Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Share Your Memories...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:40 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Share Your Memories...

How many of you remember...

Duwamish, El Rancho, Starlight, Sno-King and Midway Drive-in Theaters

Lou's in Burien

Kuehnols (sp?) on Rainier ave at McLellan in South Seattle

A&W Root Beer drive ups

Burgermaster in the UW district (and by association, the Univ-Village parking lot at night

Jack's Payless Auto parts

Alan Green Chevrolet (or Westlake Chev, Lee Moran Mercury Lincoln, Central Pontiac and British Motor Cars)

Tape Town

Busch's on So Tacoma Way

What was your favorite passion pit or make-out place

Yaw's in Portland

Car Clubs (Tacoma Toppers, The Dusters, Asphalt Angels, Royal Slicks...)

The Renton "loop"

The Tubes (illegal street racing)

The annual Custom Auto, Hot Boat and Speed Show

The Seattle Armory

C'mon, let's hear your memories and stories....
Old 10-29-2014, 08:49 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds like another slow day at Phil's house. My memory is getting as short as my............never mind.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:03 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Definitely A&W Root Beer . There was one in Lacey for a number of years.
Never been to Alan Green Chevrolet, but I used to buy parts at Dick Balch. Bought a '78 Corvette at Cal Worthington.

I also remember Pearl's in Bremerton and the Spanish Castle.

Busch's on So. Tacoma Way was a great place but Busch's on 6th Avenue was always crowded on Saturday nights. Same with cruising on 6th Avenue and hanging out on Highland Hill.

Didn't Jerry "The King" Ruth bring his fuel dragster out one night and make a pass somewhere in Burien?? I remember hearing about that but I never really made it up to that area.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:10 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A&W ROOT BEER. Aren't there a couple in Seattle area?? There are several down here Portland and Salem
Old 10-30-2014, 08:11 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Definitely A&W Root Beer . There was one in Lacey for a number of years.
Never been to Alan Green Chevrolet, but I used to buy parts at Dick Balch. Bought a '78 Corvette at Cal Worthington.

I also remember Pearl's in Bremerton and the Spanish Castle.

Busch's on So. Tacoma Way was a great place but Busch's on 6th Avenue was always crowded on Saturday nights. Same with cruising on 6th Avenue and hanging out on Highland Hill.

Didn't Jerry "The King" Ruth bring his fuel dragster out one night and make a pass somewhere in Burien?? I remember hearing about that but I never really made it up to that area.
Great memories. I spent many Friday nights at the Castle and many other dance venues since my friend was part of a band, "Tiny Tony and the Statics". Was it Pearls or Perls' in Bremerton? Never have figured that out.

Then there was the Crescent in Tacoma, Lake Hills roller rink, Parkers in No Seattle, the Hollywood Bowl in New Westminster b.C. The 7 Cedars in Mt Vernon...

I never heard the story abut Jerry Ruth making a run in Burien. My guess is that it didn't happen, but there were plenty of car things happening, including impromptu races on 1st Ave, or a trip to the tunnels under the Sea-tac Runway. At the time, Burien was home to several performance oriented places like S&S Dyno Tune (I think that was the name)and Alan Green.

Anyone ever had their car pinstriped or customized by Vic Nordee?

But Jerry Ruth was perhaps the best known and most successful NW top fuel - or was it AA/F dragster then? - But there was also Dick Kalivoda out of Portland, Ron Rolstad in the "Green Dragon" and others. Does anyone remember the Rapidville Roadster? Doug's Racing Stables on River Road near Puyallup? Competition Specialties? Exhaust Specialities?

How about Keith Jacobson and his MC drag boats out of "Muffler City"

Lots of memories, Ken. thanks.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:23 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mufflerbearing
Sounds like another slow day at Phil's house. My memory is getting as short as my............never mind.
Yes, Pat, my friend. It has been a little slow around here and I've been reading a number of books on the local "scene" by way of Pat O'Day's book, It was only Rock and Roll II

I've also signed on again at "Classmates" which I suspect has caused more divorces and affairs than anything else ever added to the internet. I don't endorse the idea of Classmates, but if you've ever wondered what happened to several of your old girl friends or the guys you used to hang out with in the hallways at High School, well, this could keep you entertained for some time.

BTW, I reconnected with my girl friend from the 8th grade at Chinook Jr. High. We meet, along with a few others who all went to Chinook and to Mt Rainier High school every month at Starbuck's. Get this though; apparently I gave my first true love a ring - didn't they call them friendship rings then? - as a sign that we were then going steady. She still has it and won't surrender it. Apparently we've been going steady for about 54 years. Great fun every month when we get together. The only downside is that we fight over the disabled parking spots.

I've got to go take my Metamucil. It's not bad with a shot of Dewar's.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:31 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Skyline Burgers in Portland used to serve you in your car at the drive up through the 60's. I had my first swimming lessons at the Jantzen Beach Fun Center on Hayden Island before I-5 was completed.

I still remember watching Tora Tora Tora! at a drive in when it came out.

