Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Fall Colors Tour

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:28 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator
Default Fall Colors Tour

Now, I don't know if any of you are members of the PNW Audi Club, when I saw Rush last year at an event they were hosting, I have always gotten their event and club news ever since. (Wife does own an Audi, but they don't know that)

Anyways, they sent me this cool sounding tour, you don't have to own an Audi to do the tour (or any of their events that I've seen)

The Cascades Autumn Colors Tour, scheduled for Saturday, Oct 18, 2014, will highlight the fall colors in the Cascade Mountains. The event will be a relaxing and fun driving day in a social environment, filled with many opportunities to photograph and enjoy the colorful forests, lakes, meadows, rivers, and waterfalls of the Cascades.

Beginning in Monroe and ending in Cle Elum, this Tour will follow a 235 mile / 8 hour route through the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie and Wenatchee National Forests, over Stevens, Blewett, and finally, Snoqualmie Passes. Late Sept and early Oct are prime time for fall colors, and the route goes through areas of cottonwood, maple, mountain ash, and yellow aspen trees. The drive includes some lesser-known and little used twisty and colorful roads near Leavenworth and/or Cle Elum. This event will include a BYOF (bring your own food) lunch in a beautiful fall setting. Drivers may depart the tour anywhere along the route.

You do NOT have to own an Audi to attend this event.

The Tour will meet 8:00am Saturday Oct 18, in the Rite Aid parking lot, in Monroe, WA. Rite Aid is located at 18906 Highway 2. The store is across the street from a Denny’s for those who want to arrive early and have breakfast. Look for a bright yellow Hyundai Tiburon in the parking lot, and event leader Mark Yonker. Please arrive with a full tank of gas.

After a drivers meeting at 8:10am, the tour departs Monroe by 8:30am, and heads east through Monroe, to Ben Howard Road, a 16 mile scenic twisty drive, over hill and dale, ending in Sultan. From Sultan, the drive follows Hwy 2 East over Stevens Pass. Descending after crossing the pass, the drive turns north onto Hwy 207 from Coles Corner to Lake Wenatchee State Park. Here the group will stop for an early lunch around 11:00am.

The picnic area at the park is on the waterfront, with spectacular vistas. Lake Wenatchee State Park requires either a 10.00 day fee or a discover pass. (You may purchase a discover pass online for 30.00 for one year from purchase date.) Drivers will be asked to pay the $10.00 state park fee at the drivers meeting, so the event leader can expedite all the vehicles entering the park.

After lunch, the tour will follow 1 or 2 different roads highlighting fall colors, lakes, rivers, waterfalls, and meadows. Forest Road 65 and/or White River Road [please note both these roads dead end in the mountains, and we will do a U-turn back to the main highway], will eventually take the group to Chumstick highway (Old highway 209). This highway, with a very challenging hill climb just past Plain, goes through Chumstick and ends in Leavenworth on Hwy 2.

Upon arriving in Leavenworth about 2:00 pm drivers have the option of continuing on the tour, or staying in and enjoying the Leavenworth area, or returning home from this point of the tour if desired.

Departing Leavenworth at aprox 2:30pm, the drive will continue east on Hwy 2 to Hwy 97 South. The route will include a section of Old Blewett Pass Road, a 10 mile scenic hill climb and descent along the original highway. This single lane paved road has almost NO traffic, and has exceptional twists and turns and 180 degree corners.

Continuing on Hwy 97 south, the route leads to Cle Elum, and I-90. From Cle Elum drivers may continue home, or enjoy an optional dinner in Cle Elum aprox 4:30pm. After dinner the group will continue on I-90 west across Snoqualmie Pass towards Seattle.

To register please go to: http://audiclubnw.motorsportreg.com.

Depending on the weather I may do it. Sound like a fun way to experience the beauty up here. If weather is good I'll drive the Vette, wifes Audi has nice pep buts it numb to me. ('08 V6 TTQ)

Last edited by JETninja; 09-10-2014 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That does sound like a pretty nice drive
Old 09-09-2014, 07:18 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
That does sound like a pretty nice drive
I have put it on my calendar. Just hope I remember to look at it more often.

Are we going to even mention this to Poodle Girl or should we simply try to look and act proper and not have to explain why we allow people like that to travel with us?

Come to think of it - and I know little about the Audi group - there are several forum members who see nothing wrong with Poodle Girl being allowed out with us in public, and act accordingly. No, I'm not going to mention names, Ken, Fred, Aaron. Joe...et al

Should we get together at, say, the XXX in Issaquah and decide over a root beer float who we should even tell about this event?

Last edited by last901; 09-09-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:48 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by last901
I have put it on my calendar. Just hope I remember to look at it more often.

Are we going to even mention this to Poodle Girl or should we simply try to look and act proper and not have to explain why we allow people like that to travel with us?

Come to think of it - and I know little about the Audi group - there are several forum members who see nothing wrong with Poodle Girl being allowed out with us in public, and act accordingly. No, I'm not going to mention names, Ken, Fred, Aaron. Joe...et al

Should we get together at, say, the XXX in Issaquah and decide over a root beer float who we should even tell about this event?
Any excuse to have a GTG at XXX is good enough for me. Does sound like a great drive...
Old 09-09-2014, 11:07 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Racer
Any excuse to have a GTG at XXX is good enough for me. Does sound like a great drive...
I agree wholeheartedly!

It was nice to take a nice drive up highway 97 last weekend (and open it up really good once - another driver would do 5 below the speed limit UNTIL we got to a passing zone, then take it to 10 over; he didn't want me to pass... That didn't work out too well for him ).

Matter of fact, I'll be doing mostly the same drive tomorrow - me wife booked us a cottage over in the Winthrop area and then a little wine tasting in E. Washington.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:24 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Understand, the Wife and I have only been here 2 years, so we totally dig the Fall colors change, we had a little where we lived in SoCal but nothing close to what we see just in our own yard here.

So far the kids seem to be playing mostly Sunday Soccer games, so I'm hoping I can do this. Already planned to get the Park pass, the main Sammamish Soccer fields have a gravel piece of crap parking lot, can park on pavement on the other side from the fields with a Park pass.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:47 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been a card carrying member of the NWAC since 2008. Although I no longer own the Audi, they do put on some fun drives. Some more spirited than others. Saturday I will be driving the Maryhill Loops Road with them for the third time.

Get notified of new replies

To Fall Colors Tour

Quick Reply: Fall Colors Tour