Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Technical: GM 4T60E Rebuild Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 06:22 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Technical: GM 4T60E Rebuild Question

I'm overhauling a 1998 Venture 4T60E tranny and need a hint on one of the finer assembly points. On the 3rd/Input Sprag there is a spiral ring that holds the whole thing together (#8682449) On page 61 of the ATSG manual it states "Note: Spiral lock ring must be replaced when service is required." I don't know why this would be true, but I bought a new one anyways. This ring has tiny detents in it that cause the layers to lock on to each other when installed properly. To remove it, I gently pried the top layer up away from the layer below it and when the detent disengaged, I pulled the ring out. The sprags are in perfect condition. Now I need to install the new spiral lock ring. I've got it all the way in except for the final 1/2" where one of the detents is located. I pull up on the top layer and try to angle the layer into the sprag and get the detents to engage, but it won't fall into place. It's obvious the ring is not properly completely seated in the sprag. What is the trick here?

Quick Reply: Technical: GM 4T60E Rebuild Question