Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

2016 or 2017 SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 09:11 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Default 2016 or 2017 SS

I like quirky cars and this seems right up my ally. V8 sedan with good performance. But I cant find any dealers who even have them in stock.

Anyone know if the bigger dealers even carry these? Looking for a nice big discount if I buy one because obviously the resale value would be in the toilet.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:11 AM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.myronss.com/

This guy seems to be about the best bet.

I'd also look long and hard at a low mileage 2015. You get the magnetic shocks and save about $15k off new

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=142950898
Old 01-05-2017, 11:56 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

My friend has a 2016 (auto) and it is very fun to drive. Much like an E39M5.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:21 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I've been looking for a new one and the 2017's aren't at the dealers yet. Very few 2016's are left and they are only automatics. I missed out when they were 20% off, it seems like publications have really been pushing these cars lately so I'd be surprised if they are discounted again. Also the invoice price is only a few hundred bucks under msrp.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:31 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hungryhippo
I've been looking for a new one and the 2017's aren't at the dealers yet. Very few 2016's are left and they are only automatics. I missed out when they were 20% off, it seems like publications have really been pushing these cars lately so I'd be surprised if they are discounted again. Also the invoice price is only a few hundred bucks under msrp.
The one thing I learned in the last 5 years is that invoice means absolutely dick in todays world. I just bought a 2017 Jeep Wrangler for 7% under invoice and positive the dealer didnt lose any money on the deal.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:57 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

I like the SS also...but it's more money than I want to spend for a sedan right now.
Produced by Holden (GM) in Australia...and 2017 might be the last m-y of production for the marque.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:46 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

Almost considered one... amazing value for the $$$$!!!!
Old 01-14-2017, 08:29 PM
16sedanSS
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsfan5454
http://www.myronss.com/

This guy seems to be about the best bet.

Myron seems to be a good guy, and sells a bunch of them.

I love my SS Sedan.
Much better daily driver than my Corvettes and my 2016 Camaro SS.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:21 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,453 Likes on 2,805 Posts

The SS is a great car. Real shame the 2017 is the last year. It also looks like they got rid of the nice alcantara type interior and replaced with full leather.

The ideal combo would be 6 speed but no mag ride, sadly we never got that. The first year had no mag ride but was auto only. After that the mag ride because mandatory.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:24 AM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FAUEE
The SS is a great car. Real shame the 2017 is the last year. It also looks like they got rid of the nice alcantara type interior and replaced with full leather.

The ideal combo would be 6 speed but no mag ride, sadly we never got that. The first year had no mag ride but was auto only. After that the mag ride because mandatory.
What's wrong with the mag ride?
Old 01-16-2017, 04:02 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

What's wrong with the mag ride?
I think it's stupid. It's just one more thing that will go wrong, and eventually you will not be able to find the parts for it. My C4 has the adjustable suspension (ffar less advanced), and the shocks for it have been nearly impossible to find forever. At least that system can be bypassed easily, but with newer generations of cars with mag ride, that is less the case. Those cars become disposable once those parts are gone.

Plus, it's just not something I would spend money on. It's trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. If you tune your suspension right, you get grip and comfort without the need for mag ride. It's like an eLSD, a mechanical one works fine, costs less, and is easier to service and repair.

GM has really never been that great at product planning for these imported holdens. The G8 was very much the same, a great car let down by some terrible product planning decisions.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:45 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

I think it's stupid. It's just one more thing that will go wrong, and eventually you will not be able to find the parts for it. My C4 has the adjustable suspension (ffar less advanced), and the shocks for it have been nearly impossible to find forever. At least that system can be bypassed easily, but with newer generations of cars with mag ride, that is less the case. Those cars become disposable once those parts are gone.

Plus, it's just not something I would spend money on. It's trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. If you tune your suspension right, you get grip and comfort without the need for mag ride. It's like an eLSD, a mechanical one works fine, costs less, and is easier to service and repair.

GM has really never been that great at product planning for these imported holdens. The G8 was very much the same, a great car let down by some terrible product planning decisions.
Ok, so no real reasons. Got it

Mag ride shocks have been around for over a decade and are readily available still, even for mid 2000s cars. They are also a performance revelation and allow almost magical tuning, on the fly. You can't "tune your suspension" as the road changes and only about 0.0001% of drivers are going to tune their own shocks, that's just silly.

Same with the eDiffs. They trim serious time off laps and really increase performance and handling. They aren't putting them on for fun.

I actually thought you knew something legit wrong with them.

