Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

My wife's "Luxury" C6

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 06:20 AM
884fun
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by 884fun; 11-02-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:40 AM
seattle
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 10-31-2013, 12:02 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

NICE but I wouldn't trade myC5 for it!!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:58 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Always wondered what those things looked like with the top down. Attractive car.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:42 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

aren't they more of a C5?

Funny, never see them in SoCal, but up here I see them all the time, even two of them at the small Boeing Plant I work at. For some reason the PNW took a liking to them...
Old 11-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

There's a black one in Sahalee too.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:34 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

That's kinda like saying a ZL1 is a cheap ZR1

The XLR is a great car in its own right but it belongs in the Caddy family. It's not close to being a luxury Corvette, it's a luxury Cadillac, and a great one.

I believe the ZR1 is a luxury Corvette

Great car, great color...thanks for sharing
Old 11-02-2013, 02:30 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 884fun
Yes I agree it is a Caddy which is hand built in Bowling Green Kentucky in a plant the also makes Corvettes.

The skin sits on a C6 Corvette frame, with Corvette suspension including Mag Ride. It took 8, 8 hour days to create one XLR. Aprox 19,500 were created from 2004 to 2009

The 2004 and 2005's were 4.6l 320 hp Northstar engines. In 2006
a supercharged 4.4l Northstar was added to the line creating 443 hp called the XLR-V. It too had a Mag Ride shock system but unlike the XLR, you can change the stiffness of the ride, just like you can in the Corvette.

The 2004 and 2005 have a suspension that's as stiff as a base 1LT Corvette. The draw back is no rear sway bar. But the 2006 to 2009 XLR-V's sway bars are direct bolt on. I installed one on her XLR. Sure made a difference.

I agree with you, the outer skin and the engine and the badges are Caddy but underneath that skin, it's a Corvette, made in the same plant as my 88 Corvette was created.
Now I know where the expression "it's the same only different" came from

To your point, you must think " Firebird is a luxury CAMARO"
Old 11-02-2013, 12:12 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

No, I just posted my wife's dream car for some of you to enjoy and I included a little history. I seem to remember there use to be an XLR section on this forum.

Think what you want, say what you will, knock me or the car all you want, it's still a nice Roadster with a good heart.

Its owners were invited to celebrate it's 10 year Homecoming by the Corvette Builder's Club from the Bowling Green Plant this past September and a good time was had by all.

I'm not knocking you, your wife or the car. I just don't subscribe to the idea that a GM chassis with two different bodies is the same car, just badged differently. I doubt you could enter an XLR at the Triple xxx all Corvette show, regardless how GM marketed your wife's car.

I apologize if you thought my post was directed at you personally. It was more how auto manufacturers PITCH their products and use manufacturing to reduce expenses while up selling.

VW is Audi is Lamborghini. Is a Lamborghini an R8 or vice versa. Is VW an Audi. So many of the parts are interchangeable, only the sheet metal and badging are different . Why spend all that money on an Audi when you can own a VW?

You won't find Audi dealers selling their cars as VW's, they are so much more.... Right?

Manufacturers can spin it anyway they want to make a sale... An XLR is a Corvette but with so much more, a luxury Corvette.

My philosophy is just take them as they're badged. To me, an XLR is a luxury Cadillac. And it's a hardtop convertible. That's not so bad

Here's the XLR forum link http://www.xlr-net.com/forums/

Old 11-02-2013, 03:00 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

I (and many more) feel the only reason to buy something other than a Vette is to 4 or more seats or haul gravel
Old 11-02-2013, 05:15 PM
INGER67
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
St Jude Donor '15

Don't see a picture (?) but I like them. Used to see a black one when I worked in Tigard. Come to think of, I've never seen any that weren't black. What color do you have?
Old 11-03-2013, 08:59 AM
884fun
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIK TOY
I (and many more) feel the only reason to buy something other than a Vette is to 4 or more seats or haul gravel
When I met you and Ken at the Oregon Bridge tour I thought you had more class than the above.

