that consumers who want an electric are going to be willing to wait on the much more appealing 3 rather than dropping money on the goofy looking Bolt.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:01 PM
E in Phila
Team Owner

If it ever comes out
True. The timing is a big question. But I think buyers will wait.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:52 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Both electric, both comparably priced. The main ways they are not comparable is the Model 3 is not ugly, and it has self-driving capability.

The only notable advantage the Bolt has is it hits the market first. It is also possible that Tesla will end up charging more than they are currently claiming, which would obviously favor the Bolt.

But at the moment, $700 million in deposits suggests there is tremendous demand for the Model 3, and I think it is likely that consumers who want an electric are going to be willing to wait on the much more appealing 3 rather than dropping money on the goofy looking Bolt.
I think you're vastly overestimating the mainstream customer's tolerance for things like :

1. No dealer within 100s of miles
2. 1999 Kia levels of fit and finish

The current Tesla customers are early adopters are ok overlooking those annoyances. If Tesla wants to play with the big boys in terms of volume they'll need to get those 2 things figured out ASAP.

They'll also need to break their tradition of promising one thing (remember the $50,000 Model S?) and delivering something else (go try to find that car). A self driving, good looking, ludicrous mode equipped, $60,000*+ Model 3 is of no concern to GM and their Bolt market

*my price estimate is in line with how every other Tesla product has hit the market. I hope they prove me wrong.

Last edited by lionsfan5454; 11-25-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:19 PM
E in Phila
Team Owner

I think you're vastly overestimating the mainstream customer's tolerance for things like :

1. No dealer within 100s of miles
2. 1999 Kia levels of fit and finish
Tesla's complete dominance of the luxury sedan market (despite lacking comparable levels of luxury) argues otherwise. At a similar price point they are selling twice as many S models as Mercedes sells S classes and BMW sells 7's.

I think you are overestimating the mainstream customer's tolerance for lame design when something more interesting is coming down the pike.

Agree on price though... I'm sure the 3 will be more pricey than the Bolt. But it's going to have to be a lot more expensive for the Bolt to have a chance. The econobox design gives the Bolt a big disadvantage.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:31 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Tesla's complete dominance of the luxury sedan market (despite lacking comparable levels of luxury) argues otherwise. At a similar price point they are selling twice as many S models as Mercedes sells S classes and BMW sells 7's.

I think you are overestimating the mainstream customer's tolerance for lame design when something more interesting is coming down the pike.

Agree on price though... I'm sure the 3 will be more pricey than the Bolt. But it's going to have to be a lot more expensive for the Bolt to have a chance. The econobox design gives the Bolt a big disadvantage.
Yeah, I don't know if that's really the Model S market though. I think the S has created its own market actually. "High End Tech" or something?

Re Model 3 design... let's tap the brakes. We're not talking about a Ferrari Daytona here. It's certainly more interesting looking than a Bolt (probably better looking, all things considered), but it is also somewhat ungainly from certain angles (lack of grill still looks odd) and it isn't that much more shapely than a previous gen Mazda 3

I chuckle at the Tesla fanboys just spouting off "It'll be $2,500 cheaper than the Bolt, have autopilot, more range and ludicrous mode". Yeah... no

Last edited by lionsfan5454; 11-25-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:48 PM
E in Phila
Team Owner

Yeah, I don't know if that's really the Model S market though. I think the S has created its own market actually. "High End Tech" or something?

Re Model 3 design... let's tap the brakes. We're not talking about a Ferrari Daytona here. It's certainly more interesting looking than a Bolt (probably better looking, all things considered), but it is also somewhat ungainly from certain angles (lack of grill still looks odd) and it isn't that much more shapely than a previous gen Mazda 3

I chuckle at the Tesla fanboys just spouting off "It'll be $2,500 cheaper than the Bolt, have autopilot, more range and ludicrous mode". Yeah... no
No, it will start higher and options will add up. But like the BMW 3 series which has typically won its segment despite being pricier than the competition, I think people will pay up for it.

My prediction for the Bolt is disappointing sales followed by a rapid redesign. Reviews suggest they built a quality car... but styling it like an econobox was a huge mistake.

And yeah the 3 design is not perfect, but it is FAR better. The car will have much more cache, by virtue of brand and design.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:02 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

No, it will start higher and options will add up. But like the BMW 3 series which has typically won its segment despite being pricier than the competition, I think people will pay up for it.

My prediction for the Bolt is disappointing sales followed by a rapid redesign. Reviews suggest they built a quality car... but styling it like an econobox was a huge mistake.

And yeah the 3 design is not perfect, but it is FAR better. The car will have much more cache, by virtue of brand and design.
I do wonder why they didn't style it more like a crossover. That small crossover market is white hot right now and they can put any body shell they want on that "skateboard" platform.

If those Bolts tank and then used ones are dirt chip (like the Leaf), I'll happily pick one up for pennies on the dollar though
Old 12-01-2016, 10:31 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

I don't know about the Tesla as I have no interest in that brand, but I'm sure right now I'd rather have a Bolt than the ridiculous BMW i3..
Old 12-04-2016, 08:11 AM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by csf
I don't know about the Tesla as I have no interest in that brand, but I'm sure right now I'd rather have a Bolt than the ridiculous BMW i3..
Old 12-05-2016, 01:10 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,032 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Saw Chevy Bolt EV at LA Auto Show