Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

dyno tune in the northwest

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 03:10 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Received 739 Likes on 334 Posts
Default dyno tune in the northwest

I have long tube, catless headers that I'm installing this weekend, and I have quite a list of mods that I have finished in the last two weeks, and am looking for a place to do a dyno tune. I suppose the natural response is Tommy Wong, but his shop is over a month out right now! I called Marysville Speed & Custom just now, and they are a week out...but they want $850-$1400 for a dyno tune does anybody have a good tuner they use, or know of one that can fit me in sooner??? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ErikwithAK01; 05-21-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:47 PM
mcdonald77
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

did you give Ellis a call at speed secrets? ( http://www.speedsecretsefi.com/) He is now in Monroe I think, was in Snohomish. I've heard good things about him. I was going to have him tune mine but after the initial investment of wide band and hptuner pro I took it on myself. Speed and custom only have an inertia dyno so I think they tune south of 4k on the street and WOT on the dyno. I could be wrong. There are a few load bearing dyno in the seattle area.

I also called carb connection about dyno rental, it was reasonable a few years ago.

http://www.carbconn.com/

http://www.tmsperformance.com/dyno.cfm
Old 05-21-2015, 04:25 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I can only speak for myself but a few years back I had Ellis attempt to tune my modified Lingenfelter 427TT with extremely poor results.

I ended up taking the car to Alex at www.carbconn.com who has a nice Dynojet dual roller and really knows his stuff.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:54 PM
mcdonald77
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mufflerbearing
I can only speak for myself but a few years back I had Ellis attempt to tune my modified Lingenfelter 427TT with extremely poor results.

I ended up taking the car to Alex at www.carbconn.com who has a nice Dynojet dual roller and really knows his stuff.
I have heard good and bad about him....Hows it running now? Also do you think the poor results were lack of knowledge on his part, lack of a load bearing dyno or maybe a little of both?
Old 05-22-2015, 12:07 AM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mcdonald77
I have heard good and bad about him....Hows it running now? Also do you think the poor results were lack of knowledge on his part, lack of a load bearing dyno or maybe a little of both?
I sold the car two years ago but it was running great. Ellis had done some mechanical work for me and is very good with a wrench but he was in over his head at tuning it. I took him out a couple times with his laptop with no improvement. I wanted to put it on a dyno but he kept making excuses and finally stopped responding to my e-mails. Tom Wong is very good too and has his own dyno (Mustang). He just isn't geographically convenient for a lot of us.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:46 AM
rock_man
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mufflerbearing
Tom Wong is very good too and has his own dyno (Mustang). He just isn't geographically convenient for a lot of us.
Although I have not used him, my Vette buddies recommend Tom Wong.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:30 PM
JRE-C6
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I would not recommend Carb Connection for dyno tuning on computer controlled vehicles. They should stick to rebuilding carburetors...

Last edited by JRE-C6; 03-31-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:42 AM
Wtn4sno
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rock_man
Although I have not used him, my Vette buddies recommend Tom Wong.
x2 for Tom, used him in the past and he just finished doing some more up grades.. picking it up today..
Old 05-29-2015, 01:14 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

I actually have an appointment with Alex at carb connection in Redmond this weekend ill post about it Saturday...if I'm not out enjoying it too much hahah
Old 05-30-2015, 12:32 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ErikwithAK01
I actually have an appointment with Alex at carb connection in Redmond this weekend ill post about it Saturday...if I'm not out enjoying it too much hahah
I'd be interested in their philosophy of tuning LS engines. Do they remove the electronic throttle delay, do they adjust fan duration, timing and temps, stuff like that. What do they think is the perfect air to fuel ratio? It would be cool to get a list of what they change, not just numbers.

