Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Ferrari Cavallino Collection - off topic

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 05:17 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Ferrari Cavallino Collection - off topic

I may have mentioned this earlier, but I have come by an amazing collection of out-o-print Cavallino Magazines. I guess I might be safe in describing these as the definitive magazine on Ferrari. To my mind, it's more like "Corvette" magazine than, say, any others.

I'm only mentioning here - perhaps not for the first time - because I'm not sure what to do with these. So far it appears I have a complete collection from #1 (2nd printing) through something like #170 or so. All appear to be perfect and have been kept in hard plastic "sleeves" that hold about 2 year's worth of issues each.

I'm still sorting through these but at least so far I know I have #1 through #80 inclusive, with plenty more to sort through. I suspect this is the finest collection of Cavallino on the market currently - or at least when I put it up for sale.

I just wanted to make mention of it here in case some of you are or know serious Ferrari enthusiasts who might be interested. I'd rather avoid having to ship them. Not sure what they are worth. Clearly, they are not cheap. I just noticed on E-bay that a single copy of issue #2 just sold for over $400. I'm sure the rest are worth far less, but with this many copies, who knows? thanks for letting me post this here.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

It sounds like your next new Vette may be buried within the funding covers of your collection. I was going to suggest the LeMay Museum but I suppose they would prefer your donation as opposed to their check. Good luck with them.

Last edited by Mufflerbearing; 02-10-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:09 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mufflerbearing
It sounds like your next new Vette may be buried within the funding covers of your collection. I was going to suggest the LeMay Museum but I suppose they would prefer your donation as opposed to their check. Good luck with them.
If only if it were so. I inherited those from my late friend. He also had a very nice and valuable book collection/library which I managed to sell for his widow at a fair price. She tok me out to the garage and pointed at this shelf full of carefully packaged Ferrari magazines (Cavallino) and asked if I wanted them. I already had a few copies myself, but I began to worry she was just going to toss them into the recycling bin and so went back over and took them away.

A complete set in this condition is worth a lot. Like many such publications, the value is in the first few editions. I suppose I could sell the first 20 for more than than the reminder of the collection.

As you might be able to tell, Pat, I do have some sentimental attachment to these. Of course, whatever I make will go to his widow.

I could do worse than keep them, but in a way I've been doing that for the last several years and have not pulled a single copy out of those plastic sleeves. This is not a Road & Track or Car and Driver stack of magazines. (Red Racer is coming over to pick those up out of my garage). This is serious literature, but probably most valuable to those who own the earlier Ferraris - and they probably have most of these already.

Still, I figure it does't hurt to put out the word. Maybe if I get the right offer for the first 20 editions (or, 50 or 100...) I'll give them all away. Right now I'm just hoping that one or more of the PNW forum members might now a Ferrari owner or collector who might want these.

Just sayin'
Old 02-10-2015, 09:33 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Hey Phil, if you can keep a couple of them for me, my youngest Son is a Mega Ferrari freak! We've done his room up in red & Black and lots of Ferrari pics all over. I would think you could get some good $$$ on ebay for most of them....
Old 02-11-2015, 02:42 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JETninja
Hey Phil, if you can keep a couple of them for me, my youngest Son is a Mega Ferrari freak! We've done his room up in red & Black and lots of Ferrari pics all over. I would think you could get some good $$$ on ebay for most of them....
Hi John,

I'm sure I have a few duplicates he can have. I'm still going through the collection.

As I mentioned in an earlier post. it's the earlier issue that bring the money. A single copy of issue #2 brought over $400 on Ebay. That seems to be the rarest edition since issue #1 was reprinted once. I'm debating whether to sell everything using those early issues as incentive, or to sell the early issues only. The shipping would certainly be cheaper.

As soon as I figure out what duplicates I have I'll let you know. Wish I'd known your son was a Ferraristi before I started giving stuff away.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:25 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Thanks Phil, appreciate it! Yeah,I gave him cool old R&T pull out posters from one the anv of Ferrari. I have boxes of old mags too! Ha Ha....
Old 02-11-2015, 10:43 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

You probably would get some interest on the Ferrari Forum.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/

Get notified of new replies

To Ferrari Cavallino Collection - off topic

Quick Reply: Ferrari Cavallino Collection - off topic