Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

Kids + Corvette = smiles!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:15 PM
HeavyLifter
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Kids + Corvette = smiles!

Our daughter got to take her first ride in the Corvette today. Needles to say, she was happy!
Name:  Hlq2eNa.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  2.65 MB
Old 04-15-2015, 11:31 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Yeah, all the kids wave when I drive my bright yellow Z around, in the neighborhood, out shopping, anywhere I see kids. Cool that they like Vettes!
Old 04-16-2015, 02:32 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Nice

It was great meeting your family at E@RTC....your daughter seems like a real energetic little girl!
Old 04-23-2015, 09:55 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Kids are so amazing and wonderful. I have lots of stories about when I was in the Ferrari business and would call my wife to ask her to move her Honda out of her side of the garage so I could "hide" the Ferrari whenever I brought one home.

The neighborhood kids soon figured it out and figured if the Honda wasn't in the garage, then there must be a Ferrari or something cool in its place. Within 15 minutes of my arrival home, the doorbell started to ring and it wasn't unusual to spend the next couple of hours taking the kids for rides. It was one of the best things about my time in the business.

Oh, how I miss those days.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:08 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

When I was in high school (mid 70's) I was at a local park in an upscale neighborhood and heard the distinctive music of a Ferrari V12. I ran to a viewpoint in time to see a 365 GTB Convertible passing around a corner.

What a wonderful tune the V12's made. I heard Ron Tonkin drive up to an event in his Enzo and it just didn't sound right.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:25 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Funny, just the other day I got to do the same thing with my daughter (2). My wife said no, then after some discussion, we agreed in the neighborhood only with her car-seat. Nothing over about 20mph.

Is there a way to dis-able the passenger side air bag? That's her main concern.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:06 PM
NewfGuy
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted this picture in another thread last summer, right after I bought my C6. Because she works nights, we only get a rare "Daddy/daughter" night. This time, we went to dinner,then for a little ride. I stopped to get gas, and tossed her the keys and said "your turn!" Needless to say....

Old 04-27-2015, 04:18 PM
HeavyLifter
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Racer
Nice

It was great meeting your family at E@RTC....your daughter seems like a real energetic little girl!
Thanks! Was nice to meet you as well. Hopefully we'll be out at E@RTC plenty this season.

Originally Posted by Rexracer77
Funny, just the other day I got to do the same thing with my daughter (2). My wife said no, then after some discussion, we agreed in the neighborhood only with her car-seat. Nothing over about 20mph.

Is there a way to dis-able the passenger side air bag? That's her main concern.
Before our daughter went in the car, I read the manual out of curiosity to see what it says. Of course the 96 passenger airbag was before the days of an "off" switch, so we're left wondering what to do with the kids. I left the airbag fuse in the car and just went with what the manual suggested: If they're too small to fit forward facing, don't let them ride in the car. If they're big enough to go in the front, put the seat as far back as it goes and make sure they're properly restrained.

Our daughter rode in a standard booster seat with the factory Corvette lap/shoulder belt - with the lap portion "cinched" using the button in the car. We also just went around town - under 30mph. My wife and I both agreed that she won't be going for a highway ride for a number of years. That said, our 9yr old son is almost always in the Vette with me, I'm sure plotting to somehow convince me to let him drive it when he's of age.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:59 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Yet Another Story

I have to relate the story about my best buddy next door, then a grade schooler. He was walking through my yard and I asked him where he was going. He told me that he was on his way to meet his little sister's bus just up the next corner. Well, I had my car outside where I had been cleaning it and so suggested it might be fun to go welcome his sister with the top down and then drive her home.

So, he readily agreed and off we want. Since we drove to the bus stop we arrived early, which gave us a chance to converse a bit. So he said to me, "Phil, I know it's going to be a while, but when you die can I have this car"?

He's now in college at Western but still emails me to see if I reply. He still wants the car.

One of my treasured memories from the neighborhood kids.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:41 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by last901
Kids are so amazing and wonderful. I have lots of stories about when I was in the Ferrari business and would call my wife to ask her to move her Honda out of her side of the garage so I could "hide" the Ferrari whenever I brought one home.

The neighborhood kids soon figured it out and figured if the Honda wasn't in the garage, then there must be a Ferrari or something cool in its place. Within 15 minutes of my arrival home, the doorbell started to ring and it wasn't unusual to spend the next couple of hours taking the kids for rides. It was one of the best things about my time in the business.

Oh, how I miss those days.
What's your address Phil. I'll send my son right over. Just send him home to me with a bottle of single malt... Sounds fair to me.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:07 PM
INGER67
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
St Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by HeavyLifter
Our daughter got to take her first ride in the Corvette today. Needles to say, she was happy!
Too cute
Old 04-28-2015, 03:14 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

I can see a fight over who's riding shotgun with Dad in the future.

Get notified of new replies

To Kids + Corvette = smiles!

Quick Reply: Kids + Corvette = smiles!