Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Seattle Owners, Chime In

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 02:39 PM
Ataractic
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Seattle Owners, Chime In

I live outside the Seattle area, but I'm nervous to take my C6 into the city because it's lowered. Does anybody have any experience driving a lowered Corvette or other lowered car in Seattle? Especially around Pikes Place Market area where the road has very steep up/down grades. I'm concerned about scraping the bottom of the car or having to pull a U turn in the middle of the street because I can't make it past a steep hill. Any helpful insight would be appreciated!
Old 01-28-2015, 03:00 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Ataractic
I live outside the Seattle area, but I'm nervous to take my C6 into the city because it's lowered. Does anybody have any experience driving a lowered Corvette or other lowered car in Seattle? Especially around Pikes Place Market area where the road has very steep up/down grades. I'm concerned about scraping the bottom of the car or having to pull a U turn in the middle of the street because I can't make it past a steep hill. Any helpful insight would be appreciated!
You might consider parking the car a few blocks from the Market and walking from there. There are several lots along Alaska Way (the waterfront) but with the tunnel, ahem, work, it might be a mess down there. In any event the hills near the market are quite steep but you can access the Market from other locations w/o having to worry about the hills.

Or, if you wish, you might park it at somebody's garage and simply take the bus to town.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:40 PM
Kaidog
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldn't take my car there and I'm at stock height.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:10 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I had my C5 TT lowered and drove my C6 GS down there at stock height (but with the low GS/Z06 factory lip it's actually worse/lower than the C5)...

You WILL scrape. However if you're careful it's do-able, however I'm used to hearing the scrape and very vigilant about avoiding (driving on an angle, slowing down when need be, etc) any damage.

I'd recommend parking elsewhere and walking/busing a bit in if the above stuff bothers you.

FWIW - I have a C7Carbon ZR1 Replica CF lip in my garage waiting to be installed, and as soon as it goes on I won't go into Seattle near pike place ever again.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:36 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

mine is lowered as well, and I drive around Seattle. I park in a parking garage with a nasty entry way. I go through some of those steep hills and occasionally my air dam bottoms out and claps/scrapes and scares the hell out of everyone near by. whatever, it's a plastic air damn built to be flexible, it can handle it. if it ever goes, it's like 90$ to replace. for what it's worth, I don't have a front lip, or side splitters, or anything of the sort that may make the car even lower, I'm just lowered a good amount (fully cut bushings and maxed out bolts..).
Old 01-29-2015, 05:20 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If you approach the Market from the West side, the roads aren't too steep. But you still have the challenge of finding a good parking spot.

You have to be on the lookout for potholes pretty much anywhere downtown and especially near the port.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:43 AM
HeavyLifter
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want to bring the car to downtown but avoid some of the larger hills and don't mind walking - park at Pacific Place (enter on 6th, before Olive Way)..... the garage is nice and then you're only walking 6-7 blocks down to the market.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:10 PM
Ataractic
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for all the info!

Entaille, you're lowered that much and are able to get up/down those hills? Do you approach at an angle? Even at an angle I'd be concerned about bottoming out like a seesaw...
Old 02-28-2015, 03:16 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

I worked in downtown Seattle for several years and drove my lowered C6 all over. I worked several blocks from Pike Place Market and usually drove over there every two months or so. I never "bottomed out" but occasionally the front air dam did scrape. The exit from my parking garage was tricky so I did end up replacing my front air dam after about 5 years.
It is very doable to not have any issues (I'm lowered by close to an inch from stock). Just eyeball the entrances to parking garages before pulling in.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:33 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Okay, now the burning question is: did you ever drive the car to Seattle?
Old 02-28-2015, 06:52 PM
Ataractic
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by last901
Okay, now the burning question is: did you ever drive the car to Seattle?
Haha, not yet. My first visit to the city with the C6 will be next weekend!
Old 02-28-2015, 06:59 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Haha, not yet. My first visit to the city with the C6 will be next weekend!
That's terrific! I'll alert the media.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:46 AM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

like Aaron mentioned, the front air dam will scrape at times but you won't bottom out . still, definitely take care entering steep driveways (slow, at an angle), and just take it easy on the big dips on the steep hills. you'll be fine, don't let the air dam touching down scare you away, mine takes an uber beating with how low it is. without exaggeration, it makes gentle contact several times daily.

Get notified of new replies

To Seattle Owners, Chime In

Quick Reply: Seattle Owners, Chime In