Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

The 2015 Mustang

Old 01-15-2014, 07:16 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default The 2015 Mustang

A friend of mine dropped by the other day and asked if I'd seen the newly introduced 2015 Mustang. Figuring it would be just more of the same, I decided to get on the web and have a look.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...-up-close.html

At first peek my reaction was that there were some Corvette styling cues and wondered if Ford was chasing the C7. Then I realized that the Mustang is actually competing with the Camaro.

Since this is a forum and not a promotion for the new Ford I was just wondering what y'all thought? I rather like what I see, but not enough to get me out of my Corvette. On the other hand, it looks to be a formidable competitor for the Camaro (new taillights notwithstanding)

To my mind - and as a former Mustang GT owner - I tend to lean toward the new Ford, but the styling kinda' makes me wonder if there's any chance this new model might take away a few potential Corvette C7 sales?

Just sayin'
Old 01-15-2014, 11:21 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Pick up the latest Car & Driver, some great info from the team and brass behind the 2015 Mustang. One quote - nothing was sacred, clean sheet. Things I'm waiting to see, forward/aft weight balance and weight.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:00 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not a fan. Camaro is much nicer (but then I am not a Ford lover)
Old 01-16-2014, 01:42 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by VIK TOY
I couldn't agree more. Never was a Ford fan although I rented a Fusion a few months ago and it seemed like a nice enough car and all. My dad always bought GM and I guess that stuck with me.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:57 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Alan Muhlally was on CNBC at 5:30 AM a week ago with a new Mustang and mentioned the shark like appearance of the front.

Definitely sounded like he was trying to chase more than pony's
Old 01-16-2014, 06:02 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VIK TOY
I just can't warm up to the Camaro. That's not to say I don't like them as a brand or model, especially the '69 and '70 Z-28. The new model just doesn't do much for me, though I think the taillight change in the latest model is a good thing. I just feel like I'm sitting in a cave when I sit in one. I confess I've not driven one yet, but don't plan to either. Of the 3 current retro pony cars, I confess the Challenger is more to my taste, but I don;t want one of those either.

I've had one Mustang, a 97 GT 5.0 and I liked it. Great road car, decent performance, but really lousy trade-in value. Of course, relatively speaking one might say the same for the Corvette. I figure my '07 C6 may be worth only about $25K, maybe less.

This new Mustang I find more interesting than the models of the last few years. That's mostly subjective though so I can appreciate why we all don't necessarily agree.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:47 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by last901
I've had one Mustang, a 97 GT 5.0 and I liked it. Great road car, decent performance, but really lousy trade-in value. Of course, relatively speaking one might say the same for the Corvette. I figure my '07 C6 may be worth only about $25K, maybe less.
Before I bought my Z06, I had bought - brand new - a 2006 Mustang. Less than a year old, I couldn't GIVE the Mustang away. And this with less than 13K on the clock. I finally ended up taking a 2K loss on it just to get rid of it
Old 01-16-2014, 07:52 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Before I bought my Z06, I had bought - brand new - a 2006 Mustang. Less than a year old, I couldn't GIVE the Mustang away. And this with less than 13K on the clock. I finally ended up taking a 2K loss on it just to get rid of it
Yep, I understand perfectly. It's the nature of the car business. For the most part these dealers are businessmen (or women) and not necessarily
car enthusiasts like most of us. I could go on for far longer than you'd care to read on my experiences in the business.

I'm probably safe in saying that most domestic - well any - car dealers are in it to make a profit. It's the American Way, right? They pay what they are charged from Ford. Chevy, et al for a given new automobile - and I'm not going to get into things like holdback, dealer incentives, rebates and all that - and so need to sell it at a profit in order to stay in business. Gee, imagine that. Being a forum for a bunch or car guys, I'm sure hope I don't sound condescending.

Unlike new car inventory, used cars, like incoming trades, need to be evaluated on current market value, based on things like the Kelly Blue Book, but more often on current wholesale auction results (no not Barrett-Jackson) which are readily available to them via various websites and services.

Allow me to take a side road here, because I only recently was treated to a demonstration by a good friend of money who happens to be in the car business. At the time I was trying to sell my sister's VW and went to my friend to see if he wanted to take it on consignment, but more importantly, to try and understand what her car might be worth, both to a dealer and to the public at large.

