Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Advice in Idaho

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 01:23 PM
McWeesh
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice in Idaho

Hey there. As a new 2000 Corvette C5 Roadster Convertible owner, I'm looking for some direction for some preferred local places (I live in Troy, work in Moscow near Pullman) for the following items to be addressed:

- 10 disc changer isn't working (Touch screen just says "Eject") but all other audio components work fine.

- Touch up paint work to the nose of the car

- A good place to store it. (Not a fan of the place in Pullman I currently have it. Is it that detrimental to say "Screw it!" and keep it outdoors at home?)

- Any general tips/things I should be aware of owning such an amazing car!

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-02-2015, 06:25 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm sure I'm in the minority with this opinion ... It can survive being outside. Try not to get too fixated on keeping it as pristine as you can, otherwise all of the little things that go wrong will start to wear thin on you . Being that it's a vert, I'd make sure the top is kept clean and covered in some protecting product for all of the rain it would see.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:18 PM
McWeesh
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Entaille
Being that it's a vert, I'd make sure the top is kept clean and covered in some protecting product for all of the rain it would see.
What type of protecting product? Is it something I could apply (especially during winter) or would it have to be at a dealership? And would I need to be concerned about any snow build up it may get? Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-03-2015, 03:45 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Entaille
I'm sure I'm in the minority with this opinion ... It can survive being outside. Try not to get too fixated on keeping it as pristine as you can, otherwise all of the little things that go wrong will start to wear thin on you . Being that it's a vert, I'd make sure the top is kept clean and covered in some protecting product for all of the rain it would see.
This is a Corvette we are talking about!!! Where we live we seldom have snow and I am sure the weather is better here!
A Vette is a special car and deserves pride of ownership. I would never leave our cars outside,especially a conv. At least get one of those "sheds" or trade it in for a "ford"!!!
Old 01-03-2015, 04:57 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

First, welcome to the Corvette Forum!! Great place to get all sorts of information and help. Visit the C5 General and C5 Tech sections to find all sort of answers about problems or tips and tricks.

I don't have the CD changer (actually the OEM radio in my '02 has an aftermarket unit) but there is an Audio/Electronics section where you should be able to get that question answered.

For storage, it would be best if you can store the car either inside or under cover. Given the chance of occasional heavy snow in the Palouse, it may not be a good idea to keep a convertible outside. There are some good car covers that work for outside storage where the car is in a shed.

I would definitely recommend storing the car where there is electrical power available. A good battery maintainer like a Deltran Battery Tender or CTEK unit will keep the battery fully charged. Otherwise, it would help to disconnect the battery and even remove it from the car and store the battery inside. Keep the gas tank full to avoid any buildup of condensation. Adding a bottle of Tecron with a fill-up helps too especially to keep the gas gauge working.

For paint work, you may have to find area specialty paint shops and ask to see some of their work. What color is the car??
Old 01-03-2015, 10:32 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

If you have to store it outside, get a good 3-4 layer Car Cover, it'll protect the paint and protect it from scratches.....Keep one on mine in the garage just to protect it from the kids...

Also check your battery for fluid level twice a year, add distilled water when need be. Winters are tough on batteries.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:19 AM
McWeesh
7th Gear

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
For paint work, you may have to find area specialty paint shops and ask to see some of their work. What color is the car??
She is grey.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:40 PM
alanfigliola
Instructor

Default Cd changer

Originally Posted by McWeesh
She is grey.
For what it is worth, my 02 vert has a changer in the well in the trunk. It has stopped working twice for reasons im not able to give you. I have decided to let it be, the cd player in dash works fine. If you arent **** about it working id leave it non-working. I think maybe it is effected by the harshness of the ride in the well of the trunk? Of course this is only my opinion. Good luck with your new ride , whatever you decide to do. Al Figliola
Old 01-05-2015, 09:22 AM
McWeesh
7th Gear

Originally Posted by alanfigliola
For what it is worth, my 02 vert has a changer in the well in the trunk. It has stopped working twice for reasons im not able to give you. I have decided to let it be, the cd player in dash works fine. If you arent **** about it working id leave it non-working. I think maybe it is effected by the harshness of the ride in the well of the trunk? Of course this is only my opinion. Good luck with your new ride , whatever you decide to do. Al Figliola
Thank for the advice Al. For convenience (and because am **** about issues with my vehicles) I definitely want to get it working. I didn't know if this was a common issue with a easy fix before I have to take it in.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:56 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by VIK TOY
This is a Corvette we are talking about!!! Where we live we seldom have snow and I am sure the weather is better here!
A Vette is a special car and deserves pride of ownership. I would never leave our cars outside,especially a conv. At least get one of those "sheds" or trade it in for a "ford"!!!
mine is garage kept and parked in an indoor parking garage at work. I take very good care of mine. that being said, it's driven in all weather conditions and if circumstances were different, I wouldn't be afraid to park it outside, either. I wouldn't say parking it outside means you don't take pride in owning it, just working with what you have. at the end of the day, it's a mass produced vehicle, meant to be enjoyed and cared for, however you see fit. parking it outside will not ruin it.

go to these guys for advice on product if you end up parking it outdoors! they will steer you right. I've not owned a vert before so I would not be able to advise there. http://www.autogeek.net/contopcleanp.html

Get notified of new replies

To Advice in Idaho

Quick Reply: Advice in Idaho