Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

PacNW Trackday Roll Call, Coordination and Track rats Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 06:59 PM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Glad you were able to get out! Mine is still in storage.
Get her our for a drive, those seals etc like oil and movement.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:51 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I was ready to get out this week, but more snow and cold starting tomorrow.

Spokane track used to be awesome with well organized events. Now the track does open events themselves and its just hard to get interested in.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:43 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
I was ready to get out this week, but more snow and cold starting tomorrow.

Spokane track used to be awesome with well organized events. Now the track does open events themselves and its just hard to get interested in.
Open as in open track day with no sessions? That's usually when I have the more fun : )
Old 02-03-2017, 10:49 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

They do a 20 minute free-for-all sessions. Drive what you brung. No tech inspection, few if any corner workers, no instruction for newbies. Result is propagation of ignorance. People lapping and have no idea about lines, brake markers, good lap times, etc.

With 10 years running sport bikes at track days and races I am familiar with properly run events.Yes, open sessions are great for people who know what they are doing.

Last edited by djnice; 02-16-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:26 PM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
....... Result is propagation of ignorance. People lapping and have no idea about lines, brake markers, good lap times, etc.
LOL, sounds like most peoples daily commutes to work.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:31 PM
danh52
Racer

Hey X25, nice seeing you here. I sold you the harness bar for your Camaro a while back. I assume you sold it for the Vette? Are you going to track it or stick with the Miata?

I bought a track prepped C5 last spring but lunched the clutch the first track day in May so that ended my summer. I didn't get through the new clutch break in completed until late Aug so won't know how the C5 is on track until the upcoming season. I still have to decide what tires to get and I have new seats ordered so they need to be installed too.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:13 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by danh52
Hey X25, nice seeing you here. I sold you the harness bar for your Camaro a while back. I assume you sold it for the Vette? Are you going to track it or stick with the Miata?

I bought a track prepped C5 last spring but lunched the clutch the first track day in May so that ended my summer. I didn't get through the new clutch break in completed until late Aug so won't know how the C5 is on track until the upcoming season. I still have to decide what tires to get and I have new seats ordered so they need to be installed too.
Hey there, nice seeing you here, too! Yep, I ended up selling the Camaro, and I gave most of the parts locally to another Camaro guy, who would like to attend track days, too.

Since then, I also got a Corvette and prepped it for track use:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ack-build.html

My brother attended track days with a C5Z back when we owned one. It was a very solid performer, but I would invest in cooling (rad, oil cooler?), and would also replace the control arms (they are cheap and are usually worn out by now), as well as the shocks (again, very cheap). Actually, installing GM's C5 T1 suspension kit might solve most of these possible issues, and make it a monster handler.

In the meantime, I'll be working on extending my coilover shock body length to reduce the amount of preload I need to set my height on my Corvette.

Have fun, and hope to see you around!
Old 02-03-2017, 05:57 PM
danh52
Racer

The mod list is long on this car. Engine, trans and rear coolers, sway bars, shocks, poly bushings, LS3 with long tubes, cam and LT1 twin disk clutch and other misc small stuff. I have a second set of ZO6 wheels so I plan on going to rears at all 4 corners with NT01 tires in 275/305 sizing. Still on stock brakes with better pads, something I might change after I get a few days under my belt. I'm at 3200 lbs with 1/2 a tank and 430 WHP, really way more power than needed but tons of fun.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:16 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

The mod list is long on this car. Engine, trans and rear coolers, sway bars, shocks, poly bushings, LS3 with long tubes, cam and LT1 twin disk clutch and other misc small stuff. I have a second set of ZO6 wheels so I plan on going to rears at all 4 corners with NT01 tires in 275/305 sizing. Still on stock brakes with better pads, something I might change after I get a few days under my belt. I'm at 3200 lbs with 1/2 a tank and 430 WHP, really way more power than needed but tons of fun.
Wow, sounds like a great setup. Have fun and looking forward to seeing you around!
Old 02-16-2017, 01:19 PM
nskyline34
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Satin white C5 Z06 reporting from Marysville/Arlington area.

Raced Karts for years, grabbed my C5Z a couple years ago for fun, then someone talked me into taking it to the track, now it barely sees street use.
Car has done a few standing mile races and 1.5 mile races. Ran 192 without too much effort. Hopefully going back in April of '18 to get my 200mph hat (worlds most expensive damn hats!)

So far only been running at Pacific, but I've got some days planned for The Ridge and Portland as well for the 2017 season.

Best at Pacific so far is a 1:39 - not fast, but very pleased with it for always keeping the car under 5500 rpm. (trying to manage oil temps) Trying to work on being smooth..

