Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

What a Trip!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:56 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default What a Trip!

I left my home in Twisp, WA this past Saturday morning at 0645 hrs en route to the ShoWare Center in Kent to attend my ex-wife's graduation from the Univ. of Phoenix with her MBA. Got to Wenatchee, WA with no issues and picked up some cabin air filters I ordered earlier last week from O'Rilley's Auto Parts. I left Wenatchee and headed west on Hwy 2 and I forget where it was but I was following a line of cars when a road killed coyote appeared from under the car ahead of me and all I could do was aim for the best angle to run over it. Put the head under the left tires and over we went. No damage, just a speed bump.

Wasn't long before I was on I-90 headed west and up over Snoqualmie Pass. Cleared the crest of the Cascades and down the west slopes I went. Once down off the foothills I was tooling along a little faster then traffic when I noted a MC coming onto the highway from an on ramp a 1/4 mile or so behind me in my rear view mirror. One had also exited at the off ramp just prior to this on ramp but this bike was bigger and had a fairing. A few miles later the bike is slowly working his way up through light traffic and as I pass another vehicle it pulls in behind me and I give it a little more gas to get around the vehicle I'm passing so I can move right and let the MC be on his way. Problem is the MC begins flashing red and blue lights in his fairing. WSP! I work my way over to the right hand break down lane and rolled down my window and shut the car off. Lic. Reg. and proof of insurance please after he informed me he had clocked me at 80 in a 70 mph zone. I quickly dug out my papers and handed him the 3 things he requested. He then informed me or asked me if he needed to return to his bike to fill out the citation or could he forgo said ticket and get back out on the road and to work. I said go work and he handed me my paper and zipped off down the break down lane to get up to freeway speed so he could merge in. As did I. I was stopped for less then 2 minutes.

I arrived in Kent and attended the graduation ceremony and high tailed it out of there as there were a lot of folks in attendance and only limited exits once everyone was ready to depart. Looked like a traffic jam waiting to happen to me. A few blocks from the Showare Ctr. I came across a chunk of plywood and some other lumber in the road which I successfully avoided leaving it for a MC that was following me. He also dodged the debris.

Once I finished visiting with my ex and her family in Issaquah I departed back to eastern WA via I-90 at 1845 hrs. I was approaching Cashmere along the 4 lane section of Hwy 2 that is divided by a concrete barrier in places doing 65 mph w/the cruise control set in the left lane when out of the blue leaps a large spike point Buck from over the cement lane barrier, landing right in the middle of my lane about 100 feet in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and the Michelin PS2's started to let me know they were in full stop mode when the buck lands he looks right at me and then bounds off over the right lane and beyond. Missed him by around 15 feet. Reminded me of a Road Runner cartoon where they freeze the bird and he glances at the camera and then returns to his full speed ahead stance. ZOOOM off he goes.

As dusk approached and darkness fell I turned off of Hwy 97 onto Hwy 153 up the Methow Valley. DEER CENTRAL, hate driving in the valley early morning and at night due to all the critters darting into traffic along this 39 mile section to Twisp where I live. Kept it around 50 mph and arrived home at 2200 hrs and was tired due to a long day and all the concentration it took to watch for the darn deer during this last segment of my days trip.

Car was plastered with bugs but this afternoon she got a bath and detail so she's ready to go to the 1/8th mile drag races up in Osoyoos BC this coming Sunday. Going with a local friend who has a 2004 C5 and a guy with a 1936 hotrod that he races there. Supposed to be a pretty fast coupe.

Anyone got an idea what 10 over in WA runs? Up in AK where I've spent the last 25 years it was $4.00 per mph up to 19 mph over plus a $10.00 sur-charge that funded LEO training. 20 mph and up it was mandatory court.

To be honest I was truly shocked that he let me go and basically wasn't what I expected. He was back on his bike and gone before I could even say thanks for the break. He didn't even run my lic or warrant status. Not how we did business where I worked in AK. The last 5 or so years before I retired our Chief of Police put out an order to all officers that citations "would" be issued on all traffic stops and at all accident investigations. PERIOD. If they weren't you'd be in his office explaining what circumstances overrode his order to issue a citation. If it warranted a stop, it warranted a ticket. As for accidents someone caused it and they should be cited accordingly. No more verbal warnings as that was not proving to be effective in reducing the traffic violations.

George
Old 06-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't know what the current ticket fees are but I am aware of the evening deer population in the Methow Valley.

A bunch of us used to make the Cascade loop from Everett over Stevens and come back over the North Cascades on our motorcycles each year. We always spent the night at the hotel in Carlton which is close to half way. They had good food at the Wishing Tree restaurant and bar which my friends Oscar & Terry Slinde use to own and adult beverages down at the store. This was before the restaurant was added to the hotel.

The deer were everywhere at night it seemed so any after dark power runs down the highway were with caution.

I haven't been around that way in years but it would be fun to make a similar run one of these days in the Vettes. The Corvette Marque Club of Seattle usually does the loop staying in Winthrop which has a bit more going on than downtown Carlton as you know. Most people don't even know they have driven through it.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:49 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I met up with the Marque Club members in Leavenworth last summer and drove with them up into the valley. They do the Cascade Loop every other year. They overnighted in Winthrop.

George
Old 06-09-2010, 05:30 AM
884fun
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received a 70 mph in a 60 mph zone ticket around Tacoma by WSP. I was in the middle lane and was being passed by a car in the left fast lane and on my right by a white Honda. My Arrest me Red Vette stood and got shot! The ticket was $74.00.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:48 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Fine for a speeding ticket where the posted speed is 40 or higher is $113 for 6-10 over the limit. 11-16 over is $144.

The WSP bike troopers do speed enforcement only. They usually don't respond to other events like accidents. It's some sort of federally-funded program and the feds pick up the cost of the program plus the BMW bikes. They run laser exclusively and they really like to hide by bridge abutments or around a corner. With their dark riding suits, it's really hard to see them.

You must have gotten real lucky with that guy. Every bike trooper I have seen in the Olympia area will have his ticket book with him when he's talking to a speeder. They can (and will) write tickets for <5 over if they think speed is a dangerous thing for the conditions at the time.

Get notified of new replies

To What a Trip!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What a Trip!