Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Near perfect Clear Bra install. Long but w/ lots of pics

Old 02-20-2008, 11:31 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Near perfect Clear Bra install. Long but w/ lots of pics

I thought I would share with everyone my recent experience with a protective paint product called Venture Shield and the process involved with installing it to my satisfaction. I recently bought my second Vette, this one brand spanking new, and began to consider protecting it.

Let me start by saying I have always been hesitant to have any type of clear protective film installed for a few reasons.
1. The film is visible on the paint once installed (lines/ seams, and orange peel effect).
2. The film will discolor obscuring the paint beneath.
3. The film will not remove easily should I opt to get rid of it.

With that said I spent a lot of time researching online, looking at clear bras first hand and talking to both people that have the product and installers. From what I have learned and seen I decided it was time experience a clear bra install for myself.

The clear and obvious choice from the available products was “Venture Shield”. Not trying to knock anyone with a 3M product but the VS product is head and shoulders above the 3M. I have seen the two products applied to the same car side by side and the VS has considerably less peel effect (comparable to the peel effect Vette’s come with from the factory), and VS does not tint or discolor the paint it is being applied to. I have seen the 3M product darken, by a shade or two the paint on which it has been applied. Imagine you have a fender repainted for whatever reason and it does not match the doors or hood….that is how the 3M looked to me. Strictly my opinion, not being scientific here.

The visibility of the product being my biggest concern I decided to work with the installer I had chosen to minimize the appearance of the film. What does this mean? Well it means that on my hood and fenders I have a complete wrap done. VS is now made in sheets (58 inches) large enough to completely cover the C6 hood and fender. I also had the standard rocker panel pieces installed under the doors, the rear brake duct area covered and the nose covered with a couple of custom changes.

First the nose: This is a two-piece install and the most visible film on the entire car. Can you see it from 10 feet away? No. Can you see it if you walk up and look real close? Yes, but to minimize the visible lines the installer eliminated the cutouts for the nose badge and marker lights. The crossed flags are laid on top of the film and the film runs behind the side markers. The side marker lights were removed prior to installing the film. Very fast and easy to do.

Hood: This was relatively straightforward. One large sheet covering the entire hood. No seams! I dare anyone that does not know the car has been covered to spot it unless I point it out.

Front fenders: The fenders took the most amount of work. Originally we started with precut complete fenders. The precut pieces fit well around the headlights but the further back towards the vent and doors the film went the less ideal the fit became. The fenders took a lot of massaging and stretching to lay down. Once it was done they looked good but there were places were large edges were visible. Solution…redo the fenders again but this time instead of using a precut form, custom cut a sheet of film large enough to cover everything. This required the removal of the rear portion of the front inner wheel liner, the plastic vent inserts (Z06), and the side badges. Side badges were also removed for the original precut front fender film application. After a couple of hours the result was one fender completely covered with one, half-inch edge, visible only from a very close distance. The second fender only took an hour having learned some better techniques from doing the first. The second fender has absolutely no visible edges at all. It looks completely stock like the hood. Reinstall the removed parts (about 5-10 minutes) and you would never know the fender is covered. Again I dare anyone to spot it.

Prep:

Install:

Rockers: Very straight forward. Unless you get on your back and look under the car you will not see the film.

Rear Fender: Some have gone all out and covered large portions of the rear fenders, especially up and over the rear brake ducts. I opted for the standard rear brake duct kit. This kept the visible edge of the film to a minimum yet protects the hardest hit area of the rear fender. Should I see damage occur above the film I will reconsider and look at a more custom option.

Finished product:

I passed on the headlight, mirror, and windshield treatment. Mostly due to trying to minimize evidence of a clear film install on the car. The mirrors, and headlights at least to me stand out as having been covered. The windshield while it may save me a chip or more is a risk I’m willing to take at this point.

