Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Old dealer on Rainier Ave

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:48 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts

Default Old dealer on Rainier Ave

Does anyone remember the name of the Chevy dealer on Rainier Ave? It was about 1/2 way between Renton and Seattle. It closed decades ago.

Also, do you remember Phil Smart? He was a big time Corvette dealer in 1957.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:15 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by ztheusa
Does anyone remember the name of the Chevy dealer on Rainier Ave? It was about 1/2 way between Renton and Seattle. It closed decades ago.

Would that be the same Phil Smart who has a Seattle Mercedes dealership? Probably his son?
Old 10-09-2014, 12:38 AM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by ztheusa

I believe the place was Courtesy Chevrolet and was located on Rainier north of Genesee Ave and south of MLK way. I think the building is still there and is home now to an assortment of auto-related businesses.

I think the other dealer you may be thinking of was Tad Davies Chevrolet on Capitol Hill. On Pike St just a block or two west of Broadway. I've been told that Phil Smart Sr was the sales mgr, but am not sure exactly how the Mercedes connection started. There was a time, during the 50's when the Mercedes line was distributed and sold through Studebaker dealers which at the time would have been L.E. Belcourt on 12th ave in the building where the liquor store is today and just north of the current Police Precinct.

Now you must remember this was just after what seemed like the Jurassic period so my mind may be a little foggy.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:49 AM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by last901
I believe the place was Courtesy Chevrolet and was located on Rainier north of Genesee Ave and south of MLK way. I think the building is still there and is home now to an assortment of auto-related businesses.

Now you must remember this was just after what seemed like the Jurassic period so my mind may be a little foggy.
I'll defer to my senior partner on the name....but I know exzctly the dealership. It was past the Wigwam discount store but before the Foremost Dairy. As a kid I'd routinely ride my Metallic Blue (Chrome Fendered) Firestone 500 bike from our house in the Mt Baker District (near Stan Sayers) down to that dealership and look at the new cars.

That's where I saw and fell in love with my first Corvette....the C2. I dont remember the exact years but it could have been the entire 63-67 run....though by 67 I was running go carts on the streets in between patrols. I do remeber the sticker price though....a Vette was running $5,000 plus when a nice Impala was more like $3500. Seemed like an impossible amount of money at the time.

How many of these do you remember?
http://seattletimes.com/news/local/s...tory/nominees/
Old 10-10-2014, 12:43 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Wow, it's hard to imagine Walter as a little Tyke on a Bike.

Cool history for someone that first lived here briefly in '93, then returned in '12.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:07 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I lived in the Beacon Hill neighborhood near McClellan street from age 1 until I married and moved out. My dad actually purchased a car from that dealership, though I only barely remember it since I was probably six or seven years old.

I have vivid memories, though, of hearing the baseball games from our front porch from Sicks Stadium.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:15 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by JETninja
Wow, it's hard to imagine Walter as a little Tyke on a Bike.
True dat!
Old 10-11-2014, 12:43 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MisterMidlifeCrisis
I have vivid memories, though, of hearing the baseball games from our front porch from Sicks Stadium.
Yup, me too. We used to sit up on the hill in back of the Stadium Aprtments and watch the game. Also, the Sics parking lot was the only legal place I could drive my go cart.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:04 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by XC6VETTE
Yup, me too. We used to sit up on the hill in back of the Stadium Aprtments and watch the game. Also, the Sics parking lot was the only legal place I could drive my go cart.
Did you know that Elvis played his first Seattle concert there? (in the stadium, not the parking lot)
Old 10-11-2014, 11:08 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Did you know that Elvis played his first Seattle concert there? (in the stadium, not the parking lot)
Had no idea. Only Elvis Seattle connection I can think of was that Seattle Worlds Fair movie he did....'62?
http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/elvis-in-seattle.html

I'll bet no one knows or remembers that the temp Worlds Fair housing that was set up Just north of Sics stadium, to the east of Ranier, but south of my grade school Our Lady of Mt Virgin. They must have torn them down quickly cause all I remember seeing was the remnant concrete foundation.

What year did he perform at Sics?
Found it, 1957.....I was 3....
http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/....SJfUppVK.dpbs

Last edited by XC6VETTE; 10-11-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:59 AM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by XC6VETTE
What year did he perform at Sics?
Found it, 1957.....I was 3....

As I recall Phil and I were in the front row.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:47 AM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mufflerbearing
As I recall Phil and I were in the front row.
Yep, I remember we were talking about that obnoxious 3-year old on the bike out in the parking lot, trying to trade some marbles for a ticket, a cigarette and and some fake ID. Seemed a bit young to be out that late.

Wonder what ever became of him? My guess is he may still be in the Juvenile detention center.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:32 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Yep, I remember we were talking about that obnoxious 3-year old on the bike out in the parking lot, trying to trade some marbles for a ticket, a cigarette and and some fake ID. Seemed a bit young to be out that late.

Wonder what ever became of him? My guess is he may still be in the Juvenile detention center.
Hmmmmm, not the way I remember it. As I recall I asked you to buy me some beer....I had my own smokes.

Get notified of new replies

To Old dealer on Rainier Ave

Quick Reply: Old dealer on Rainier Ave