Basing purchase decisions on what you'll need to restore/maintain in 30-40 years is irrational to be honest

Last edited by lionsfan5454; 01-16-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:46 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Do they are actually making them for 2017?
Old 01-18-2017, 08:18 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Ok, so no real reasons. Got it

Mag ride shocks have been around for over a decade and are readily available still, even for mid 2000s cars. They are also a performance revelation and allow almost magical tuning, on the fly. You can't "tune your suspension" as the road changes and only about 0.0001% of drivers are going to tune their own shocks, that's just silly.

Same with the eDiffs. They trim serious time off laps and really increase performance and handling. They aren't putting them on for fun.

I actually thought you knew something legit wrong with them.

Basing purchase decisions on what you'll need to restore/maintain in 30-40 years is irrational to be honest
Well, more like 20 years. But yes for the first few owners it doesn't matter.

I wouldn't go as far as saying "iit's a performance revelation". It's nice, but for me personally not worth the added expense. I also have a very different view on what is an acceptable ride quality, as I daily drive an STI, which in terms of the car mags is like riding in a tumbler full of rocks. From my perspective, the long wheelbase, stiff chassis, and relatively soft suspension handle the bumps just fine without any mag ride. I'd rather that money be spent on a more rowdy exhaust, or more tires to burnout.

Is the mag ride objectively better? Probably, as you said the car adapts to the roads. Same for the eLSD, it does some of the work for you. But the eLSD saps some of the fun of doing it yourself out and removes some of that analog feel cars used to have. The Mag ride adds cost, and complexity, and solves a non exists to problem. People didn't complain about the ride in old sport sedans, they had a nice ride and handled great because of a good chassis and the engineers designing the suspension tune well.

And I think that's where GM fails with this car every time. They don't get who wants to buy it. They have a car that is for all ontents, a larger E39 M5. The E39 M5 was great because of its overall package. I think people who liked the E39 M5 would buy the SS, if it was just a little more rowdy and a little less plush.

In a world where you can get more power for less money with an even nicer interior in the 392 Charger, the SS had to deliver even more fun. And it didnt, it just delivered a stick, for a small amount of buyers.

Last edited by FAUEE; 01-18-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:47 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Since I started this thread might as well update it. Couldn't find a 2017 on any dealers lot. And very little discounts on existing new leftover 2016's. In the process of buying a 2017 Coupe 1LT. Should have it the first week of Feb.
Would of most likely bought an SS if the price were right. But not paying as much as our new Corvette costs.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:42 AM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
Since I started this thread might as well update it. Couldn't find a 2017 on any dealers lot. And very little discounts on existing new leftover 2016's. In the process of buying a 2017 Coupe 1LT. Should have it the first week of Feb.
Would of most likely bought an SS if the price were right. But not paying as much as our new Corvette costs.
according to an ordering member on SS Forum.com, the first 2017 SS should be arriving at dealerships tomorrow...you must be getting a smoking deal on a new Corvette...enjoy the ride!

Bill

Last edited by silversport; 01-19-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:47 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks like the GM site is showing inventory locally, though I know that can mean in transit.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:49 PM
lionsfan5454
Team Owner

Well, more like 20 years. But yes for the first few owners it doesn't matter.

I wouldn't go as far as saying "iit's a performance revelation". It's nice, but for me personally not worth the added expense. I also have a very different view on what is an acceptable ride quality, as I daily drive an STI, which in terms of the car mags is like riding in a tumbler full of rocks. From my perspective, the long wheelbase, stiff chassis, and relatively soft suspension handle the bumps just fine without any mag ride. I'd rather that money be spent on a more rowdy exhaust, or more tires to burnout.

Is the mag ride objectively better? Probably, as you said the car adapts to the roads. Same for the eLSD, it does some of the work for you. But the eLSD saps some of the fun of doing it yourself out and removes some of that analog feel cars used to have. The Mag ride adds cost, and complexity, and solves a non exists to problem. People didn't complain about the ride in old sport sedans, they had a nice ride and handled great because of a good chassis and the engineers designing the suspension tune well.

And I think that's where GM fails with this car every time. They don't get who wants to buy it. They have a car that is for all ontents, a larger E39 M5. The E39 M5 was great because of its overall package. I think people who liked the E39 M5 would buy the SS, if it was just a little more rowdy and a little less plush.

In a world where you can get more power for less money with an even nicer interior in the 392 Charger, the SS had to deliver even more fun. And it didnt, it just delivered a stick, for a small amount of buyers.
Always thought that car was the biggest obstacle to the SS doing even better. Most people aren't going to pick up on the subtle steering and handling advantages the SS brought to the table. Shame.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 or 2017 SS

Quick Reply: 2016 or 2017 SS