It's strange how people change when hiding behind a computer screen.

Have a great weekend.

BTW: FWIW, I like the color of your C5. I also thought Ken's Vette was one of the sharpest black Vettes I've seen.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:47 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

When I met you and Ken at the Oregon Bridge tour I thought you had more class than the above.

It's strange how people change when hiding behind a computer screen.

Have a great weekend.

BTW: FWIW, I like the color of your C5. I also thought Ken's Vette was one of the sharpest black Vettes I've seen.
Email is sometimes misunderstood. That's because you can't see the expression of the person you're communicating with, nor their body language. You can't hear the laughter in their voice. And sometimes it's hard to tell what post people are responding too.

That's why the forum provides emoticons. Members add smiles so hopefully you can get a feel for when someone is joking with you. Or, as in my post, I added cheers congratulating you on a great car. When you posted you thought there was an XLR forum but couldn't find it, as an act of camaraderie, it was provided for you.

Vic Toys post has a big smile emoticon?? I can't speak for her, but I took her post as just someone kidding around; an avid Corvette fan.

My apologies one more time! FWIW, this is a forum on the internet and you might be a little thin skinned (like I was) Once I started assuming everyone was a friend on the site, it was a lot more fun. Read every post as if your best friend is writing it. Just because someone can type doesn't make then a good writer

If you have a few more photos, post up. Many of us love XLR's and Cadillacs. My wife and I loved our CTS4. Wish Corvette would make a HT convert but I think too many owners worry about sacrificing the added weight for performance. I say let them buy a coupe if they want a performance model. A HT convertible would be cruisin' in style

You know Thunder Gray was only available one year, right?
Old 11-03-2013, 12:39 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Silly me, I thought they had a Vette engine in them. Still good engines.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_XLR"[/url]

And they use the later "Y" platform, same as every Vette since '84.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Y_platform"[/url]

On the net you need to be a bit thick skinned at times. Put your pics back up, they are nice cars and do share a lot with Corvettes.

Last edited by JETninja; 11-03-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:00 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by NofakeJake
Vic Toys post has a big smile emoticon?? I can't speak for her, but I took her post as just someone kidding around; an avid Corvette fan.
Bingo
Old 11-03-2013, 02:53 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Yes, I WAS kidding around
The Cadillac has "rave" reviews and I hope your wife enjoys it (and you)
Ken and I "are" rabid Vette fans, and I am about as excited about his new one as he is. I am hoping we get it before Christmas as a present for both of us!! The man buying his C6 is flying in next week and we have to rent a 4 seater to bring he and his son to our house. Even our beat up old truck is only a 2 seater.
In the meantime, he is driving my '02Z and remembering how to drive a stick!!
Old 11-03-2013, 05:20 PM
INGER67
Race Director

St Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by NofakeJake

Many of us love XLR's and Cadillacs. My wife and I loved our CTS4. Wish Corvette would make a HT convert but I think too many owners worry about sacrificing the added weight for performance. I say let them buy a coupe if they want a performance model. A HT convertible would be cruisin' in style
HT Corvette convertible would be amazing. I loved the glass top on my C6 coupe...add that to the convertible.....
perfection!!

Get notified of new replies

To My wife's "Luxury" C6

Old 11-04-2013, 12:36 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by INGER67
HT Corvette convertible would be amazing. I loved the glass top on my C6 coupe...add that to the convertible.....
perfection!!
My '62 had a removable HT and I loved it. Didn't even have a soft top for it. The removable top on the coupe is a good compromise !
Old 11-04-2013, 04:12 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VIK TOY
My '62 had a removable HT and I loved it. Didn't even have a soft top for it. The removable top on the coupe is a good compromise !
I had a 2000 FRC. Loved the lines and wished it would have had a removable option
Old 11-04-2013, 09:39 PM
INGER67
Race Director

St Jude Donor '15

Liked my C6 coupe but there are those days (and warm summer nights) when nothing but a convertible will do.

Quick Reply: My wife's "Luxury" C6