Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

NW Tire for a C5

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Imndeep
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NW Tire for a C5

Hello all,

I'm due for some new tires and am not happy with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS run flat's that I had. I did like the way they wore being I have over 50k on them and they're finally giving up the ghost but they are NOISY! Just outright loud. I'm looking for an All season tire that is quiet yet is a good comprimise between wet and dry traction. Looking at Tire Rack in their Ultra High Performance All Season cantegory the Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 are the top rated tire.
Has anyone here ran those on their Vette's?
Chime in anyone.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:32 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Read the charts carefully. Even if they made a tire that would fit the rear of the Corvette, the ratings for handling are below the Michelin A/S 3. They are better in snow only, if you were thinking about taking your Corvette out on the snow days we get then they are better for that.

Change the size selection to 285/35/19 and you will only see 3 tires shown.

I'm swaying this way, away from the A/S ZP tires which are going to be noisier than a non-runflat.

I spoke to a technician at Tire Rack and he said flat out that the A/S 3 is the best tire to buy for All Season use. The only thing they won't do as well as some others is get you through the snow if you're caught out or only have the one vehicle. And they might be a little noisier than some other tires.

Check out the spider charts below the first two that are about snow driving. Nothing comes close to the handling of the Michelin A/S 3. It comes down to how important is handling/cost vs comfort, noise and true snow use.

Last edited by SmileyOr; 10-14-2014 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Spider Charts
Old 10-14-2014, 09:28 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Forget the run flats and just get the Pilot Sports. MUCH quieter and a better ride as well
Old 10-15-2014, 04:38 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I've been super happy with my Pilot Sport's
Old 10-15-2014, 05:51 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

I just ordered the A/S 3's and I was surprised to see they would be delivered tomorrow!

I know what I'm doing Saturday morning now.

The test will be when I pick up the GF to drive her home and she says "it sure is quiet in here".

My GY RF F1 GS tires have about 2/16th tread left and in the cold (I have yet to increase pressure) I am noticing the car wandering more.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Imndeep
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. I will look into the AS3's.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:14 PM
Imndeep
Intermediate

So considering everything I went with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All Season. So far so good. The grip in the wet is excellent, being all it's been doing is raining lately. the road noise is tolerable, unlike the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP's. Those tires drove me crazy but lasted 50k+ miles. Great tire but noisy. So we'll see how the Goodyears behave.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:12 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

The Michelin A/S 3 ' s were not as quiet as I had hoped. But the overall ride is better and they are a tremendous improvement in the rain.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:42 AM
Imndeep
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SmileyOr
The Michelin A/S 3 ' s were not as quiet as I had hoped. But the overall ride is better and they are a tremendous improvement in the rain.
I know right? You would think with tire technology nowadays that they could figure out how to make them quieter but still have stiff sidewalls for better deflection. I really wanted to try the Hankooks believe it or not, they just didn't make the rear tire in our size. Everyone I talk to that has them loves them.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:06 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

summer tires can provide just as good of wet grip - they are worthless in ice and snow conditions, and can have slightly reduced traction in freezing temps, but still.. how much of that do we really see and how many of us don't have other transportation options?

I am going to mich. super sports when my tires need replacing. drive the wifes legacy if it snows or work from home when I need to

Get notified of new replies

To NW Tire for a C5

Quick Reply: NW Tire for a C5