Overall considering how hesitant I was to have a clear bra product installed on my car I have to say I am extremely pleased and would not hesitate to do it again. In fact I’m looking at the possibility of having the entire hood on my wife’s GXP covered in one piece and it is much larger, and more complicated (similar to a C4 clamshell hood) than the Vette’s hood. This past Sunday on the cruise back from Longbeach I was pelted mercilessly at one point by sand kicked up from the road from the recent snow storms and took a mean shot right to the hood. Noticed it when I got home. If I hadn’t had the VS installed it would have taken some paint of the hood and left an eyesore that I would see every day. I would mention the installer by name but he is not a supporting vendor at present. If you are at all interested PM me and I will forward you his business contacts. He operates in the Western Washington area but has gone as far south as the Portland area. Having the right installer is key to getting the job done right! Not only is installer that did my car very good but his customer service is excellent. Willing and able to work with you in order to help meet your expectations.

Hope this has helped some of you that are considering protecting your car.

Last edited by NW94Z; 02-20-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:27 PM
boerio
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the VS product on my C5 Z06 and like it as well. You did a really nice job on yours!
Old 02-20-2008, 08:55 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I believe the same installer has worked on my car as well and would highly recomend him. One area I would suggest more protection on is the rear fender flare. My VS actually tapers past the centerline of the rear wheel. On the Z06 the front tire picks up a lot of material and shoots it straight back. Anything sticking out gets sand blasted. Get your eye against the front wheel and look back. My car was collecting numerous chips in this zone before I had this change made...

I have been using a two layer windshield protector. The first layer lasted around 8 months and I just removed it. I was amazed at how sandblasted it was! I am really happy the windshield was covered. Probably more important for tracked cars, but helpful for the street as well.

Dean
Old 02-20-2008, 09:50 PM
FASTOYZ
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

So has anyone put a clear bra on a car that already has a few nicks & chips. My car is an 01 & does have a few chips in the paint however it's not to bad, certainly not to the point it needs to be repainted. Would a clear bra highlight those imperfections.
By the way NW94Z your car looks flawless with the exception of that slobber trail I left on it at the longview gathering.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:55 PM
Lead Foot 66
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

Joe, That looks like an outstanding job. What does one need in the way of tools to remove the vent grills and front crossed flags? I may have to carry that stuff to KY I guess.

I'll have to look for a VS installer in the Bowling Green area.

I pick up my JSB Z in mid April and then will drive it back to WA. Looking forward to the trip but the wait it tough. It has a TPW of 3/3.

BTW, who do you recommend for window tinting? That I can have done here.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:03 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Nice, interesting report/review. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:00 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Lead Foot 66
Joe, That looks like an outstanding job. What does one need in the way of tools to remove the vent grills and front crossed flags? I may have to carry that stuff to KY I guess.

I'll have to look for a VS installer in the Bowling Green area.

I pick up my JSB Z in mid April and then will drive it back to WA. Looking forward to the trip but the wait it tough. It has a TPW of 3/3.

BTW, who do you recommend for window tinting? That I can have done here.
Hey Steve,

To get to the front vents you have to remove the back portion of the wheel liner. This takes a ratchet, 10 mm socket, 7 mm socket, and a flat head screwdriver. Once the liner is off the vent can be removed with a couple of flat head screwdrivers used in conjunction. There are tabs to depress to allow the vent to come off.

Don't know any good window tint installers. Haven't had tint installed in a very long time. 5 cars ago.

Congrats on the order. The more I see JSB the more I like it.

Originally Posted by FASTOYZ
So has anyone put a clear bra on a car that already has a few nicks & chips. My car is an 01 & does have a few chips in the paint however it's not to bad, certainly not to the point it needs to be repainted. Would a clear bra highlight those imperfections.
By the way NW94Z your car looks flawless with the exception of that slobber trail I left on it at the longview gathering.
Thanks for the compliment. Don't know how the VS would lay over existing chips. That's a question for someone with experience laying the stuff down.

Originally Posted by kentz06
I believe the same installer has worked on my car as well and would highly recomend him. One area I would suggest more protection on is the rear fender flare. My VS actually tapers past the centerline of the rear wheel. On the Z06 the front tire picks up a lot of material and shoots it straight back. Anything sticking out gets sand blasted. Get your eye against the front wheel and look back. My car was collecting numerous chips in this zone before I had this change made...

I have been using a two layer windshield protector. The first layer lasted around 8 months and I just removed it. I was amazed at how sandblasted it was! I am really happy the windshield was covered. Probably more important for tracked cars, but helpful for the street as well.

