Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

GTG Saturday August 9

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 03:55 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

As this event grows closer my plans are in flux due to fire conditions in the Methow Valley. Yesterday we had a veh. towing a trailer loose a tire and when they pulled over they started a new wild land fire about 2 miles north of Twisp on the west side of Hwy 20. Luckily the prevailing wind was from the southeast so it blew up through the Twin Lakes subdivision towards Winthrop and grew far faster then crews could react. It was all law enforcement & National Guard could do to stay ahead of it giving Level 3 evacuation notices to those in the line of fire. At a couple times late afternoon law enforcement was in danger of getting trapped above the fire with their exit route blocked by fire due to only one road to access the area they were in to give evac. notices. Eventually they moved north of Winthrop and began giving Level 2 notices up there.

Finally enough air power was thrown at the leading edge to slow it down. At one point we could see up to 7 aircraft either attacking or orbiting our home waiting to go in and drop water or retardant on the monster. Had a large 4 prop bomber, a Chinook and Sky Crane helos, several med size Bell helos, handful of the Canadian water scooper bombers all in the mix.

So with that said my attendance next Sat is pending on what the fire status is both here at home and south of Lake Wenatchee that effects my ability to transit Stevens Pass on Hwy 2 to get home. I'll likely go over the NCH to get there but need to hook up with Sally and her mother who will be flying in to E. WEN Sat. evening for dinner down there. Or that's my plan anyway. I suppose I could always skip dinner in WEN and come home over Hwy 20 vs. Hwy 2.

So we'll see, I may appear for your GTG and I may not.

George
Twisp, WA
Old 08-02-2014, 11:37 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hang in there George...clearly you have your hands full. You have the address, join us if you can.

If not, then we'll hopefully see you in Leavenworth.

Originally Posted by George's_Vette
As this event grows closer my plans are in flux due to fire conditions in the Methow Valley. Yesterday we had a veh. towing a trailer loose a tire and when they pulled over they started a new wild land fire about 2 miles north of Twisp on the west side of Hwy 20. Luckily the prevailing wind was from the southeast so it blew up through the Twin Lakes subdivision towards Winthrop and grew far faster then crews could react. It was all law enforcement & National Guard could do to stay ahead of it giving Level 3 evacuation notices to those in the line of fire. At a couple times late afternoon law enforcement was in danger of getting trapped above the fire with their exit route blocked by fire due to only one road to access the area they were in to give evac. notices. Eventually they moved north of Winthrop and began giving Level 2 notices up there.

Finally enough air power was thrown at the leading edge to slow it down. At one point we could see up to 7 aircraft either attacking or orbiting our home waiting to go in and drop water or retardant on the monster. Had a large 4 prop bomber, a Chinook and Sky Crane helos, several med size Bell helos, handful of the Canadian water scooper bombers all in the mix.

So with that said my attendance next Sat is pending on what the fire status is both here at home and south of Lake Wenatchee that effects my ability to transit Stevens Pass on Hwy 2 to get home. I'll likely go over the NCH to get there but need to hook up with Sally and her mother who will be flying in to E. WEN Sat. evening for dinner down there. Or that's my plan anyway. I suppose I could always skip dinner in WEN and come home over Hwy 20 vs. Hwy 2.

So we'll see, I may appear for your GTG and I may not.

George
Twisp, WA
Old 08-06-2014, 12:41 AM
AYello1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK...I've been working overtime on the honey-do list lately, so the warden says I can have the day off this Saturday. So that means.. I'M IN! I'll bring some chips, veggies & dip. All I need is an address!
Paul S.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:02 PM
fperra
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just an FYI for everyone driving a C5 or C6 using the stock nav. It won't get you there so use a Garmin nav or google.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:07 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Thanks Fred!

This is my C-6 Corvette Surprised Face. NOT! Will bring my reliable Garmin this weekend. You would think after buying a C-7 GM would add Walter's house to their GPS Map for friends to find. Maybe in the next version update.

See you Saturday at Walters.

George

Last edited by George's_Vette; 08-06-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:41 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Okay, okay...

The boat floated last weekend and even got some TV coverage. We still need to fix some things, but since we're not taking it to San Diego or Qatar (thank Allah) it looks like Mary and I will make it. Might even drive the C6 Aero Lightweight (one of 42) if it doesn't rain and the streets to Chez Hein are still paved with gold.

Mary says she'll bring a chopped salad. (or at least that which might remain after our lunch at Cucina! Cucina!)

Here's some videos of the Seafair weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdZO...ature=youtu.be

http://thunderboats.ning.com/video/blue-blaster-reborn

http://thunderboats.ning.com/video/a...ater-once-more

A special - and well-earned shout out to our fellow forum member, Keith McGowan (KMoldcars) for a lot of hours and great work replicating Muncey's seat and helping with the painting and detailing on the hull. No kidding; despite my yelling at him a lot he really does great work. He should have been with us to share in the celebration on Friday.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:51 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Phil:

You got any Hydro Museum hats you can bring this Saturday to Walters? I'd love to buy one from you.

