Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Audi RS5

Old 11-30-2016, 11:52 PM
kingsey
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Audi RS5

Anyone have one of these? 450hp v8 in an awd package sounds nice. Seems this will be the last german v8 as they are all going to FI.

How bad is upkeep with these? I know the rotors are expensive but i feel i can replace those myself.

Would you just save the money and go with an S5 with 333hp supercharged?

Any input. Thank you. Typed this from my phone hope its legible
Old 12-01-2016, 10:05 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

I've been considering one. RS5 is so much more of a car than a regular S5 which is so much more than an A5. Aside from that I don't have much too add.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:41 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I drive an 2013 S4 as one of my DD's and I have driven the RS5 so my post is from my personal experience.

The RS5 is comparably reliable to the S5 and Audi's maintenance schedules is not bad at all. The RS5 is going to deliver a more of a visceral experience as it makes its peak HP at high RPM and revs to 8300, it's peak torque is 317 (8 shy of the S5) and it makes it at 4000rpm vs. the S5's peak of 325 made at 2500rpm. The sound of the NA V8 (while not screaming loud) is certainly nicer than the note of the supercharged 6.

If your looking for a car that you plan to use for daily duty then the S5 will likely work just fine as the diesel like torque from the supercharged 6 is fantastic in daily driving. You can also easily tune the 3.0T engine as the aftermarket is very strong for this engine. Not so many options for the NA 4.2L motor. I have a $300 piggyback tuner on my S4, it knocked a full 1/2 second off my 1/4 mile time and I picked up 4-5mph. With a full flash ECU/TCU tune you can make the S5 much quicker than the RS5. EPL and Unitronic offer flash from home options, there are dual pulley stage 2+ cars that are running bottom to mid 11's (we are talking bolt ons). I suggest driving both cars, figure out your end game and buy what you think fits your requirements. Check out audizine.com for some great info, it's a very active forum.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:52 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Cruise-In XI Veteran

Also forgot to add...... if you drive/purchase the S5, make sure you find one with the sports differential. This is a night/day difference kind of option for this car and it's a must have. I would also strongly suggest the Bang & Olufsen audio option. If you go S5 you be well served by sourcing a 2013 or newer (B8.5 chassis) as there are some key convenience upgrades and they have proven much more reliable. The 2010-2012 B8 cars were more prone to mechatronic/trans issues along with water pump failures.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:37 AM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

I considered one for a long time. Drove it and was underwhelmed. I think it is one of the best looking German cars out there period. But it was overpriced for what you got and pushed in the corners like crazy.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:36 PM
91Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I had a 2010 S5 (NA 4.2 V8) as a daily driver and really enjoyed the car. Always wanted to drive an RS5 to see how it compared, but never did get the chance.

As MVR 155 said, the B8.5 S5 with the supercharged v6 has a lot of options for tuning whereas the NA 4.2 V8s does not.

Check out audizine as there is a lot of good info on that forum for Audis.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:12 PM
Kurac
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MVR 155
I drive an 2013 S4 as one of my DD's and I have driven the RS5 so my post is from my personal experience.

The RS5 is comparably reliable to the S5 and Audi's maintenance schedules is not bad at all. The RS5 is going to deliver a more of a visceral experience as it makes its peak HP at high RPM and revs to 8300, it's peak torque is 317 (8 shy of the S5) and it makes it at 4000rpm vs. the S5's peak of 325 made at 2500rpm. The sound of the NA V8 (while not screaming loud) is certainly nicer than the note of the supercharged 6.

If your looking for a car that you plan to use for daily duty then the S5 will likely work just fine as the diesel like torque from the supercharged 6 is fantastic in daily driving. You can also easily tune the 3.0T engine as the aftermarket is very strong for this engine. Not so many options for the NA 4.2L motor. I have a $300 piggyback tuner on my S4, it knocked a full 1/2 second off my 1/4 mile time and I picked up 4-5mph. With a full flash ECU/TCU tune you can make the S5 much quicker than the RS5. EPL and Unitronic offer flash from home options, there are dual pulley stage 2+ cars that are running bottom to mid 11's (we are talking bolt ons). I suggest driving both cars, figure out your end game and buy what you think fits your requirements. Check out audizine.com for some great info, it's a very active forum.
I agree with this. A stage 2 B8.5 will be quicker than the RS5 and get you better MOG's. If these things don't matter much to you, an RS5 with a cat back sounds amazing!
Old 12-11-2016, 02:14 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

A former coworker has one. He purchased it to serve as a daily driver & track day car. He drove the Rs5, GTR, M3, and several others and choose the RS5 as the best compromise of daily driver and track toy.