Dean
I'm going to try the wait and see approach with the area above the rear brake duct. As soon as I see a trend (more than a couple nicks, but less than say a half dozen), I'll try a different approach.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:31 AM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice write up, Matt @ Ultimate Auto Skin is the best!

The car looked great...I'm really glad you had it on last weekend....

PS: Your garage is nicer than my house!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:49 AM
Lead Foot 66
Drifting

Originally Posted by NW94Z
Hey Steve,

To get to the front vents you have to remove the back portion of the wheel liner. This takes a ratchet, 10 mm socket, 7 mm socket, and a flat head screwdriver. Once the liner is off the vent can be removed with a couple of flat head screwdrivers used in conjunction. There are tabs to depress to allow the vent to come off.

Don't know any good window tint installers. Haven't had tint installed in a very long time. 5 cars ago.

Congrats on the order. The more I see JSB the more I like it.
I'll see what I can do about taking tools on board the flight east. So far I have only found 3M installers around Bowling Green (2 were referred by the NCM). Still looking for VS near by.

Sounds like you all had a great time this last sunday...40 Vettes...Wow
Old 02-21-2008, 10:17 AM
NW_Vettes
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lead Foot 66
I'll see what I can do about taking tools on board the flight east. So far I have only found 3M installers around Bowling Green (2 were referred by the NCM). Still looking for VS near by.

Sounds like you all had a great time this last sunday...40 Vettes...Wow
They do have some temporary spay on protection you can buy at auto stores...it only last until you pressure wash but some have used this to get their cars home from Bowling Green. Also, Cleartastic is like clearbra but you can take it on and off.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:26 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It looks great! Matt is coming down to my shop to do the install on my car, along with maybe two other cars during a weekend. I am going to try to make a arraingment with Matt so he can use my shop for installs for the local people in and around SW Washington and NW Oregon.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:40 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tjwong
It looks great! Matt is coming down to my shop to do the install on my car, along with maybe two other cars during a weekend. I am going to try to make a arraingment with Matt so he can use my shop for installs for the local people in and around SW Washington and NW Oregon.
Very cool!!

Originally Posted by XC5VETTE
Nice write up, Matt @ Ultimate Auto Skin is the best!

The car looked great...I'm really glad you had it on last weekend....

PS: Your garage is nicer than my house!
My garage is my sanctuary. It's where I go if I get sent to the doghouse. All I need is a bed, microwave, and TV and I could live in there for months at a time.

Last edited by NW94Z; 02-21-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Rogue C6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tjwong
That would be cool. There is a place in Hillsboro that does Venture Shield, but I was not happy with the install.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Rogue C6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NW94Z
My garage is my sanctuary. It's where I go if I get sent to the doghouse. All I need is a bed, microwave, and TV and I could live in there for months at a time.
You need one of these:

Patrick
Old 02-22-2008, 03:11 AM
QU1NT
Instructor

^^^Clever picture, that's pretty funny
Old 02-22-2008, 10:36 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rogue C6
You need one of these:

Patrick
Just have to make sure I get it covered with VS so I don't ruin the finish getting in and out of bed.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:20 PM
leowiz
Burning Brakes

How much would it cost me to get it installed on my yellow C5. Would I have to do any prep work (clay bar and zyno) before it and will the surface look the same ?

Thanks,
Titus

Get notified of new replies

To Near perfect Clear Bra install. Long but w/ lots of pics

Old 02-25-2008, 01:36 PM
lftmdrm
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clear Bra

Joe
Would you send me the info on the guy that did your car?
Thanks
Don
Old 02-25-2008, 02:05 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by leowiz
How much would it cost me to get it installed on my yellow C5. Would I have to do any prep work (clay bar and zyno) before it and will the surface look the same ?

Thanks,
Titus
PM Sent

Originally Posted by lftmdrm
Joe
Would you send me the info on the guy that did your car?
Thanks
Don
PM Sent
Old 02-26-2008, 01:48 AM
Lead Foot 66
Drifting

Joe,

How hard is it to remove the emblem in front of the center are scoop? It looks like you removed most of the grills and emblems for the clear bra install.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Near perfect Clear Bra install. Long but w/ lots of pics