Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

New Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 10:50 AM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 116 Posts

Default New Mustangs

I've been admiring the styling of the current models. Drove a V6 rental this past week, really liked it. Drove it in sport mode mostly, had plenty of power and good exhaust note.
How is the reliability? I'm at the age where I prefer that over the fun factor.
Is the Ecoboost version even worth considering? I'd like the mileage but still want to have some get up and go under the gas pedal.

Last edited by Blue Lion; 03-02-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:51 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,432 Likes on 2,797 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Lion
I've been admiring the styling of the current models. Drove a V6 rental this past week, really liked it. Drove it in sport mode mostly, had plenty of power and good exhaust note.
Is the Ecoboost version even worth considering? I'd like the mileage but still want to have some get up and go under the gas peddle.
Had several as rentals, Ford doesn't want to sell you a V6. The Ecoboost is OK, but I like the V6 more. But to get anything nice, you can't get the V6. The V6 got the same mileage as the turbo when I drove them.

Nice cars, comfortable and fun to drive. They're terrible Mustangs, but one of the best sporty coupes on the market.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:39 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I seriously looked at a V6/manual Stang as a DD, as FAUEE said Ford does not want to sell you one. The Ecoboost is not worth the extra money, the V6 is just as fast. If you want one buy it now, Ford is discontinuing the V6 at the end of the year.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:42 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Is the Ecoboost version even worth considering? I'd like the mileage but still want to have some get up and go under the gas peddle.
Last July I bought a 2016 Mustang GT with manual trans in the very slick color called Deep Impact Blue with only 1,300 miles on the clock, with the complete performance package (includes 3.73 gears and Recaro Seats from the factory) and LOVE the car. I have put on over 3,000 miles on it and it has been a blast and a 100% reliable.

Test drive ALL the models your interested in (I say get a slightly used mint low mileage GT like I did) and buy the model you like the best after test driving same and don't look back and best of luck to you! Here is a picture of my Stang next to a C7 Stingray and if I didn't know better I would say the Stang looks more bad azz and cooler than the Vette!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 02-26-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:42 AM
AnthonyGS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I've owned a lot of Mustangs over the years. Any Mustang since 11 with a Coyote 5.0 is a serious car. I'd get the v8 before the v6 or ecoboost any day. The sound alone is worth it. I often dream of a coyote powered Cobra kit but the $50k completed price tag always stops me. 50k is used Porsche 911 turbo territory or used ZR1 territory....
Old 02-26-2017, 11:10 AM
Kurac
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What's your budget? Base trim Coyote if you can swing it. Or wait for the '18 GT with the rumored A10. Finally a decent auto in a Stang...
Old 03-01-2017, 05:40 PM
Gnfanatic
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid $29000 for my 2017 GT PP, ruby red. love the car.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:25 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Fords are pretty rock solid these days. For reliability, I would opt for the 5.0 over the ecoboost.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks all. The Mustang I rented last week must have been a V6 as I have the 2.3 this week in a different rental and the power is noticeably different. Love the cars, just can't get past the lack of visibility over my left shoulder. If I bought the car I would have to get the blind spot monitoring system. So that limits me to the premium 4 or GT it appears. But love the car.

Last edited by Blue Lion; 03-02-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:09 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by The_Dude
Fords are pretty rock solid these days. For reliability, I would opt for the 5.0 over the ecoboost.
Thanks for your reply. I'm interested in overall reliability, like any repairs. I've driven Toyota and Lexus for years and I am beyond spoiled...as in 1 dome light cover falling out in 17 years total.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Blue Lion
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kurac
What's your budget? Base trim Coyote if you can swing it. Or wait for the '18 GT with the rumored A10. Finally a decent auto in a Stang...
I could swing whichever model I liked best. Of course saving $ on the purchase, or at the gas pump, is worth considering. I'm well past the days of needing to drive fast...but it's still fun right?
Old 03-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Ecoboost premium if you want to save some money. You will see some 15 MY lease returns on the market for cheap imo. I had a 15 gt perf pack premium for a couple years and had no intention on getting rid of it. But then the zr1 came along. I can buy another mustang anytime so i made the change
Old 03-03-2017, 11:40 AM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Thanks for your reply. I'm interested in overall reliability, like any repairs. I've driven Toyota and Lexus for years and I am beyond spoiled...as in 1 dome light cover falling out in 17 years total.
I live in a Ford family. Currently, we have 4 late model Fords. The only one that has needed any repairs beyond maintenance was an '04 Terminator that had been rode hard and put away wet. It developed a tick in the engine that turned out to be a bad wrist pin. Since we aren't the original owners, we don't know the cause, but there was evidence that the car had been run hard in the past. We have a pickup with a 5.0 as well, and it's been flawless.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:16 AM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Had several as rentals, Ford doesn't want to sell you a V6. The Ecoboost is OK, but I like the V6 more. But to get anything nice, you can't get the V6. The V6 got the same mileage as the turbo when I drove them.

Nice cars, comfortable and fun to drive. They're terrible Mustangs, but one of the best sporty coupes on the market.
Originally Posted by Patsgarage
I seriously looked at a V6/manual Stang as a DD, as FAUEE said Ford does not want to sell you one. The Ecoboost is not worth the extra money, the V6 is just as fast. If you want one buy it now, Ford is discontinuing the V6 at the end of the year.
HOW do youse KNOW Ford doesn't want to sell the V6? What is Ford's reason?
Old 03-07-2017, 03:16 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeceli
HOW do youse KNOW Ford doesn't want to sell the V6? What is Ford's reason?
Uh, I read the trade papers.

Get notified of new replies

To New Mustangs

Quick Reply: New Mustangs