Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Own a C6 Vette? Want to drive it on some of the worlds best tracks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 12:04 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator
Default Own a C6 Vette? Want to drive it on some of the worlds best tracks?

Ok, caveat here, I'm talking about a Simulator. Not a game, but a Simulator. The company that makes the software also makes the Sims that tons of race teams and production cars use. (BMW, Ford and many more)

The Company is know as ISI (Image Space Inc)

A little history, I've been a Sim racer for over 10yrs, and I'm pretty decent. I race in a league with folks from ages in the low twenties to one in the 70s. We race online, have licenses, stewards, pre-qual, on race day 20 min Qual, Warm-up and then a 75 min race. We also have a sister league that does endurance races, 4 - 24hrs long. The Sim allows you to do your stints, when you come into pit, a teammate (that can be located anywhere in the world) can take over control of the car) takes over for you and does his stints....

But you don't have to race online or even race, you can select AI opponents or not. Play alone on online.

Over the years the original Sims created a huge mod community that created tracks and cars for any series you can think of. So 7 years ago they introduced rFactor 1 with only a few fantasy cars and tracks, it was made for the modders. I raced ALMS series the last 7 years and dabbled in other series in the off season. I've raced F1, Prototype C (Porsche 956), Trans-Am, Indy Car, Dirt Track and many more.

2yrs ago they introduced rFactor 2 (RF2) and it added a ton of new features. Accurate weather, tracks that have to rubber in, build up of marbles. They also besides leaving it open to modders, they also release many tracks, cars and series.

I bring this up because they seem to like Corvettes a lot. You can download a Demo that comes with the GT2 Vette and one ot two tracks. But this week they released 4 C6's.....C6 Coupe, C6 GS, C6 Z06 and C6 ZR1.

Now being a sim, the race cars have every gearing, suspension, tire etc settings that the real cars do, so it helps to understand car physics and how to setup suspension and aero. I've not tried these new C6's yet, but I assume the settings are very limited like the cars themselves.

To run it, you need a decent PC with a decent video card, and a Wheel/Pedal setup. I used a Logitech G27, its now huge money, comes wit Paddle shifters and a Manual 6sp, and 3 pedals. They are made well using bearings and proper electrical connections. They have force feedback also (FFB) which gives you great feedback over curbs, when the front is loose and much more....

If you might be interested, this is the site:

http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/rf2dl/

I play lots of games but racing is the hardest. You have to keep 100% concentration for the entire time your on the track or you end up off track or in a wall. But its a lot of fun, and very challenging. I won my first Championship last season driving a P2 Acura. This year I'm back in a Vette (C6 GT2, C7 out soon)

Just thought I'd share since so many Vettes were released!

PS, some screen shots: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/screenshots/

Last edited by JETninja; 11-26-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:21 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Might be fun to load it up again and download the new base models. That's the thing with most games/sims is they are geared to racing. So the cars are restricted to racing cars and not their stock counterparts. That's what would make it more enjoyable, to drive a car in the game/sim that you drive everyday.

I started racing Grand Prix Legends in 1998. I think that game, after going open source, now has several hundred tracks.

I am currently enjoying GT6 on the PS3 for fun. It feels OK, but not the immersion I got with GPL, iRacing, rFactor, NASCAR 3 with the GT mods or the GT series. Even GT6 doesn't ahve the base model. They have the Z06 and ZR1, but not the base model.

About 11 to 15 years ago I spent some time setting up simulators at automotive themed events. Sometimes at the tracks during CHAMP car races or NASCAR races. Other times it was at vehicle debuts. I still have one of the simulator frames, just no working controllers anymore to work with it. It was set up to work with a Thrustmaster controller that had variable gas and brake on the wheel where the paddle shifters go. This allowed full control without using pedals at your feet. This was a requirement for being able to get all ages and abilities into the sim easily and up and running with little instruction.

Several pro drivers sat in the sims. This was about the time they were starting to use simulators to learn tracks. We had Mario Andretti (retired), Bobby Rahal (retired), Graham Rahal, Paul Gentilosi and many more I can't remember today.

Last edited by SmileyOr; 11-26-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:26 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

I'm finding a harder learning curve with RF2, but then I raced RF1 in our league for 7 years. We finally switched over to RF2 this year. I don't seem to qual well, but always have good race strategy and cut even faster race laps than my qual. I bought it with the lifetime license cause I knew I'd be racing in leagues for years. If you don't plan on racing online, you can save some money.

My Sons (4) all love the various GT's on the PS2/3/4 over the years, only oldest Son (25) races in the same leagues as I (and he's been faster for a number of years, He has an A license and I have a B. They go all the way to D)

I picked up my G27 used off Craigslist, hardly used it was a bargain. And if something wears out they are easy to fix.

Good story, I know over the years we have stopped a number of times to check out the sims at the races....

Get notified of new replies

To Own a C6 Vette? Want to drive it on some of the worlds best tracks?

Quick Reply: Own a C6 Vette? Want to drive it on some of the worlds best tracks?