Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

What is it with these stupid birds?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Rogue C6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is it with these stupid birds?

What is it with these stupid birds in West Salem?

When I first had my home inspected a few years ago, I had a bird in the wood burning stove. The old owners put on a chimey cap and all is well.

Last year I kept hearing a noise at the front door. A sparrow was pecking at the brass kick plate. I had to cover it with painters tape to keep him away. I guess he was seeing his reflection and trying to fight him.

Now, I have been cleaning up bird poop on my patio deck. I heard a thunking sound this morning. I go to see a robin crashing into my living room window near the patio. This happened serveral times. There are marks where he was flying into it. I am not sure what to do about this one.

I sprayed my patio chair top rails with PAM to see if they would not be able to grip it. No luck there.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:46 PM
TAC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue C6
What is it with these stupid birds in West Salem?

When I first had my home inspected a few years ago, I had a bird in the wood burning stove. The old owners put on a chimey cap and all is well.

Last year I kept hearing a noise at the front door. A sparrow was pecking at the brass kick plate. I had to cover it with painters tape to keep him away. I guess he was seeing his reflection and trying to fight him.

Now, I have been cleaning up bird poop on my patio deck. I heard a thunking sound this morning. I go to see a robin crashing into my living room window near the patio. This happened serveral times. There are marks where he was flying into it. I am not sure what to do about this one.

I sprayed my patio chair top rails with PAM to see if they would not be able to grip it. No luck there.

I have a crazy robin every spring that continually crashes into my basement window and sliding door. I have been told it sees itself and is trying to hump itself. Sounds logical...I keep finding half built nests under the deck.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Rogue C6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TAC
I have a crazy robin every spring that continually crashes into my basement window and sliding door. I have been told it sees itself and is trying to hump itself. Sounds logical...I keep finding half built nests under the deck.

The only responces to this would get me in trouble. I think I will leave it alone.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:40 AM
gsport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this almost sounds like the birds on the windex commercials, flying into the windows with streak-free glass...
Old 07-01-2008, 08:32 AM
ZfidyONE-84
Melting Slicks

they like you patrick
Old 07-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Rogue C6
Melting Slicks

I need to put my dual halogen work light on the inside of the window. when comes back, throw on the light.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:29 AM
INGER67
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
St Jude Donor '15

I have freestanding wood stove in my basement that hasn't been used in years. I've been thinking about having it removed and going to an insert. Opened it up last week and there's a dead bird inside...it's a very small stove and looks like a pretty big bird. I'm having chimney caps installed and hopefully can get the guy to take the old stove away, along with the dead bird.

Also have atree by my front window that birds get into and then hit the window time after time as they try to get out. It's really annoying. I'm thinking of putting up signs....this way out of the tree!

Karen
Old 07-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Rogue C6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by INGER67
I have freestanding wood stove in my basement that hasn't been used in years. I've been thinking about having it removed and going to an insert. Opened it up last week and there's a dead bird inside...it's a very small stove and looks like a pretty big bird. I'm having chimney caps installed and hopefully can get the guy to take the old stove away, along with the dead bird.
Just have one last fire in there.

Originally Posted by INGER67
Also have atree by my front window that birds get into and then hit the window time after time as they try to get out. It's really annoying. I'm thinking of putting up signs....this way out of the tree!

Karen
I hear ya. The pea brains.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:00 AM
pro1955
Pro

We have lots of birds were we live, my neighbor hangs a couple cd's off his deck to keep the birds away.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:55 AM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rogue C6
Try waxing them with Rejex. The poop will slide right off.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Rogue C6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pro1955
We have lots of birds were we live, my neighbor hangs a couple cd's off his deck to keep the birds away.
I am going to try this. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Rogue C6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
Try waxing them with Rejex. The poop will slide right off.

Maybe NXT will work.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:24 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Hey Patrick, I have a solution that works great!

But it does require a 12 gauge loaded with birdshot
Old 07-01-2008, 01:55 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

We have windows that make up one corner of our house. The garage sticks out from the house near that corner. Birds will sit on the garage roof, and then try to zoom through the "tunnel" at the corner of the house... unfortunately the windows get in the way.

We've been in the house for 3 months, and we've had 4 bird strikes. 3 dead, 1 very, very stunned (required a drive to the local animal hospital).

I keep wanting to put something in those windows to make them at least think twice about cutting through, but my wife doesn't want to ruin the view. I'm guessing 1-2 more dead birds on our driveway, and she'll change her mind.

I guess it's just like those birds who zoom across the road at car height... right as cars are coming by. Bird x-treme flying!

Last edited by WAwatchnut; 07-01-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:23 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Patrick. I read that putting several of the spinning reflector wind chimes that spin and sparkle will help. Ken and I have a woodpecker that keeps trying to break into our chimney! As for the poop, the worse is after berry season when it is purple and stains everything! Good luck,see you Saturday.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Rogue C6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VIK TOY
Hey Patrick. I read that putting several of the spinning reflector wind chimes that spin and sparkle will help. Ken and I have a woodpecker that keeps trying to break into our chimney! As for the poop, the worse is after berry season when it is purple and stains everything! Good luck,see you Saturday.
I don't think it will work. I tried the CD idea above and it did not work. I think it is about the same idea.... shiny spinning things.

Get notified of new replies

To What is it with these stupid birds?

Quick Reply: What is it with these stupid birds?