Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

Thinking of getting an Alfa 4C Spider

Old 02-20-2017, 11:47 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default Thinking of getting an Alfa 4C Spider

I really like the way these look, but don't know anything about Alfas. Anyone have any ownership experience with them? It bums me out it's auto only, but I think it would be a fun car to zip around the wine country in.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:14 AM
White Out
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Very similar to an Elise/Exige, which is an insanely fun car to drive. The Alfa is nice inside (all carbon), sounds good and has a decent amount of aftermarket support for how low of a production car it is. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if it's on your radar.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:54 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

I debated between a 4C and my now C7 Z51. I also test drive the 4C.

The Carbon tub is beautiful, but otherwise the interior is ****.
You need to test drive one. No power steering has its ups and downs. It's not as bad as some media makes it out to be, though.
Handling is awesome, it's stupid wide wheelbase for its length.
It's loud, blowoff is awesome but 4-banger is otherwise not that great sounding.
It's styling is beautiful in person. Pics do no justice.
Alfa support and reliability is sketchy at best.
Radio is complete ****.
Seats are not that comfortable.
The rarity and cool factor is pretty strong. Much more than a C7 of course.
Significantly slower than the Z51 on almost any track despite good power to weight.

I go back and forth but now and then wished I would have picked one up. It's still on my radar.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:20 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks for the feedback. I need to go check one out and drive it. They don't build many, so there's not a ton of feedback out there on it. The nearest dealership is like an 1:45 drive from me, so that's a big drawback, especially if it starts having issues.

I dunno, I'll go check one out, it is a killer looking car.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:16 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/

Alfa support and reliability is sketchy at best.

remember the old parent co. mantra: "Fix It Again Tony"
Old 02-25-2017, 10:43 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I would suggest a preowned Alfa 4c if you don't mind higher than normal (for corvettes) maintaince costs...

Follow every suggested maintance and realize the Europeans tend to take better care of their cars than Americans ...

The Alfa is very intense and exciting all the time...a nice sports car for the weekend.

You can rent them on the owner based rental company quite often for a few hundred a day to decide for yourself.

Example https://turo.com/search?location=Wes...s=Alfa%20Romeo

Last edited by JerriVette; 02-25-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:42 AM
RAGS747
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I purchased a 16 4C coupe last June, I prefer the lines of the coupe but that is obviously up to the buyer. I have the 5 hole Silver wheels 18 and 19". Race exhaust I do not find too loud at all, its all just a very raw experience and extremely enjoyable. The view out front is like you are right on the road, the view out back is not as bad as described but good luck if you have to back up.

Have always been a manual guy but I really enjoy the DCT in the Alfa. Im always in Dynamic and Manual mode, shifts are fast and I really enjoy playing with the transmission. The car provides a very hard ride, but it is so well damped and solid that it all feels as if it is made of one piece...no fenders or cowl shaking around etc. For me she is plenty fast at 4.1sec 0-60, weighs only 2443lbs. Only 1k miles on her so far as she has been sitting all winter, that should end shortly.

For me its a 2nd/3rd car and really just a toy. My main driving is typical 2 lane country style roads, plenty of curves, hills etc. Not the best car if you are mainly doing highway driving imo. You should be able to get some serious $ off...Good Luck...
Old 03-01-2017, 02:09 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look at the coupe, I'm pretty sure one of the dealers close to me has had one sitting for a while. I'll have to go sit in one and see if I can get a test drive. Dealers in my area don't deal much, if I like it I'm pretty much convinced I'll have to spread my search out of this area which is no big deal. It would be a third car for me too, I think it would be a lot of fun driving the Napa, Dry Creek and Sonoma valleys in it.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:06 PM
NARIMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAGS747
I purchased a 16 4C coupe last June, I prefer the lines of the coupe but that is obviously up to the buyer. I have the 5 hole Silver wheels 18 and 19". Race exhaust I do not find too loud at all, its all just a very raw experience and extremely enjoyable. The view out front is like you are right on the road, the view out back is not as bad as described but good luck if you have to back up.

Have always been a manual guy but I really enjoy the DCT in the Alfa. Im always in Dynamic and Manual mode, shifts are fast and I really enjoy playing with the transmission. The car provides a very hard ride, but it is so well damped and solid that it all feels as if it is made of one piece...no fenders or cowl shaking around etc. For me she is plenty fast at 4.1sec 0-60, weighs only 2443lbs. Only 1k miles on her so far as she has been sitting all winter, that should end shortly.

For me its a 2nd/3rd car and really just a toy. My main driving is typical 2 lane country style roads, plenty of curves, hills etc. Not the best car if you are mainly doing highway driving imo. You should be able to get some serious $ off...Good Luck...
do u have both the vette and Alfa?
if yes what car u enjoy more?

i also got 2015 Alfa 4cLE
Old 03-24-2018, 10:22 AM
RAGS747
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NARIMAN
do u have both the vette and Alfa?
if yes what car u enjoy more?

i also got 2015 Alfa 4cLE
The Alfa much more. The Alfa driving experience is one where you become part or one with the car, the Vette I always felt that I was just kind of along for the ride. Manual steering is wonderful and the Alfa is just better damped than the Vette.

Every trip in the Alfa becomes a special occasion from the moment you squeeze yourself into the seat. Stereo is not great but its better than I thought it would be, Alpine. I find the DCT totally enjoyable, fast and playable although I still do have manuals in the house.

Overall to me it's just a much more enjoyable and involving driving experience. Hope to pick up a lightly used Giulia Quad as my daily once prices approach the $50k levels. What are your thoughts on yours?
Old 03-24-2018, 11:48 PM
NARIMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAGS747
The Alfa much more. The Alfa driving experience is one where you become part or one with the car, the Vette I always felt that I was just kind of along for the ride. Manual steering is wonderful and the Alfa is just better damped than the Vette.

Every trip in the Alfa becomes a special occasion from the moment you squeeze yourself into the seat. Stereo is not great but its better than I thought it would be, Alpine. I find the DCT totally enjoyable, fast and playable although I still do have manuals in the house.

Overall to me it's just a much more enjoyable and involving driving experience. Hope to pick up a lightly used Giulia Quad as my daily once prices approach the $50k levels. What are your thoughts on yours?
Old 03-25-2018, 10:52 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
remember the old parent co. mantra: "Fix It Again Tony"
Also know as and I am using polite verbiage here...

Friggin Italian Attempt at Transportation!
Old 03-27-2018, 11:58 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

I once read the 4C has a periodic maintenance requirement to have the chassis bolts torque checked every other year. I guess due to the carbon tub.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of getting an Alfa 4C Spider

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of getting an Alfa 4C Spider