Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Lexus IS AWD or MB C300 4matic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 04:25 PM
2012CyberGrayGS
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lexus IS AWD or MB C300 4matic?

I am selling my affected VW Jetta Tdi back to VW so now I need to look for a new DD to take to work almost 100 miles per day. I will not buy another VW. I really like the car and would like to get another but I hate VW and the local dealer.
I am looking to go all wheel drive so I don't have to use my 4x4 diesel pick up truck on long trips where I might get significant snow.
I am trying to decide between a C300 4matic Benz and a Lexus IS 250 or 350 AWD.
Who has had one of these vehicles? What are the pros and cons?
How do they hold up against salt(rust)? Engine longevity? Any common major or minor frequent problems?
Any info you can give is appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-03-2017, 10:25 AM
91Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

My DD is a 2015 Lexus IS 350 F Sport AWD. I was in your shoes (with a long commute) when I was shopping for a vehicle, so reliability was a prime motivator.

Pros - I have owned the IS for two years now and have had zero issues with the car. Lexus reliability rocks! AWD makes it very capable in snow and slick weather. I run all seasons and have never had an issue getting around in the snow. Power, handling and braking are all very good. If power is important to you, go with the IS 350 - I had an IS 250 as a loaner (for regular service visit) and the 100 horsepower deficit was a night and day difference.

Cons - Not many to speak of. The F Sport package - while making handling very sporty - also leans towards a firmer ride. Strange as it sounds, the F Sport package also negates memory for your seat position. If you are not looking at an F Sport, these won't apply.

All in all, I most certainly recommend the IS 350 AWD. Good luck with your vehicle search!

Last edited by 91Vette; 01-03-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:22 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Whichever you go with, get one with as many options as possible because they really transform the car.

Also consider Audi A4, BMW 3 series with X drive, and Cadillac ATS-4.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:02 AM
2012CyberGrayGS
Instructor

Originally Posted by 91Vette
My DD is a 2015 Lexus IS 350 F Sport AWD. I was in your shoes (with a long commute) when I was shopping for a vehicle, so reliability was a prime motivator.

Pros - I have owned the IS for two years now and have had zero issues with the car. Lexus reliability rocks! AWD makes it very capable in snow and slick weather. I run all seasons and have never had an issue getting around in the snow. Power, handling and braking are all very good. If power is important to you, go with the IS 350 - I had an IS 250 as a loaner (for regular service visit) and the 100 horsepower deficit was a night and day difference.

Cons - Not many to speak of. The F Sport package - while making handling very sporty - also leans towards a firmer ride. Strange as it sounds, the F Sport package also negates memory for your seat position. If you are not looking at an F Sport, these won't apply.

All in all, I most certainly recommend the IS 350 AWD. Good luck with your vehicle search!
Thank you!
From what I read the Lexus has a lower cost of ownership and is very reliable. Just took out a 2014 IS250 AWD with 32K on it. It was very nice. Wife loved it. Filled out the paper work and put some money down and will decide on it Monday. The power doesn't matter to me. That's what the vette is for. I want this for the 18-20k miles a year I drive. That is why I bought the diesel Jetta for the 40+mpg. It more than paid for itself. I should get another 40mpg car but don't really like what is out there. I actually really liked the VW but I hate the company and dealer and that I have to get everything through the dealer or order online including oil and filter.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:09 AM
2012CyberGrayGS
Instructor

Originally Posted by White Out
Whichever you go with, get one with as many options as possible because they really transform the car.

Also consider Audi A4, BMW 3 series with X drive, and Cadillac ATS-4.
I like Audi but that is in the same boat as VW with having to go to the dealer for everything. I don't always have time for that. Probably the same with BMW but not sure. I though about the Caddy but it almost seems to flashy for my line of work. So are the other cars but I think the Caddy stands out too much. I work in some not so nice areas sometimes (I usually drive my truck if I can on those) including Englewood in Chicago for a few months. A Caddy really stands out there. I am a heavy equipment operator and some people already hold it against me for the nice toys I have which isn't good for my income especially when I have nicer things than some of the bosses.
Those are all nice cars though.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:17 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

You really have only one choice between those two. You can get a brand known for reliability, quality, and insane resale value... or you can get a German car known for frequent issues, expensive service, and terrible resale values.

I'd maybe look at an Acura in your position. The TSX or whatever they have like that nowdays.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:46 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

If you are talking about a 2015+ C300 then I would definitely recommend that. If you are talking about a previous gen (say 2010) C300 or the like then I would get the Lexus.

I buy and sell these cars all day, every day. New C Class is nice, old C Class is not that nice. Lexus are always the same, vanilla soul-less. Better than some, worse than others.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:58 PM
Snobike Mike
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're throwing a IS350 in the mix then you should also look at the C43. The extra 120hp over the C300 makes it much more enjoyable to drive.

Happy Hunting.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:05 PM
Corvette Poor
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

MB Vs. Lexus ? That would be Lexus hands down.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:30 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Poor
MB Vs. Lexus ? That would be Lexus hands down.
sure, if you're a boring person with no original thoughts
Old 03-21-2017, 07:24 AM
E in Phila
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't stand Lexus styling so it would be the Benz or another of the Germans for me. I've had nothing but German cars for a very long time now and have never owned one that wasn't great... their styling and feel has always hit the spot for me.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:12 PM
Donuts
Race Director

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Benz 4matic if there's warranty left
Old 04-02-2017, 02:37 PM
427muscle
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
If you are talking about a 2015+ C300 then I would definitely recommend that. If you are talking about a previous gen (say 2010) C300 or the like then I would get the Lexus.

I buy and sell these cars all day, every day. New C Class is nice, old C Class is not that nice. Lexus are always the same, vanilla soul-less. Better than some, worse than others.
This x2

Get notified of new replies

To Lexus IS AWD or MB C300 4matic?

Quick Reply: Lexus IS AWD or MB C300 4matic?