Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 04:21 PM
MACE_Hardware
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19
Default Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself

Hi Folks. I'm MACE. I've been a student of performance cars and racing all my life but strangely have never really owned a fast car. I have a mothballed 68 Camaro project car (that was purchased new by my dad) and have had a lot of fun with a supercharged MR2 but so far my fast car experience has been pretty academic. I've always been a pretty avid dirt biker and I have the limp to prove it. I studied auto tech for a year before I settled down to get my engineering degree. I do any kind of mechanical work for hobby.

Any way, a lifetime of being well employed and delayed gratification has put me in a position to finally get in on the new age of muscle cars. I came here to see if there was a "go to" Corvette dealer in the Puget Sound region.

Reading several posts in this regional forum, it seems like you are all a really nice group.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:38 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't say there is a specific go-to dealer in the area.. but I can say that roy-robinson in marysville has always treated me really well. I've bought a couple of cars from there and so have friends and family, no negative feedback. one thing about corvettes - usually the buyers are pretty particular about options and colors, so it's hard to pre-select a dealer and just have them randomly have the car you want. you may have to shop around. I had to drive to Portland (from Everett/Seattle), to get what I wanted, and it took a month of searching.

the corvettes going to be a handful to learn in so take it easy, especially on a test drive, in the middle of winter!
Old 01-01-2015, 04:41 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not in Puget Sound, but my husband Ken bought his new C7 from Dave Smith Chev. He shopped around a lot and Dave Smith had the best price and customer service. He even had a friend drive him all the way up there to pick it up. What year are you thinking of?? Check out the forums for each and the cars for sale there.
Welcome to Corvette family,you won't be sorry,except it is very addictive!!
Old 01-01-2015, 05:00 PM
MACE_Hardware
Instructor

Originally Posted by VIK TOY
Not in Puget Sound, but my husband Ken bought his new C7 from Dave Smith Chev. He shopped around a lot and Dave Smith had the best price and customer service. He even had a friend drive him all the way up there to pick it up. What year are you thinking of?? Check out the forums for each and the cars for sale there.
Welcome to Corvette family,you won't be sorry,except it is very addictive!!
My daughter is going to EWU in Cheney so it wouldn't be that far from there to Dave Smith...

If I go Corvette, it will probably be a C7. Maybe a Z06 if I wait another year. After all these years of driving ten year old pickup trucks, it's going to be (mentally) tough for me to cut that big check. One of the reasons I can afford something like that is because I've never been quick to spend. There's also the possibility I'll go with a previous generation Z06 to test the water before jumping in the swift current.

Like I said, I think we are enjoying the the best of times for performance cars and I want to get in on the good times before they vaporize into mandated CAFE regulations.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Welcome! and my recommendation is to get a C6 Z06. You won't be sorry and you will still lead the pack!! (for less money)
Old 01-01-2015, 06:46 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Entaille
I wouldn't say there is a specific go-to dealer in the area.. but I can say that roy-robinson in marysville has always treated me really well. I've bought a couple of cars from there and so have friends and family, no negative feedback. one thing about corvettes - usually the buyers are pretty particular about options and colors, so it's hard to pre-select a dealer and just have them randomly have the car you want. you may have to shop around. I had to drive to Portland (from Everett/Seattle), to get what I wanted, and it took a month of searching...
+1

There were certain options I had to have on my C6 and after a couple of months searching in several states through this forum and Auto Trader, I finally found exactly what wanted. The car was in another state so I took my grandson with me on a flight and drove it back home. THAT was an unforgettable experience.

And welcome to the forum...
Old 01-02-2015, 12:54 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Get a C7 !! They are sooooo much improved over the C6. You can get a C6 cheap now 'tho as lots of people selling them for the C7. Ken didn't want a Z06 (my C5 is a Z) Corvettes are so powerful,he thought it was overkill unless you are thinking of racing it.
He offered me his C6 auto,but a preferred to keep my C5Z. I told him when he gets "another" new Vette,I will take his 2014 -happily!! So comfortable and gets 22mpg city and 28-32 on open road. Put over 6,000 miles on it on the Bowling Green Caravan.
I understand the 2015Z is 700 hp. His 2014 is 460hp Our Vettes are our DD.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:32 PM
MACE_Hardware
Instructor

Originally Posted by VIK TOY
Get a C7 !! They are sooooo much improved over the C6.
Poking around CARS.com I'm surprised what the asking price is on the C6 Z06.

Chevrolet is brilliant to offer the C7 Z06 with such a high msrp. It makes the Stingray seem like a screaming bargain. At least I'm starting to think it's a bargain.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:25 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I am sure this could be said all the way down the line .. but I think c6's are a real bargain at the moment, too. half the cost of a stingray and 90% of the car! I say drive everything you possibly can and see what you like best!

