Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Someone cut a hole on my vert :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 02:14 PM
leowiz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Someone cut a hole on my vert :(

Well this happened . The vette was sitting in my carport and saw this in the morning. Since I have moved to SE Portland, this is the 3rd time someone vandalized my car time to convert this carport into a garage of some sort.

Anyone know how much it costs to get this fixed and who does it best in the Portland area?

Its a 2002 C5.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:56 PM
HeavyLifter
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WTF - That's not cool at all. Sorry that happened to you.

Hopefully the repair is not too costly.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:13 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by HeavyLifter
WTF - That's not cool at all. Sorry that happened to you.

Hopefully the repair is not too costly.
That's too bad. Very sorry to learn of it. Sounds like it's time to install a proximity alarm or maybe a motion sensor light in the carport.

Probably could use a guard dog as well.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:30 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

That's horrible! Probably some Jealous tweaker. You may want to get a car cover as a Yellow Corvette really stands out in SE Portland.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:36 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What the heck .. looks like someone was after something, not just vandalizing. Maybe if you put a cheap stereo on top of the car at night, you could distract them...

I'm not making light of this - that's gotta be a little gut wrenching to see when you walk out in the morning.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:43 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

The only good fix for that is to replace the top. Any patch or repair will not look good.
If you lock your car at night this is a good example of why people should not lock convertibles.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:53 PM
MaxDaemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmcoldcars
The only good fix for that is to replace the top. Any patch or repair will not look good.
If you lock your car at night this is a good example of why people should not lock convertibles.
Makes sense - however I always left my Fiero unlocked and they STILL broke out the driver's window and trashed the interior. After all that, my radio was too crappy for them and they left the faceplate lying in the seat. They did steal my 5cell Maglite...
Old 03-07-2015, 01:19 AM
leowiz
Burning Brakes

The did pry open the center console and threw everything around. There was really nothing in there to steal.

I am assuming the Chevy dealer would be able to fix this? Or is there a specialty place that does this kind of thing in Portland?
Old 03-07-2015, 09:33 AM
HeavyLifter
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by leowiz
The did pry open the center console and threw everything around. There was really nothing in there to steal.

I am assuming the Chevy dealer would be able to fix this? Or is there a specialty place that does this kind of thing in Portland?
While it was noted it may not look great to repair, it can be done. Rather than the dealer, I'd research and locate a high end auto upholstery shop (or audio/customization shop) and have them take a look at it.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:03 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

an upholstery shop in Porland can make the replacement . Had one redone in2001 and it was $1100. Probably $2500 now, including the top and labor.

Check out these guys and it should be a pretty simple restoration.

Good luck!

http://top-n-trim-upholstery.clickfo...car+upholstery
Old 03-07-2015, 04:22 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry, that's what happens when you live anywhere near Portland. Does your insurance cover theft and vandalism?
Old 03-07-2015, 08:13 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by VIK TOY
Sorry, that's what happens when you live anywhere near Portland.
Not true. Plenty of places in Portland that are awesome. NW Portland has some of the most expensive houses in PNW. He is in SE Portland, which is, no offence to the OP, a $hithole unless you are just over the river in certain places.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:36 AM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VIK TOY
Sorry, that's what happens when you live anywhere near Portland. Does your insurance cover theft and vandalism?
That's kind of unfair. Car prowling and theft is not restricted to any one type of neighborhood. I think the motives of the cretins who do this sort of thing may differ, but it happens just about everywhere. It's not a class issue. Well, save for the idiots who find this sort of activity amusing.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:04 AM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

I feel for you. I had a convertible Camaro a few years back and the same thing happened; the police officer who responded said he would never own a convertible if he couldn't securely park it for this very reason since he's responded to so many calls. When my roof was cut, there was nothing visible; they ended up taking about five used CDs that I had in the glove box. Almost $5,000 for the top & labor for about $10 in CDs.

Make sure you get the OEM top and your insurance doesn't try to get an aftermarket top instead.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:47 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've owned 2 convertibles and both were fine at night when unlocked and or the top down. It was when I locked them that I had the top cut into.

I park my coupe under a car port in NE PDX, but have a light on all night plus additional motion sensor lighting.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:44 PM
leowiz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JackTripper
Not true. Plenty of places in Portland that are awesome. NW Portland has some of the most expensive houses in PNW. He is in SE Portland, which is, no offence to the OP, a $hithole unless you are just over the river in certain places.
Ladd's addition is an otherwise nice area but there are bums walking around in the alley all the time and petty thefts and not uncommon. Regardless .....

Thanks NofakeJake for the recommendation. Any other recommendations for a place in Portland to get this replaced? I will probably go for a replacement unless the upholstery folks tell me they will do an impeccable job. Insurance guy is playing phone tag with me but hopefully will have that resolved soon.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:52 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by leowiz
Ladd's addition is an otherwise nice area but there are bums walking around in the alley all the time and petty thefts and not uncommon. Regardless .....

Thanks NofakeJake for the recommendation. Any other recommendations for a place in Portland to get this replaced? I will probably go for a replacement unless the upholstery folks tell me they will do an impeccable job. Insurance guy is playing phone tag with me but hopefully will have that resolved soon.
You're welcome. Hope things work out in your favor
Old 03-16-2015, 08:53 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Okay, it's been nearly 2 weeks and while I remain in empathy with the OP I'm curious to know how this was resolved. if indeed it was. Did the insurance company step up? Did the police find the culprits?

This whole thing just makes me upset over the cretins who might have done it, but maybe more importantly is how effective were the local police in tracking down the culprits?

Any updates?
Old 03-30-2015, 06:11 PM
leowiz
Burning Brakes

Sorry I didn't notice there was another post on this. Police: well, nothing on that front.

Insurance is covering it, just haven't had time to go get this fixed (been super busy + travel). Plan on doing it this week.

Get notified of new replies

To Someone cut a hole on my vert :(

Quick Reply: Someone cut a hole on my vert :(