Also car will be used for open road racing in 2018 as well, just like to experience anything fast.

Still chasing the sensation I got from racing shifter karts, so likely going back to open wheeled cars in the next year or so... Still trying to find out how I will afford 2 racecars basically...but life wouldnt be fun if it wasnt a challenge!

Looking forward to meeting some people at the track to BS and talk about American s***!
Old 02-18-2017, 03:48 PM
danh52
Racer

I need to get a new helmet before the season starts, does anyone know of a place I can try helmets on that is located in the Portland metro area?

Arai and HJC helmets fit me best, the one I am replacing is a Gforce but it never fit that great so I don't want another one of those. I like the looks and price of the Zamp carbon but I've heard they fit round heads better than oval which isn't good as my head is more oval.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:07 PM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Thinking of March 4th at the Ridge, weather permitting. Anyone?

Need an easy day driving the new car in a socially responsible manner before heading to Lost Wages, Spring Mt in March.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:38 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kamran
Thinking of March 4th at the Ridge, weather permitting. Anyone?

Need an easy day driving the new car in a socially responsible manner before heading to Lost Wages, Spring Mt in March.
I'm also keeping an eye for that day. It currently shows snow, so I'm not yet sure if we'll even have the event : )
Old 02-19-2017, 12:37 AM
Kamran
Pro

Originally Posted by X25
I'm also keeping an eye for that day. It currently shows snow, so I'm not yet sure if we'll even have the event : )
I really need to get my feet wet before I head south. I just bought some R7 scrubs that I've been keeping in the utility room to stay warm, and I was hoping to get them out of the house soon since they are stinking my house like it's a gas station. Got them wrapped in plastic bag and everything, but I was planning on mounting them by April.

Last edited by Kamran; 02-19-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:53 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 166 Posts

I need to get a new helmet before the season starts, does anyone know of a place I can try helmets on that is located in the Portland metro area?

Arai and HJC helmets fit me best, the one I am replacing is a Gforce but it never fit that great so I don't want another one of those. I like the looks and price of the Zamp carbon but I've heard they fit round heads better than oval which isn't good as my head is more oval.
For Arai, any motorcycle shop will have them...
Old 02-19-2017, 04:09 PM
Kamran
Pro

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
For Arai, any motorcycle shop will have them...
Be careful, Arai motorcycle helmet devision makes helmet for three different head shapes (several models, but three basic head fitment shapes). That's just motorcycle. Not a direct translation to auto.

Many online vendors allow you to send the helmet back for a swap for a different size or model. If you buy online, make sure they honor that.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:16 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 166 Posts

Be careful, Arai motorcycle helmet devision makes helmet for three different head shapes (several models, but three basic head fitment shapes). That's just motorcycle. Not a direct translation to auto.

Many online vendors allow you to send the helmet back for a swap for a different size or model. If you buy online, make sure they honor that.
A few years ago, I purchased an Arai Corsair V motorcycle helmet for street riding, had it custom painted, etc. It was an SA 2005 so had to be replaced. I sold the bike as there are way too many homicidal drivers around here. It's amazing, the number of people driving around here that literally just do not give a crap. I purchased a car version Arai GP-5, and it fir fine. A little more snug, but then the foam is brand new. The nice thing for me is I can comfortably wear this helmet all day, and yet it fits properly. If you've never had a properly fitted helmet, you should have one done so you know what to look for and what it feels like. This is very important. The Arai dealership, basically at motorcycle shops, are supposed to have people on staff that have been trained and instructed on fitting Arai helmets. I went to Cycle Barn in Lynnwood to get my first Arai.

YMMV

Get notified of new replies

To PacNW Trackday Roll Call, Coordination and Track rats Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 10:03 PM
Kamran
Pro

Just got an email from ACCO for a trackday at ORP on April 1 (not a fools joke). Their ORP track fee is $140, rain or shine. Very tempting...!
Old 02-24-2017, 12:52 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Just got an email from ACCO for a trackday at ORP on April 1 (not a fools joke). Their ORP track fee is $140, rain or shine. Very tempting...!
They do need at least 45 attendies, though, or else they cancel it. I'm so used to doing ORP track days with 5-10 cars with the club : p

Still, it's tempting with the $140 fee!
Old 02-24-2017, 01:34 PM
Kamran
Pro

They are a very good group. Last time there, last year, there were a bunch of C7's.
The drive back home is the biggest turn off for me.

Quick Reply: PacNW Trackday Roll Call, Coordination and Track rats Thread