Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Time to move onItsa

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 01:20 AM
Harley6
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
Default Time to move on?

I've owned a 2003 GMC Yukon Denali since it was new, and aside from my recently purchased 2003 Corvette, it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned.
Never put much money into it except oil, tires and usual maintenance...until this month.

It is pushing 180,000 miles and in the past three weeks something has needed repair: throttle body three weeks ago, oil leak last week and a radiator replacement this week. And just today all heat/AC started blowing out the defroster and not the regular vents or floor. Ride leveling system failed a few years ago but I decided not to repair it.

Mechanics have told me never to get rid of it because that engine will run forever. But with everything that has happened already, I'm having second thoughts. I don't want to move on because it has been such an awesome rig, but I also fear what else may happen.

Any of you faced this dilemma with your old but not-so-reliable vehicle? What did you do?

Last edited by Harley6; 01-27-2017 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Headline typo
Old 01-21-2017, 02:59 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

It's almost always cheaper to repair than replace.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:17 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

I'll buy it If you're gonna sell it cheap...
In all seriosuness, when I bought my truck I traded in a paid for saturn vue. It had never let me down, but it had little issues that a cheaply built 10 year old car would have. The final straw was a cel for the cats. Was probably an o2 sensor. I traded it with my c6gs for the truck for a pittance and regret it completely. I then traded the truck for my sti, I found a need for the saturn again. It's always good to have a reliable, paid for vehicle.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:58 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I am in the same spot with my 99 'Burban. 185k, rung great but the little stuff is getting to me. If you are doing your own work and do not need it as a DD I would keep it, but if you need something to get to work everyday and are paying someone else to fix it when it breaks I would suggest looking to upgrade. Personally I am looking into a new Colorado to replace my DD and the 'Burban.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:21 AM
Harley6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
I am in the same spot with my 99 'Burban. 185k, rung great but the little stuff is getting to me. If you are doing your own work and do not need it as a DD I would keep it, but if you need something to get to work everyday and are paying someone else to fix it when it breaks I would suggest looking to upgrade. Personally I am looking into a new Colorado to replace my DD and the 'Burban.
You pretty much spelled out my dilemma. I can do some basic mechanical things, but being our daily driver/people mover I can't have it down for several days while I carve out time to try and fix it. I have a good trustworthy mechanic, but when things are adding up like this it makes me cringe to pay the repair bills. Having said that, I still haven't spent the equivalent of two or three car payments in repair costs, and if that keeps it running the rest of the year without problem I'll be happy. It has been the best vehicle I've ever had and my goal has always been to get 200,000 miles out of it.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:31 PM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I would walk away, get into a new one and use that for another 14 years.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:56 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

nothing last forever, and you've gotten very good use out of the truck...maybe buy a CPO model if you don't want to buy new.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:54 PM
TurboTnZ06
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Get another one just like it = two Suburbans = winning! I sold my '15 Denali crew cab to get a '93 Suburban, and also have a 2009 Suburban. Sure I could have new ones, but if I can fix the nickle n dime stuff, it's waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:29 AM
Harley6
Instructor

Update: After a week of blissful, no-issues driving, I actually felt a little cocky thinking this wave of troubles was over. Shows what I get for thinking.

Then, driving down the road today I heard what sounded like a pulley/bearing noise from the engine. It would get louder when the engine revved and quiet when the engine idled. And tonight I noticed a small puddle of coolant on the garage floor.

I haven't looked any deeper into it, but I'm guessing water pump. I'm going to try and tackle this one myself.

I've owned a lot of cars over the years and driven some of them well over 100,000 mostly trouble-free miles thanks to regular maintenance. I've never had one had this many problems back-to-back-to-back-to-back like this. It's like the old thing is telling me it's done.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:28 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Remove the serpentine belt and rotate each pulley (except the crankshaft) by hand. If one of the bearings went bad you will feel it. WP is easy to do, just make sure to clean all the gasket mating surfaces and bleed the system when you are done. Good luck. I just broke down earlier this week and bought a new truck, so I had reached my point.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:58 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

if its leaking coolent ,its a waterpump[90%],waterpump is about $100,4hrs labor

Get notified of new replies

To Time to move onItsa

Quick Reply: Time to move onItsa