I sat in but unfortunately couldn't drive a c7. the interior is worlds better! the visibility and seating position wasn't as good though, but I am sure I would have opted for one and gotten used to it, if I was willing to take on the extra debt.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:40 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MACE_Hardware
Poking around CARS.com I'm surprised what the asking price is on the C6 Z06.

Chevrolet is brilliant to offer the C7 Z06 with such a high msrp. It makes the Stingray seem like a screaming bargain. At least I'm starting to think it's a bargain.

What you have to think of,is you may be keeping this car for a long time. My husband had a brand new Mustang and I got him hooked on Vettes!! The C7 is our 4th Vette since 2006. I love my '02 C5Z but they just keep making them better! It depends what you want to do with your car. The C7 is a 7speed stick, but Ken works from home so driving in traffic isn't a problem. I think sticks are so much more fun!! I have almost 95,000 on my C5 and Ken has over 16,000 since Feb 2014 on his C7. Check out mthoodcorvettes.com which is one of the clubs we belong to. Lots of pictures! See if you can find a club by you and get advise from the members. Almost all members are friendly and love to help!!
Old 01-04-2015, 11:42 PM
MACE_Hardware
Instructor

I paid my family car insurance bill today and called to see how much the increase would be to replace my beater 2005 Toyota Taco truck with a 2015 Stingray. Bill would go up $180/year. Wow, I was expecting a much bigger increase.

No tickets, no accidents and gray hair has it's privileges.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:16 PM
MACE_Hardware
Instructor

Ooh, ordered my car today.

Z51 Laguna Blue
Old 02-15-2015, 01:56 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Congrats!
Old 02-15-2015, 06:29 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Z51 Laguna Blue
Nice choice! I think you're really going to love it!

Last edited by XC6VETTE; 02-15-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:56 PM
MACE_Hardware
Instructor

Originally Posted by XC6VETTE
Nice choice! I think you're really going to love it!
Yes, our tastes run very similar.

Do you have service at Speedway? They are closest to me.

I ended up ordering from Rimrock in Montana because no one local had allocation or didn't respond to my inquiries. I tried to buy from the locals but got no joy with a special order.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:10 PM
XC6VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, our tastes run very similar.

Do you have service at Speedway? They are closest to me.

I ended up ordering from Rimrock in Montana because no one local had allocation or didn't respond to my inquiries. I tried to buy from the locals but got no joy with a special order.
Similar indeed! I too bought from Ken before they sold to Rimrock. Same experience with the local lamo's.

As for service, I use BevMo.....since most people don't want me leaving my house and Phil won't invite me over to his place.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:09 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by XC6VETTE
Similar indeed! I too bought from Ken before they sold to Rimrock. Same experience with the local lamo's.

As for service, I use BevMo.....since most people don't want me leaving my house and Phil won't invite me over to his place.
Ah, c'mon Walter. I have long wanted to invite you over, but it's usually after sharing a few libations at your place and even I tend to forget where I live.

I do plan to have some of you over once I get my man cave finished and Red Racer gets over here to pick up all these magazines.

Get notified of new replies

To Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself

Old 02-15-2015, 10:24 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

Z51 Laguna Blue
Awesome! The C7 Stingray is the best bargain for performance going these days (in my opinion at least). Welcome to the PNW forum section. There are a lot of good people here. I also understand about having trouble writing the check. My '08 C6 has been paid off for several years now and I'm really thinking hard about ordering a Z06 in the next year or so. Fortunately, my wife agreed that it might not be a bad idea to keep my '08 as my daily winter (read wet weather) driver.

I've just about given up on buying a Corvette from a local dealership, especially if you want something specific and are going to order it. Many mark up above MSRP due to so few allocations so the out-of-state dealers who sell a lot of Corvettes are usually the way to go.

Look forward to seeing your new Stingray when it arrives.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:23 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by last901
...when Red Racer gets over here to pick up all these magazines.
See ya Tuesday if you're home....

Last edited by ExRedRacer; 02-16-2015 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:15 AM
MACE_Hardware
Instructor

Delivery day 05/02/2015 thru Ken Fichtner in Montana...

We just got home from a pretty cool trip of about 1200 miles. Got my 500 mile oil change in Missoula at 506 miles while my bride (of 24 years) and I ate breakfast across the street. (Yeah, sometimes the blind squirrel project planner finds a nut...)

My girlfriend and the new Z51 just north of Yellowstone...

I'll post up in the Laguna Blue thread after I take a putty knife to the bugs that I wasn't able to miss on the next 800 miles of the trip.

Quick Reply: Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself