Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

HELP! NC traveler stuck in Medford, OR

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 01:00 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! NC traveler stuck in Medford, OR

Wife and I are on a trip of a lifetime cross country in our 2000 vert. Near Crater Lake NP yesterday the tranny died and thanks to some good samaritins and AAA we were able to be towed to Airport Chevrolet in Medford. They confirmed this morning that the tranny is toast (70K on car) and needs to be replaced. Then the ringer. GM does not have a tranny anywhere in the country! We have run into this before when the EBCM went bad. Can anyone suggest a reputable salvage yard anywhere in the area that might have the parts we need. Phone numbers would be helpfull. Additionally, we would not be adverse to an independent shop that might do a good job for less money than the dealer.

Thanks for looking
Old 10-03-2014, 06:47 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Chevy dealers are not going to really try hard to sell you anything other than new/reman GM parts. I would ask the dealer if they would consider getting a Jasper replacement trans for you . Seems to me that if a GM major part (like a trans) is not available anywhere in their national inventory, they should step up and look at independent parts providers.

Jasper provides excellent quality remanufactured engines and transmissions. Their warranty far exceeds a GM replacement parts warranty.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:19 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the option. ZIP Corvette parts has then new or rebuilt considerably cheaper than Jasper, but it was a good thought.
We have decided to just haul the car home and have it repaired there. Vacation is over for us two old geezers. i just think it a #$%^ shame that Government Motors bills the Corvette as it's flagship car but does nothing for the owners. My car was bought new, babied all of it's life, garage kept and driven primarily on our vacations. I understand that mechanical things can and do fail, but I will never understand the lack of support by the manufacturer for a 14 year old vehicle. I also own a C1, and, thanks to the aftermarket, I can purchase anything I need for it. I am done with Corvette and GM. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER GM PRODUCT.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:05 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Dude, outside of Ferrari (and have you checked their repair prices?) no dealer wants to see a 14yr old car, they make money on warranty repairs and not much else. Thats why independent dealers are so prevalent, they save you money and they have an interest in repairing your car. If you could tow it to Auburn, Corvettes of Auburn would love to fix it I'm sure....and do a great job.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:59 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Sorry you feel that way about GM and their products. But I believe that US automakers are not required to keep every new replacement part for vehicles that are more than ten years old. Sure, there are parts that the automakers will continue to stock beyond that period simply because there is a need for them, but things like complete transmissions may not be one of them.

And there are dealerships that would probably have rebuilt your transmission; it would depend on what exactly went wrong. There are Corvette trans parts available.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! NC traveler stuck in Medford, OR

Quick Reply: HELP! NC traveler stuck in Medford, OR