Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Need Help Stock in Leavenworth WA.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 10:37 PM
TonyCool
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Need Help Stock in Leavenworth WA.

Hi fellow corvette members,

We are stuck in Leavenworth WA and I'm wondering if someone with a trailer could help us tow our corvette to Corvettes of Auburn. We can cover the cost of Gas and something extra for the bother.

My wife and I decided to go for a nice drive to Leavenworth Washington in our 2005 Corvette. Everything was going great until suddenly the engine temperature started going up at an scary rate the check coolant light came on, then the engine light came on, then the check oil warning.

We were fortunately already a few feet from our destination so I was able to immediately park the car safely in a public parking lot. Though at that point the engine had overheated past the red mark on the temperature gauge. I opened the hood to realize the car had spilled all of the coolant.

Last week I took the car to Dan at Corvettes of Auburn and spent over $4000 on maintenance, got a new ATI balancer, water pump, ac compressor, had all fluids bleed and flushed. I think something was not done correctly that caused the coolant to spill and the engine to overheat.

I'm hoping there is a lose hoes or something small and praying there was no serious engine damage. I'm still a bit in shock . if any of you guys could help us out to save some money that will be great.

Blessings,

Tony

Last edited by TonyCool; 09-27-2014 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:41 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

I have no way to help in getting you home, but I suggest you go to a Market, buy 4-6 jugs of Distilled Water. Pour in what it will take, start it and let it get warm (have the heater on full hot also so the heater core gets filled) and fill it as best as you can. If it keeps the temp under 230 you should be fine for the drive. Could be they just didn't bleed it well enough. Make sure your belts are all good also.

Water alone is a better coolant that water/coolant mix. (many race cars only run water) And its not cold enough to worry about freezing.

If anything needs replacing in a cooling system, I replace it all. Its only as good as its weakest link. My '04Z has never had an issue, I flushed it last year. 44K and climbing..
Old 09-28-2014, 10:55 AM
TonyCool
Racer

Originally Posted by JETninja
I have no way to help in getting you home, but I suggest you go to a Market, buy 4-6 jugs of Distilled Water. Pour in what it will take, start it and let it get warm (have the heater on full hot also so the heater core gets filled) and fill it as best as you can. If it keeps the temp under 230 you should be fine for the drive. Could be they just didn't bleed it well enough. Make sure your belts are all good also.

Water alone is a better coolant that water/coolant mix. (many race cars only run water) And its not cold enough to worry about freezing.

If anything needs replacing in a cooling system, I replace it all. Its only as good as its weakest link. My '04Z has never had an issue, I flushed it last year. 44K and climbing..
After I parked the car I refilled the coolant reservoir. I started the engine and it started fine but after two or three minutes the coolant started spilling everywhere and the engine overheated again.

I didn't try turning on the heater though. Do you think that would make any difference?

I think there is something serious going on and I don't want to risk engine damage.

Maybe something went wrong when the installed the water pump and flushed the coolant out of the system. It certainly seems related to what they did.

Also I'm pretty sure the coolant mixed with the oil and messed it up. Coolant was going out of the exhaust as well and the rear bumper got soaked in coolant. I removed all coolant from the paint immediately.

Tony
Old 09-28-2014, 11:23 AM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 450 Likes on 254 Posts

Sounds like the thermostat make be stuck....if you have access to any hand tools I'd yank it out and try again.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:32 AM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

If you have coolant going out the tail pipe, you are correct: You have a major problem. Is it actually in the oil on the dipstick? Foamy? It may be a bad head gasket.

Last edited by DidntSettle; 09-28-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:32 AM
YNOT2K
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
Sounds like the thermostat make be stuck....if you have access to any hand tools I'd yank it out and try again.
This would not answer why the coolant is spilling out.

You will need to find the source of the leak and fix it to be safe on the road.

I suggest you Call Corvettes of Auburn and ask them what they can do for you.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:04 PM
TonyCool
Racer

Originally Posted by DidntSettle
If you have coolant going out the tail pipe, you are correct: You have a major problem. Is it actually in the oil on the dipstick? Foamy? It may be a bad head gasket.
That's what I thought I won't start the car and hopefully will find a way to get it to Corvettes of Auburn.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:05 PM
TonyCool
Racer

Originally Posted by YNOT2K
I already called and sent email but they are closed over the weekend hopefully Dan will step in and help out.

Tony
Old 09-28-2014, 12:57 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

While it's a little late, things like this are why I have AAA and their Plus towing service. Leavenworth is more than 100 miles from Auburn (it's about 135 miles), but it would certainly cut the cost of the tow bill down. And the AAA Premium level provides for 200 miles of towing fro free.

Also when you check with Dan, ask him if he has a preferred towing company. Most auto shops will have one towing company that provides better rates to a shop than simply calling around for rates.

Last edited by c4cruiser; 09-28-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:57 PM
jasper711
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
While it's a little late, things like this are why I have AAA and their Plus towing service. Leavenworth is more than 100 miles from Auburn (it's about 135 miles), but it would certainly cut the cost of the tow bill down. And the AAA Premium level provides for 200 miles of towing fro free.