Don't come back without some serious recon and information for us
Old 05-30-2015, 04:07 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Ill give you a full review, just pulled on the dyno now
Old 05-30-2015, 07:33 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Ok just got back. Car runs great, MUCH stronger in the top end. They were very busy, so they started my car a little late, but i was out of there in 2.5 hours, so not that bad. He did 5 dyno pulls after the base line. Last year when i got a baseline demo before any mods, i was at 273whp and 285wtq, when i baselined after headers, intake, and bypassed mufflers i made 302whp and 319wtq. And today after the tune i made 319 whp and 338 wtq. Pretty good progression i think
Attached Images   
Old 05-30-2015, 07:41 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Nofakejake i grilled him for ya haha he was very knowledegable, even in Corvette terminoligy. I asked him to list me off a few things he normally checks, and modifies specifically for corvettes, and he had all manner of transmission values he changed, and he knew about cags, and the partial throttle, and he said he normally trys to tune for about 12.5 afr. He evened street tuned it after to get the off idle values, and ve tables just right. Mine ended up at about 12.8 afr and lower in the important parts, but i also told him to squeeze out a little more if he could. i was impressed by the backlog catalog he had of corvette tunes. He also does a lot of exotics tuning, and has pictures on the wall to prove it haha! The guy's ok, i will continue to come back to him in the future, and at $492 out the door, its a hard to beat
Old 05-30-2015, 10:42 PM
Mufflerbearing
Burning Brakes

Alex's shop is also a certified emissions station which can help the rare very high HP car pass it's scheduled State emissions test. Can't remember who told me that.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:00 AM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

I've used Alex twice and know multiple people who have all had good success. He did a lot of mods on my previous cts-v, and no issues.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:20 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Nofakejake i grilled him for ya haha he was very knowledegable, even in Corvette terminoligy. I asked him to list me off a few things he normally checks, and modifies specifically for corvettes, and he had all manner of transmission values he changed, and he knew about cags, and the partial throttle, and he said he normally trys to tune for about 12.5 afr. He evened street tuned it after to get the off idle values, and ve tables just right. Mine ended up at about 12.8 afr and lower in the important parts, but i also told him to squeeze out a little more if he could. i was impressed by the backlog catalog he had of corvette tunes. He also does a lot of exotics tuning, and has pictures on the wall to prove it haha! The guy's ok, i will continue to come back to him in the future, and at $492 out the door, its a hard to beat
Thanks Erik! Those are respectable numbers. When are you going to put in a big bumpy cam

Looks like I owe you a beer for all your investgative effort when you roll up in that bad boy next time
Old 05-31-2015, 11:47 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Thanks I'll take it haha! I'm not sure what is going in next, I have a Callaway intake on the way, but I'm either going with the Texas speed 5.3 stage 2.5 heads, since they get the big valves, higher compression, dual springs with titanium retainers, and a cnc port job for $1400, and there is no core charge, the castings are brand new. Or their 224/224 - .581/.581 112 lsa cam, I've got the money for one but not both right now (lookin for a car to buy the wife, so we need a little extra scratch in the bank when we find a deal). Then a 3200 stall converter, and I'll be where I want to for a while around 100hp over stock...then either a big inch motor, or a supercharger hahah, gotta pay the car off before that though lol

Get notified of new replies

To dyno tune in the northwest

Old 06-01-2015, 04:33 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

I've tuned my own C5 on the street and at the dragstrip.
Ditto for my turbo 5.3 Nova.
Along with 3 other turbo LS cars.

2 weeks ago I tuned a C5 on a friends DynoTech. The heart breaker!
Stock 6sp LS1 with long tubes and a vararam. No cats.
Pretty fun experience.
Easy to change fan settings. Making the throttle react faster can lead to a bricked PCM. It's not recommended.
The owner was pleased. Then traded the car in on a C6!

Ron
Old 06-01-2015, 11:44 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Thanks I'll take it haha! I'm not sure what is going in next, I have a Callaway intake on the way, but I'm either going with the Texas speed 5.3 stage 2.5 heads, since they get the big valves, higher compression, dual springs with titanium retainers, and a cnc port job for $1400, and there is no core charge, the castings are brand new. Or their 224/224 - .581/.581 112 lsa cam, I've got the money for one but not both right now (lookin for a car to buy the wife, so we need a little extra scratch in the bank when we find a deal). Then a 3200 stall converter, and I'll be where I want to for a while around 100hp over stock...then either a big inch motor, or a supercharger hahah, gotta pay the car off before that though lol
Make sure to take care of the wife FIRST!
Old 06-01-2015, 12:56 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Oh yeah, for sure, she gets the next new car, and before I dump another K or 2 into the Vette. I bought a Wrangler and built it for full on offroad use, then bought the Vette and put about 5K in it in about a year haha. Happy wife happy life, goes a long way, especially if she's a redhead haha!

Quick Reply: dyno tune in the northwest