Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Need some help fixing dealer prep!

Old 01-01-2017, 10:16 AM
Brett K
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need some help fixing dealer prep!

I just picked up a new Nissan Titan XD yesterday. Apparently, dealer prep means running it through their car wash and drying it with sandpaper. Scratches everywhere. I am not letting them anywhere near it to fix. This part I can handle once the weather gets nicer.

My problem is it has painted and clear coated aluminum wheels with sticker residue all over them. There is also some sort of film remaining on them from the covers that were on them from shipping. You can actually read the words "remove covers" across the face of the wheels. What can I use to safely remove the words without damaging the clear coat or scratching them. I assume whatever solvent is used would have to be carefully selected.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:17 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett K
I just picked up a new Nissan Titan XD yesterday. Apparently, dealer prep means running it through their car wash and drying it with sandpaper. Scratches everywhere. I am not letting them anywhere near it to fix. This part I can handle once the weather gets nicer.

My problem is it has painted and clear coated aluminum wheels with sticker residue all over them. There is also some sort of film remaining on them from the covers that were on them from shipping. You can actually read the words "remove covers" across the face of the wheels. What can I use to safely remove the words without damaging the clear coat or scratching them. I assume whatever solvent is used would have to be carefully selected.

Your going to treat them exactly as you would your painted surfaces. Wash them well, consider claying, and then use a good paint polish to cleanup the surfaces. I would suggest coating them once done to protect them. Several great products exist to help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some help fixing dealer prep!