How about those intermissions they used to have so you could take a break for popcorn and not miss the movie?
Old 11-03-2014, 10:14 PM
C5 Dawg
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Ahh, the Renton Loop. A three mile circular parking lot on the Friday and Saturday nights of my teenage years. Some great street racing began there. Now a yearly car show takes place on those streets http://www.gorenton.com/play/returntorentoncarshow. Same people, better cars, improved stories.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:38 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bit before my time but cool as hell.....back when GM was dominant and really influenced (lead) the industry.

http://blog.classiccars.com/sema-see...ss-futurliner/

Last edited by XC6VETTE; 11-04-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:40 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Wasn't there an American Graffitti type run every Friday night up in Everett....on Colby?
Old 11-04-2014, 07:48 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by XC6VETTE
Wasn't there an American Graffitti type run every Friday night up in Everett....on Colby?
The famous Colby Cruise. I spent most of my young Friday and Saturday nights on Colby and had my share of tickets to back it up.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:53 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

The famous Colby Cruise. I spent most of my young Friday and Saturday nights on Colby and had my share of tickets to back it up.
Funny you should mention tickets. My first (and only) Cannon Ball style run from Lake City up to Colby was my first encounter with the law...in a motor vehicle....that week.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:56 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Pat, at what time on the clock did young Friday and Saturday nights become old nights?

But you're right on. Colby was one of premiere spots for cruising. Thinking back, Mt Vernon kids used to "drag the gut" through town on weekend nights. Never did understand just what that meant. I was too busy at the 7 Cedars with my buddies in the band to pay a lot of attention to the "car thing". Maybe because I drove a Corvair?

Just Sayin'
Old 11-04-2014, 11:19 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by last901
Pat, at what time on the clock did young Friday and Saturday nights become old nights?
There were at least a few nights when I was determined to be the last guy on the cruise. That usually meant staying out till 3:00 am or later as the bars were open till 2 back then. No trophy for not having common sense at that hour.

Refresh my memory. Once in a great while we used to drive down to Renton looking for street races and as I recall the drive-in of note was called Keno's. Right name, wrong town?
Old 11-05-2014, 04:05 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

There were at least a few nights when I was determined to be the last guy on the cruise. That usually meant staying out till 3:00 am or later as the bars were open till 2 back then. No trophy for not having common sense at that hour.

Refresh my memory. Once in a great while we used to drive down to Renton looking for street races and as I recall the drive-in of note was called Keno's. Right name, wrong town?
The place your thinking of, Pat, was Kehunol's (can never remember how to spell it, but it was prnounced like "Kenos". It was not in Renton, but on Rainier ave and McLellan near the intersection of Empire Way (now MLK) and Rainier. In my opinion, the best cruising drive in in Seattle. It was also convenient to the Mt Baker Tunnels leading onto (and off) the floating bridge. As I recall, they were close enough to 1/4 mile to "host" some pretty good street racing.

Dag's was the place in Renton. Although there used to be another drive-in on Rainier and Grady Way. Can;'t remember if it was a XXX or something else. Seems like it was just across the street from Rollerland. I think it was long gone before Dag's was built.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:54 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Rainier Ave. was going to be my second guess for Keno's or whatever. We also would check out Golden Gardens Park down by the waterfront and stop at Dag's on Aurora just north of the Battery Street tunnel. I need to try the 13 Coins restaurant again. Haven't been in there in decades.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:06 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Rainier Ave. was going to be my second guess for Keno's or whatever. We also would check out Golden Gardens Park down by the waterfront and stop at Dag's on Aurora just north of the Battery Street tunnel. I need to try the 13 Coins restaurant again. Haven't been in there in decades.
The 13 Coins isn't what it used to be. There are two of them now - have been for several years. There's the original one on Boren (directly across the street from where I used to live. Our house is now their parking lot. The other is across the street from the Airport on International Drive.

Either one will seem familiar to you, but the prices have gone up. They tend to scrimp on the anti-pasta "appetizers" but the food is still pretty good and the atmosphere is about the same. Still, it does;t have the same "feel" as it did, say 30 years ago. We do still go there though if only to get a great frittata. Sadly, no more of their awesome Crab Louis.

But it's a Seattle Tradition.

Do you remember the Polynesian restaurant on the waterfront near the ferry terminal? Les Teagle's on Aurora, just north of the Dag's you mention?

Get notified of new replies

To Share Your Memories...

Old 11-05-2014, 09:07 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

I remember the Polynesian and just vaguely Teagles. There was another drive-in just north before you get to Woodland Park I think was called the Chuckwagon. Nothing special as I recall. I had grandparents living on Phinny Ridge just south of the park when I was a kid and we made weekly trips down 99 from Everett to see them.

Last edited by Mufflerbearing; 11-05-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:48 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

ttt
Old 11-12-2014, 08:45 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Speaking of memories...

When I was about 6 years old, my dad took me to the General Motors Motorama, a huge production featuring the introduction of new cars for that year, 1958. I think that was the first time I looked at cars as something really cool and more than just a way to go from one place to another.

There were all of these beautiful new cars on slowly revolving turntables and elevated platforms that were slowly lowered as they were introduced. ...I've never seen anything like that since then. I was excited to see that one of the featured cars was one like my parents had, a 1958 Pontiac Chieftain like the one pictured below minus those wheel covers. The only difference was that the interior had upgraded materials far and beyond what came with our standard model.

Oh yeah, that was the first car I ever drove. We kept it until 1965 and that's when I turned 13 and big enough to drive...with one of my parents in the car, of course.

That was in San Francisco at the Civic Center. Anybody ever hear of that show in Seattle or remember going to it?

Last edited by ExRedRacer; 11-12-2014 at 09:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Share Your Memories...