I remember him telling me that it is not just a tuned S5 that it is actually wider, has the v8 from the r8 v8 car and the engine sounded really nice.

His opinion was that when compared to the M3 coupe and GTR, the M3 being RWD didn't make sense in Chicago Winter and the GTR while amazingly fast didn't work well as a daily driver.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:39 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by LowFlight
I considered one for a long time. Drove it and was underwhelmed. I think it is one of the best looking German cars out there period. But it was overpriced for what you got and pushed in the corners like crazy.
I bought a 16 S4 in the summer of 2015, factory ordered, Sepang, dual clutch, etc. I was shocked by the understeer. The steering is completely numb as well.

I sold it 10 months later for my SS. The only thing I miss about the Audi is the steering wheel.

If youre a bigger guy, don't even bother with a performance Audi, the seats are uncomfortable since you can't adjust the bolsters

Last edited by KBow_Photo; 12-12-2016 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:45 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Cruise-In XI Veteran

Originally Posted by Lemans24
I bought a 16 S4 in the summer of 2015, factory ordered, Sepang, dual clutch, etc. I was shocked by the understeer. The steering is completely numb as well.

I sold it 10 months later for my SS. The only thing I miss about the Audi is the steering wheel.

If youre a bigger guy, don't even bother with a performance Audi, the seats are uncomfortable since you can't adjust the bolsters
Did your car have the sport differential? And if yes, what did you have it set at (comfort, auto or dynamic)? Did your car have the 18" all season tires or did you opt for the 19" summer performance tires? the difference in the way the car handles going from the 18" A/S to the 19" summer rubber is pretty significant. i wore out the stock 19" contis and run Pilot Super Sports which are a nice upgrade over the stock contis. I dont think the understeer is bad on my S4 but i do have the differential set on dynamic which is the most aggressive setting. Won't argue much on the steering feel, just about all of the newer cars with electric steering seem to be lacking on feeling.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:17 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by MVR 155
Did your car have the sport differential? And if yes, what did you have it set at (comfort, auto or dynamic)? Did your car have the 18" all season tires or did you opt for the 19" summer performance tires? the difference in the way the car handles going from the 18" A/S to the 19" summer rubber is pretty significant. i wore out the stock 19" contis and run Pilot Super Sports which are a nice upgrade over the stock contis. I dont think the understeer is bad on my S4 but i do have the differential set on dynamic which is the most aggressive setting. Won't argue much on the steering feel, just about all of the newer cars with electric steering seem to be lacking on feeling.
I ordered it with the upgraded suspension and differential. I had the stock Conti summers on there when I nearly put it in a wall at 60 on a curve the Sonic I had had no issues with. I don't remember if I was in dynamic at the time though. It was very fast but I never felt like I could comfortably throw it around.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:47 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

Have a 2014 S6. Amazing car and possibly one of the best cars I've owned. If you're not buying new see if you can find a CPO car. Bought mine a little over a year old with 4K miles on it. Audi had it as a CPO car and the prior owner purchased the maintaince program till 45k miles. Had it for almost a year and put 22k miles with zero issues and 20 mpg's. Amazing interior and awesome fit and finish...fast as hell too!

Old 12-20-2016, 09:10 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Cruise-In XI Veteran

Originally Posted by MRANT212
Have a 2014 S6. Amazing car and possibly one of the best cars I've owned. If you're not buying new see if you can find a CPO car. Bought mine a little over a year old with 4K miles on it. Audi had it as a CPO car and the prior owner purchased the maintaince program till 45k miles. Had it for almost a year and put 22k miles with zero issues and 20 mpg's. Amazing interior and awesome fit and finish...fast as hell too!

S6 is a sweet car, I have been in a dilemma about ordering a new S6 or keeping my S4..... My S4 (which I purchased new) is paid off and has low miles, I have decided to purchase the Audi pure bumper to bumper warranty (it will be 4 years old in April and buying the warranty prior to 35K is much cheaper than waiting). It will have me keeping new car piece of mind without saddling up with payments or writing a big a$$ check.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:31 PM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Friend of mine has a RS5. Very understated with a classic shape and beautiful interior. Can't discuss the performance as I've never been in it when he romps on it, but definitely a nice car.

Get notified of new replies

To Audi RS5

Search this Thread