Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

For people familiar with Porsche Turbo S/GT 3/GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 04:54 PM
lgsdds
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Default For people familiar with Porsche Turbo S/GT 3/GT3 RS

This is for anyone who has some first hand experience with the 911 Turbo S, GT 3 and/or GT 3 R S. From a standstill or slow roll, will these cars hook up without 'fishtailing' with only moderate throttle on cold tires--30 degrees outside and less than 1 mile from starting. No spinning of tires, just a moderate acceleration.
In the same vein, does the ZO6 have so much torque that the tires just cannot hook up until warm or weather conditions are better. I am not talking about snap oversteer, just a condition where the back end just seems unable to stay stable with any moderate acceleration when cold. May just be the nature of the beast. Just had the car properly aligned with the DSC controller and there was NO snap oversteer(so far) like before, but the unstable back end is still a wake up call, but maybe it is what it is.
Love to know how Porsches act.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:21 PM
JDC PDX
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

The Turbo S will have better traction than either GT car because of the AWD. You shouldn't get any wheel spin with moderate acceleration.

I could easily spin the tires of my Z06 in three gears with similar acceleration.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:27 PM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

The Porsche has rear weight bias that makes all the difference off the line.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:55 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Just buy the damn Porsche.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:53 PM
zman62
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
Just buy the damn Porsche.
I have had both the 991 turbo s as well as the 991 gt3. They both would accelerate hard off the line with very little wheel spin. The Gt3 would spin for a few feet but the Turbo s would just hook being all wheel drive.

My Z06 requires some throttle control to launch well.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:31 PM
Florida2000
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by zman62
I have had both the 991 turbo s as well as the 991 gt3. They both would accelerate hard off the line with very little wheel spin. The Gt3 would spin for a few feet but the Turbo s would just hook being all wheel drive.

My Z06 requires some throttle control to launch well.
or use launch control, it works pretty well too
Old 01-06-2017, 01:48 AM
shakeydog
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lgsdds
This is for anyone who has some first hand experience with the 911 Turbo S, GT 3 and/or GT 3 R S. From a standstill or slow roll, will these cars hook up without 'fishtailing' with only moderate throttle on cold tires--30 degrees outside and less than 1 mile from starting. No spinning of tires, just a moderate acceleration.
In the same vein, does the ZO6 have so much torque that the tires just cannot hook up until warm or weather conditions are better. I am not talking about snap oversteer, just a condition where the back end just seems unable to stay stable with any moderate acceleration when cold. May just be the nature of the beast. Just had the car properly aligned with the DSC controller and there was NO snap oversteer(so far) like before, but the unstable back end is still a wake up call, but maybe it is what it is.
Love to know how Porsches act.
I'm not good with the links deal. But google Road & Track's video of the 50 (yes 50) nonstop consecutive launches of the new Turbo S. If you would love to know how Porsches act, you will have no doubt in your mind after their video. For a little preview shall we call it : Look ma no hands. You can also try Rennlist forums.

Last edited by shakeydog; 01-06-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:41 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

If you launch it when cold/snowy/wet, it's not going to hook up, even with a turbo. The Porsche AWD isn't Subaru AWD and it has a significant amount of power. All of them are likely on performance tires, which really let you know they don't have traction in cold temps. If you drive like a normal person, it will be fine.

watch this:

Last edited by White Out; 01-06-2017 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:08 AM
LowFlight
Team Owner

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '17
Cruise-In V Veteran

Even better than my FBO GTR had, though not as violent a jolt.

Get notified of new replies

To For people familiar with Porsche Turbo S/GT 3/GT3 RS

Quick Reply: For people familiar with Porsche Turbo S/GT 3/GT3 RS