Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

This kind of PR we don't need!

Old 09-13-2014, 06:49 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default This kind of PR we don't need!

Just heard on the scanner here in the Methow Valley, broadcast to all units, group of approx. 15 Corvettes eastbound south of Winthrop, high speeds, unsafe passing and flipping off other motorists.

REALLY, what type of crap is that? I would expect more of a Corvette owner then this relates. Granted most drivers don't know a safe pass from an unsafe pass as performed by a performance car but "flipping other motorists off". That gives us all a black eye.

If anyone knows who this group of idiots is please pass along my dislike for their behavior. I have to live over here and don't appreciate them branding my car as being driven by a careless *******.

Next time your car gets keyed or suffers a flat in the side wall from someone's knife think of this incident and thank these jerks for not helping the Corvette Nation.

Off my soapbox.

George
Twisp, WA
Old 09-13-2014, 10:15 PM
olympic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pitiful.
Witnesses should jot down plate numbers. If that resulted in even a phone call from authorities, that would probably be that.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:14 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

This is so wrong. The only part of what you heard that sounds even remotely plausible is that there might have been a group of Corvettes in a caravan of sorts.

The behavior and claims of driving recklessly (my term) seems all wrong. Wonder how this came about?

There is something terribly wrong here. Either the original report was somehow made by some pissed-off citizen probably driving in the wrong lane in the wrong speed or some rookie police cadet hoping to make a name for themself.

If there's any truth to this I'm sure it will be on KING-TV or CNN before morning.

I don't know much about scanners. Is it possible the general public or amateur radio enthusiast can broadcast such reports?

What's wrong with this picture?

There's something here that just doesn't sound right...

Just sayin'
Old 09-14-2014, 01:29 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Within 20-30 mins of me posting this the reported group was contacted in downtown Winthrop and given a stern finger shaking by the female town Marshal.

George
Old 09-14-2014, 03:28 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Good. We don't need anyone ruining our welcome next year. I'm sure we can accomplish that on our own.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:43 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by George's_Vette
Within 20-30 mins of me posting this the reported group was contacted in downtown Winthrop and given a stern finger shaking by the female town Marshal.

George
Which finger?

Did this turn out to be a bunch of Corvettes as reported?
Old 09-14-2014, 07:33 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by last901
Which finger?

Did this turn out to be a bunch of Corvettes as reported?
Yes they were contacted near the library in Winthrop, spoken to by the local cop and advised of the complaint against them for pissing off another motorist who called them into the county sheriff's office in Okanogan.

Probably something we have all done more than once. As for the flipping off thing it only takes one jackass or J/A passenger to push another motorists buttons and really there is no reason to make such gestures in the 1st place. Now tossing a sack of roofing nails in front of their car that's a different story. :-)

Phil you going to be at Chelan for the Mahogany and Merlot GTG this year? We'll be there Sat. looking for you. Last year you disappeared on Sun. when we were there.

-G
Old 09-15-2014, 02:11 AM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Phil you going to be at Chelan for the Mahogany and Merlot GTG this year? We'll be there Sat. looking for you. Last year you disappeared on Sun. when we were there.

-G
Won't be there this year George. We're only taking two boats from the museum over, probably Miss Wahoo and the Oberto. We're still reworking the sponsons on the 'Blue Blaster so I'll probably still be working on that during the M&M weekend. The Burien crew has been putting new sponsons on Miss Burien as well, but the project is going very slowly. I do anticipate the '55 Miss Thriftway and the '62 Miss Bardahl will be there though.

I've been told the "pit area" has been reworked this year and there is some concern over having enough space. On the other hand it sounds as though we'll run the vintage unlimiteds on both Saturday and Sunday this year. Usually we ran them on Saturday and headed for home on Sunday. That's probably why you couldn't find me last year. Sorry I missed you.

All in all, too much to do around here to have a guilt-free weekend at Chelan.

Phil
Old 09-15-2014, 10:23 AM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, one thing we know for sure....it couldn't possibly have been Phil.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:01 PM
AnzVette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glad to be able to clear this up

Hi George.

Thank you for the chance to clear this up.

We found out about that report from a female officer in an unmarked truck who unbeknownst to us followed us for many miles and concluded we were well behaved and there must have been a mistake.

Another officer stopped one of our members as we entered Winthrop as an FYI. No tickets, no warnings.

It appears to have been an unfortunate sequence of events.

There were also other Corvettes on the road at the time. We may have taken the heat for another's misdeeds.

Just heard on the scanner here in the Methow Valley, broadcast to all units, group of approx. 15 Corvettes eastbound south of Winthrop, high speeds, unsafe passing and flipping off other motorists.

REALLY, what type of crap is that? I would expect more of a Corvette owner then this relates. Granted most drivers don't know a safe pass from an unsafe pass as performed by a performance car but "flipping other motorists off". That gives us all a black eye.

If anyone knows who this group of idiots is please pass along my dislike for their behavior. I have to live over here and don't appreciate them branding my car as being driven by a careless *******.

Next time your car gets keyed or suffers a flat in the side wall from someone's knife think of this incident and thank these jerks for not helping the Corvette Nation.

Off my soapbox.

George
Twisp, WA
Old 09-15-2014, 03:08 PM
AnzVette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ps.

No one gave anyone the finger. We do wave with appreciation if a motorist pulls over, but they wave back with a smile as they see the line go by.

Originally Posted by AnzVette
Hi George.

We found out about that report from a female officer in an unmarked truck who unbeknownst to us followed us for many miles and concluded we were well behaved and there must have been a mistake.

Another officer stopped one of our members as we entered Winthrop as an FYI. No tickets, no warnings.

There were also other Corvettes on the road at the time. We may have taken the heat for another's misdeeds.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:16 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Hi George.

No one gave anyone the finger. We do wave with appreciation if a motorist pulls over, but they wave back with a smile as they see the line go by.
I often see this happening; people blows things out of proportion, be it exaggerated by cops, be it bystanders. People just love to be in the news

If I were you, I'd never judge anyone based on a law enforcement officer's or some witness'es description. By the way, there's no Corvette gang in WA :P

Get notified of new replies

To This kind of PR we don't need!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: This kind of PR we don't need!