Also when you check with Dan, ask him if he has a preferred towing company. Most auto shops will have one towing company that provides better rates to a shop than simply calling around for rates.
Sometimes AAA can be purchased on the spur of the moment, and indeed sometimes the tow truck operator will suggest this.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:40 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by YNOT2K
This would not answer why the coolant is spilling out.

You will need to find the source of the leak and fix it to be safe on the road.

I would insist they pay for the tow and fix. You spent $4,,000 and this happened!!!!. Doesn't say much for Corvettes of Auburn. Glad we have Modern Classics and Tommy Wong down here!!

Last edited by VIK TOY; 09-28-2014 at 04:42 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-28-2014, 05:17 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VIK TOY
I would insist they pay for the tow and fix. You spent $4,,000 and this happened!!!!. Doesn't say much for Corvettes of Auburn. Glad we have Modern Classics and Tommy Wong down here!!
Unless I missed something, the OP didn't describe anything that Corvettes of Auburn did that would cause coolant coming from the exhaust. Let's find out what the real problem is before blaming CoA. They are very reputable.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:55 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Unless I missed something, the OP didn't describe anything that Corvettes of Auburn did that would cause coolant coming from the exhaust. Let's find out what the real problem is before blaming CoA. They are very reputable.

I'm glad we have C of A up here as well. I'm sure they'll be able to fix whatever is wrong.

Hey Keith...
Old 09-28-2014, 07:22 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I would insist they pay for the tow and fix. You spent $4,,000 and this happened!!!!. Doesn't say much for Corvettes of Auburn. :ack: Glad we have Modern Classics and Tommy Wong down here!!
Really if you stop for a moment and think about it.... to say something like this about a local vendor ... that many of us have used over the years .... without any firsthand knowledge of what happened, is not very nice.

Let's give them a chance to make good before we bad mouth them on the forum. After all at this point they don't even know about the situation yet
Old 09-28-2014, 07:48 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Red Racer

Hey Keith...
Hi Joe!
Old 09-29-2014, 01:39 AM
TonyCool
Racer

Hi Everyone,

We found a way to get the car to corvette of Auburn and it will be there waiting for Dan and their mechanics to look at it in the morning. I couple members of the local viper club got together to help me out. They really are great folks.

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

Originally Posted by jasper711
Sometimes AAA can be purchased on the spur of the moment, and indeed sometimes the tow truck operator will suggest this.
This is great to know I'll look into it.

I agree that Corvette of Auburn should take responsibility as this was clearly related to the water pump install, the thermostat and the coolant flush.

Contrary to what you state it's quite possible that a problem with the water pump, a badly attached hose or the thermostat could have caused the coolant to spill which in turn caused the engine the overheat which could have caused internal engine damage that could lead to coolant going out of the exhaust. I'm not stating this is what happen I simply don't know yet but I do believe that what happened is directly related to the work done by the shop as they basically replaced the whole cooling system and I never had and issue with the cooling system before the repair. It's not my intention to bad mouth Corvettes of Auburn or damage Dan reputation without first giving them a chance to make things right.

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Really if you stop for a moment and think about it.... to say something like this about a local vendor ... that many of us have used over the years .... without any firsthand knowledge of what happened, is not very nice.

Let's give them a chance to make good before we bad mouth them on the forum. After all at this point they don't even know about the situation yet
Hopefully Dan will step in, take responsibility if my assumptions are correct and help me out.

Last edited by TonyCool; 09-29-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:41 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by TonyCool

Hopefully Dan will step in, take responsibility if my assumptions are correct and help me out.
Please keep us posted and good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help Stock in Leavenworth WA.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:13 PM
TonyCool
Racer

I want to update this thread. I called Dan this morning, they had looked at the car already and found that the issue was indeed caused by the installation of the water pump. Thankfully it was also something very simple, one of the hose clamps out of the water pump came lose, the hose stayed in position but at pressure the coolant would spill everywhere causing the engine to overheat.

Dan explained that if an overheated engine condition exists the engine goes into a protection mode.

Searching in the forum about the overheat protection mode I found that the engine alternates firing groups of cylinders, this helps preventing engine damage. When the engine enters this mode you will notice a loss in power and engine performance but this operating mode allows the vehicle to be driven to a safe place in an emergency; it may be driven up to 50 miles (80 km).

After driving in the overheated engine protection operating mode you should allow the engine to cool before attempting any repair. The engine oil will be severely degraded. It's recommended to change the oil and reset the oil life system once the cooling issue has been addressed.

In my case Dan didn't replace the oil, he said that since I turned off the engine almost immediately the oil was fine.

My car was delivered to me today and I didn't pay a dime. Although I had to incur in some unplanned costs because of what happened I'm just happy my engine is in awesome shape and this didn't result in another nightmare story.

I have no way of knowing whether Dan would have taken responsibility if there had been any serious damage but for what is worth I'm very happy with their work and I think this was an unfortunate mistake on their part.

Tony

Last edited by TonyCool; 09-30-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:06 AM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Glad things worked out as well as they did.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:54 PM
TonyCool
Racer

Originally Posted by Mufflerbearing
Glad things worked out as well as they did.
Thanks me too. I'm glad it wasn't something bigger and even though it was a scary weekend at least I got a couple of cool pictures:

An some not so cool ones:

Quick Reply: Need Help Stock in Leavenworth WA.