What he showed me was amazing. Wit just a few keystrokes he was able to show me every listing within 5 states for a car like my sister's, how long it had been on the market, how long it took to sell, sale price and a great amount of information to help determine what the market might bear for any given car. Believe me, those little yellow NADA books we all used to dread when the sales people pulled them out are pretty much obsolete, though they can be useful to sales people when the situation demands.

My point here is that any car you wish to trade in on a new car from the local dealer, is not necessarily worth what the KBB or the NADA books tells you. Don;t forget - for those of you who watch "Pawn Stars" that your car will need some reconditioning, or at least a good detailing before the dealer can put it on their lot.

I'm rambling on far too long, but I feel it's important to anyone who decides to trade-in a car on another one, whether new or used, should remember this is a business and any given dealer is going to try to sell you a new/used car at a price that makes you satisfied while allowing you a fair price for your trade-in based on current market conditions and any work that needs to be done.

Any new car - almost without exception, is going to take the greatest amount of depreciation in the first one or two years. No mystery there i'm sure. So, yes, I'm not surprised that a one or two year old car, especially one that was bought with a 60 or 72 month finance contract regardless of interest rate is rarely worth what you think it is.

That's not a bad thing necessarily, just something to keep in mind when you're out shopping.

Does any of this make sense?

Last edited by last901; 01-16-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:22 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Except for the C6 Z06, not many stand out cars in '06.

Mustangs like all "Muscle Cars" have been nose heavy, though the last 4 years they really made them handle way better than they should. The Camaro never handled good until it got the Gen 3 Electro-Magnetic shocks (those can make anything handle almost).

Nice thing about Mustangs is they weigh a few hundred less (Camaro - 3800lbs) to many hundreds less (Challenger - 4200lbs) than the other so called Pony cars.

The new one should be interesting, by going to IRS in the back, they had to improve the front also, plus they gave room for bigger brakes all around. Some nice engineering is showing in it, but till the final numbers are out I'm holding judgement.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:42 PM
young grasshopper
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd drive it, though I'm interested in hearing how much lighter it will be than the previous generation.

I test drove the new focus ST a month or so ago.... It's quite the car.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:39 PM
85corvettec4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they auctioned the first 2015 mustang off at barrett jackson this weekend for like $340,000 all the proceeds went to the american youth diabetes research center
Old 01-20-2014, 06:28 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 85corvettec4
they auctioned the first 2015 mustang off at barrett jackson this weekend for like $340,000 all the proceeds went to the american youth diabetes research center
I hate to say this, but for some reason the B-J auction often turns me off. While it's interesting to watch the cars go across the ramp and get some authoritative and sometimes critical evaluations, for some reason I feel a sort of sleaziness about the whole thing (for lack of a better term). The charity bidding is interesting and probably an honorable thing to do, but who is bidding these things up to such stratospheric prices? Yes, there are celebrities present at every broadcast, but most of the people on the ramp seem like they just want to be seen on TV (sorry, Mark, I'm not accusing you and Ian as wannabe famous). The whole atmosphere seems so tacky and overdone compared to auctions like Bonham's and even Mecum (which is being broadcast on the Esquire channel). Is it the screaming or hanky waving "ambassadors" or the guy with the sunglasses (yes, I know he has an eye condition). Sometimes I detect that some cars don't remain on the ramp as long as they might, when compared to others.

Who knows? Maybe I'm simply subliminally upset over having owned cars at one time that are now bringing enough to send both my granddaughters to Harvard or Stanford. Don't know

Admittedly, I watch the auction as often as I can between my wife's reruns of NCIS and I confess it's a guilty pleasure I harbor. I don't know what it is, but sometimes after watching the auction I feel like taking a shower.

Is it just me or does anyone else get the same feeling? I probably shouldn't have even bothered to drone on over this, but it is a forum after all.

Just sayin'

I need to get a job

Last edited by last901; 01-20-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:58 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by last901

I don't know what it is, but sometimes after watching the auction I feel like taking a shower.

Is it just me or does anyone else get the same feeling? I probably shouldn't have even bothered to drone on over this, but it is a forum after all.
I feel the same way. I quit watching BJ a few years ago, but really enjoy Mecum. (Dunno why they left Velocity, but wish they hadn't). I can't stand Steve with his sunglasses for whatever reason he wears them, and the whole flavor of BJ seemed to change when Craig Jackson gave him the reins. The cars are overpriced and the whole thing seems to be the automotive version of the Mustang Ranch.

With the availability of other auctions, I do not miss watching BJ. JMHO

Get notified of new replies

To The 2015 Mustang

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The 2015 Mustang