Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Appropriate Maintenance on Low Mileage C6

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 01:00 AM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Appropriate Maintenance on Low Mileage C6

I took my '07 C6 into the dealer for an annual service. I've had the car nearly 5 1/2 years now and have had only oil changes every year in keeping with the warranty requirements. I have a bit over 24K miles on it now.

I was beginning to wonder if it was time to do a bit more thorough maintenance, like change the air filter, replace some fluids, etc. The sort of things which seem to be more time-related than mileage-related. I looked though my owner's manual and, sure enough, there was a recommendation for coolant replacement and inspection/replacement of the air filter, in addition to the customary oil change.

When I arrived at the dealer and discussed my concerns, it was suggested I also have the diff lubricant replaced, brake fluid replaced and a few other things that the owner's manual would have one believe never required attention at all, unless a leak or other damage had occurred.

I reminded them that I had the diff lubricant changed at 10K owing to a click in the rear end. They agreed I was probably good for another 10K or so. The air filter was not changed and when I questioned them about that I was told it was checked and didn't require replacement.

Now, while I have no problem with changing fluids like brake fluid, coolant, etc after 5+ years, some of this stuff just seemed kind of unnecessary. Especially since the owner's manual seemed to imply some of these things were not required until well after 100K miles, if at all.

The bill was over $800, which got me to wondering if the service department was playing on my propensity to make everything perfect. If this had all been a $250 service, I wouldn't think twice about it, but $800? Short of doing the maintenance myself - not likely, given my cabilities and time constraints - I somehow think there is a better way to get this done.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-08-2012, 01:08 AM
jsbeller
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, which Stealership ripped you off for the 8 hundy?
Old 07-08-2012, 02:29 AM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Phil,

Check your PM's.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:40 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by jsbeller
So, which Stealership ripped you off for the 8 hundy?
I'd rather not say. At current shop labor rates it really doesn't take a lot to run up a hefty price tag. It was my (stupid?) decision to use the dealer and they did warn me that the amount was going to be around $600. I suspect any dealer performing the same amount of work (including unexpected repair of a rear tire) would have run about the same.

I was used to this sort of thing when I had Porsches, but at least used a great independent shop who gave great value for the money. Oddly enough I think there are more independent shops around here servicing Porsches than there are shops for Corvettes.

I have some ideas now that will hopefully allow me to avoid some of these costs in the future, but, really, I guess an $800 bill for 5+ years of wonderful driving isn't all that bad. It's not as though they did nothing for the money.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:23 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next time give me a call and we will do it. Only cost you time and materials. Air filter is miles, not time, 50K. While I won't do a coolant change everything else is fairly simple and does not take much time even doing it with jack stands.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:13 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Next time bring it to my place and we can get that all done for free labor plus parts. Same as TMyers, though he is closer to you.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:59 PM
ccj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whether you do it yourself or have a shop do it. Brake fluid change at 5 years, 24k is definitely in order.

Whether the diff fluid needed changing probably depends a lot on how/what you do with your car? Does it ever see regular auto X or track time? If it does figure once a year for diff. / tranny fluid.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:06 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

That's about what I paid when I bought my '03 Z and asked for "all fluids changed and all scheduled maintenence done". I had the same perspective - I felt the dealer did what I asked and charged the appropriate amount of time based on "the book" for the work. At the time, I was physically hurtin' and couldn't really get under the car.

I now do it myself every August in a couple of hours and for (obviously) a whole lot less. Having Race Ramps and 10" cribs helps a bunch.

Get notified of new replies

To Appropriate Maintenance on Low Mileage C6

Quick Reply: Appropriate Maintenance on Low Mileage C6