Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Hawaii | Alaska.

carbon fiber work, or another paint job???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:23 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

Received 739 Likes on 334 Posts
Default carbon fiber work, or another paint job???

I have a dilema. I'm gearing up to do my next major mod, I have two lined up, with only enough time to do one. I am either going to plastidip my car another color, or order all the stuff to make parts for it out of carbon fiber. Painting the car is fun, and I've done it several times, so I can do all the work myself. But I'd also really like to do my own carbon work as well , and considering one of my degrees is in polymer science, majoring in fiber composite structural engineering, I can do all my own work there as well What it comes down to is that they both will cost me exactly the same to do...so I'll leave it up to the community. What do you want to see more, a write up on how I go about plastidipping my C5 electric lime green? Or a write up on how I go about skinning, or outright making parts for the car out of carbon?
Old 06-16-2015, 12:18 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 136 Posts

No contest, carbon. Electric lime green is not for your machine
Old 06-16-2015, 12:38 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

I have been thinking about doing the fuel rail covers, various interior bits, and my targa top to start. The materials are actually quite cheap, I can probably do all that for about $250. Then I'll probably make a hood mold, and build a couple 100% carbon hoods, none of that carbon over glass stuff. Any other ideas?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:03 AM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ErikwithAK01
I have been thinking about doing the fuel rail covers, various interior bits, and my targa top to start. The materials are actually quite cheap, I can probably do all that for about $250. Then I'll probably make a hood mold, and build a couple 100% carbon hoods, none of that carbon over glass stuff. Any other ideas?
Rear spoiler and side skirts....
Old 06-16-2015, 11:55 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

I actually have plans to build side skirts from scratch already! If i had a set, or a spoiler, I could make a mold for them, or even just skin them in carbon. That stuff isn't too bad on the difficulty level, it's when you start doing crazy detailed parts, like the center console trim on the c5 where you have to use a more in depth method, like vacuum infusion. I can take on some extra work while I'm gearing up to do my own stuff, if you want a spoiler, skirts or whatever skinned in carbon, I can do that if you just pay for the materials, and provide the parts (way easier to do everything all at once, or in batches).
Old 06-19-2015, 01:13 PM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

I just ordered 3 yards of 2x2 twill and all the proper extras. Round one will be my fuel rail covers, a battery den cover, my door latch bits, maybe the mirrors, and waterfall, then i'll tackle to targa top! Stay tuned
Old 06-19-2015, 02:23 PM
NofakeJake
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ErikwithAK01
I just ordered 3 yards of 2x2 twill and all the proper extras. Round one will be my fuel rail covers, a battery den cover, my door latch bits, maybe the mirrors, and waterfall, then i'll tackle to targa top! Stay tuned
Nice
Old 06-30-2015, 09:11 AM
ErikwithAK01
Drifting

got my materials in the mail almost a month ahead of schedule! Carbon fiber is in very high demand recently, so supply takes forever to catch up with demand, but i got lucky in that another large batch supplier cancelled an order, WOOT! I will be starting a new thread this weekend to chronicle my work, and will be updating it regularly, I have lots of parts to do

Get notified of new replies

To carbon fiber work, or another paint job???

Quick Reply: carbon fiber work, or another paint job???