Anyone on the west side want some wild land fire so I can bring lots as we have plenty to spare over here.

George
Old 08-06-2014, 08:06 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by George's_Vette
Phil:

You got any Hydro Museum hats you can bring this Saturday to Walters? I'd love to buy one from you.

Anyone on the west side want some wild land fire so I can bring lots as we have plenty to spare over here.

George
George,

Arguably, whatever hats we had in stock (like the Miss Wahoo, and the Green Dragon) were sold out between Seafair and Tri-Cities. you can check out the Mueum Store http://www.thunderboatstore.org/ to see if there's anything there that might appeal, but I see Ken and the store crew must have edited the store page to reflect what we have left.

If you see anything that appeals, left me know, but there isn't a lot left.

Very sorry.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:27 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fperra
Just an FYI for everyone driving a C5 or C6 using the stock nav. It won't get you there so use a Garmin nav or google.
If it won't recognize the actual address my C6 would take a close number like 14600 and that will get you within throwing distance.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 AM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by XC6VETTE
I'd like to host a GTG at the new house.

A few additional folding chairs would be helpful!

Pizza will be served. Please feel free to bring a salad, dessert, or appetizer.

I'll have a variety of beer available. if you want something specific bring whatcha want.

Time: Noon
Place: Snohomish, near Echo Lake. Please RSVP for address.
Parking: Primarily along 235th...wide dead end street so not to worry.
Room for a few in cul de sac.

Please let me know if you're interested and I'll PM directions.
Dbassd - Joel & Katie
George's_Vette - George (Dessert)
Seattle - Bruno & Gail (Confirmed)
NW94Z - Joe
Grim Reaper - Jeff & Dana?
last901 - Phil & Mary (Left over chopped salad)
Mr. Peabody - Mark, Ian and Anita
Red Racer - Joe (Confirmed)
ErikwithAK01 - Erik
Seattle C4 - Ken
Seapar - Peter & Joy
Fperra - Fred & Connie (Compressed Watermelon)
AaronZ51 - Aaron & Jen? (Confirmed)
Ayellow1 - Paul - (Appetizers)
Joe & Patti - (Salad)
Phil & Gail (Confirmed)
Chris & Vicki - (Salad or appetizer)
Steve & Diana

Walter
Poodle Girls Dad
How personally embarrassing. Mary tells me now it's not left over salad.

Maybe we'll bring day-old sushi with some sun-dried mayonnaise dipping sauce. Yum!
Old 08-07-2014, 11:57 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Received 739 Likes on 334 Posts

I regret to inform you that I will not be able to make it replacing my fence and this weekend happens to be the only time I can get someones help doing it :/
Old 08-07-2014, 03:31 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Maybe next time, thanks for letting me know.

Originally Posted by ErikwithAK01
I regret to inform you that I will not be able to make it replacing my fence and this weekend happens to be the only time I can get someones help doing it :/
Old 08-07-2014, 08:58 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Default Mufflerbearing

Talked to Pat....he'll be bringing the big bad AMG Merc Vagon.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Grim Reaper
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19

Looks like I won't have to work this weekend so Donna & I should be there. May need directions though
Old 08-07-2014, 11:15 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

I will be there and will bring a dessert. Keith
Old 08-08-2014, 01:45 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Default Add one more to the group.

I will be bringing a new Corvette owner along with me, Riversidedan1, who has a very nice 1992 Dark Red Metallic coupe. I have given him your address but he will most likely drive up with me.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
I will be bringing a new Corvette owner along with me, Riversidedan1, who has a very nice 1992 Dark Red Metallic coupe. I have given him your address but he will most likely drive up with me.
Keith, any chance that you will bring up the supercharged C4? Would love to see it.

Get notified of new replies

To GTG Saturday August 9

Old 08-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Only if I do not have to wash it first. I will bring it. It should make it. After all, I drove it home from Idaho. Perhaps someone with good hearing and some knowledge could listen to it. There is a whine coming from somewhere in the front. It may be the supercharger needs new bearings.
On another subject, riversidedan1 will not be coming. He just got called to work tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:09 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Anybody going to E@RTC first on the way to the GTG?
Old 08-08-2014, 09:11 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by XC6VETTE
Talked to Pat....he'll be bringing the big bad AMG Merc Vagon.
Well, there goes 3 parking spots. At least we can all sit inside it if it rains.

Sorry, Pat, only the truly envious can sometimes sound like cretins. BTW, what's the towing capacity? We may need to become closer friends now that the boat is finished and we're getting inquires from Detroit and other cities asking if we can bring it to their next event. We seem to have a shortage of reliable vehicles with a 7K lb towing capacity.

We can talk tomorrow...

Quick Reply: GTG Saturday August 9